Fave Guitarists

It’s not on tumblr anymore but I remember a live version of a specific rammstein song and when the bass player started his part it was just MMMMMMM delicious. They can be subtle in a good way

1 Like

Shawn Lane, Chris Poland, John Sykes, David Gilmour, Ian Thornley

David Gilmour
Eddie Van Halen
Roger McGuinn
Frank Zappa
Melissa Paternoster

1 Like

Clapton, Satriani, Steve Vai, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and too many other to list here.

Wow, all these post and no one has mentioned Prince yet?

Regardless of how you feel about him or his music, you gotta admit the guy could shred a guitar.

3 Likes

Poison Ivy of the Cramps

to be fair, people have different preferences for the music they listen to, but it doesnt mean he isnt an amazing musician.

I listen to everything.

If someone is genuinely a good musician, they are easy to spot.

Edit: I suppose I should add, I’m a musician too, so I’m always looking for the people who excel at their craft :smiley:

2 Likes

I had to limit to 5! Or I’d have been going on for a while yet.
But yes. Prince was amazing and still cannot believe he’s no longer with us. His music is deeply moving.

Yes. Exactly. Blues, classical, country, jazz… and on and on.
Any genre. Anytime.

1 Like

i meant on a day to day basis, so if someone listens to classic rock or metal, they are mostly going to think about those types of guys, so a guy like Prince wouldnt necessarily be at the forefront of who they would think about right away

that being said, he still had the best superbowl show in history and its not even close

1 Like

I don’t think anyone is disrespecting him, he was a fine guitarist. Musical tastes are nearly limitless so if you ask enough people, every guitarist to ever play will be mentioned.

I think part of it is that it wasn’t really talked about much relative to the other stuff in his life. I never listened to his music so I didn’t have an opinion until I stumbled on this shortly after he died.

3 Likes

Oh I didn’t take that away at all.

I’m just surprised that at least one person didn’t put his name out there.

No matter how “eccentric” someone is, I’m still giving them a go.

Took me a while for my music tastes to broaden enough to listen to some of the music that in my youth I wouldn’t have liked, but the original Batman soundtrack is what turned my head on Prince. After that, I listened to some of his other stuff and realized he was an absolute monster guitar player and an incredible showman.

2 Likes

Oh yeah! He did some beautiful guitar work on While My Guitar Gently Weeps in that George Harrison Tribute video. One of the most awesome songs ever created. I think it sums up the human condition. We all have love in us, but some of us need to wake it up.

EDIT: Oops! I connected this to the wrong poster. I meant it to connect to one with the Prince video. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Zakk Wylde is fantastic.
Ola Frenning/Peter Wichers were a great duo as well

I can’t really think of any others atm

My top five:

1. Mark Knopfler
  2. Jimmy Hendrix
  3. Steve Vai
  4. Zach Wilde
  5. Joe Satriani
1 Like

Not one person said buckethead, disappointing

Pantera’s word not allowed Daryl. I may not have cared much for Pantera’s vocals but dude’s guitar gave me chills. Still the only guy in the biz that could make a guitar sound like that, but maybe I’ve fallen off on the new stuff idk.

1 Like

I don’t have one. But as a mortal that heard Through the Fire and Flames… I have to say Herman Li.

Oh, one that I haven’t seen mentioned is Randy Rhodes. Ozzy’s Tribute album was one of my favorites growing up.

1 Like