*Fairbanks* Eve coalition? Addons breaking tos?

https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/comments/cu9gck/fairbanks_super_coalition_using_addon_to_gain_an/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Fairbanks Super Coalition using Addon to gain an unfair advantage and create Mafias

This super coalition on the Fairbanks server is taking an eve approach to the game. They are creating an overwhelming addon that will give them an unfair advantage on a server. They are planning on using this to create Mafias cross-faction and possibly cross server for black lotus, devilsaur, ect.

A few of the important parts of the addon/external resource

• Activity Tracker - Keeps track of guild timezones and tracks when raid leaders log in. Can set to alert
  • Meeting Alert - Alerts when a rival guild forms a group/raid. Can predict if for pvp/pve
  • Auction tracker - keep track of what players list what on the AH to track for example devilsaur
  • Standing setter - set opposite faction guilds as “blue” to differentiate from in mafia or not

This coalition was created by just recruiting guilds based only on numbers. Once they had the numbers they slowly started letting the coalition know what they would be doing. So far nobody has really spoken out against them.

The way my guild found out about this was when they reached out to our guild on a different server to try and attempt to do the same thing. They essentially offered to bankroll the guild to provide the muscle in order to assert their economic dominance.

Was talked about on the Final boss podcast 1.75

screenshots in reddit link of conversation

I would assume this breaks SOME type of TOS no?
A blizz response would be solid…

15 Likes

Pretty amazing if they can pull it off.

1 Like

I recall hearing about this type of thing happening on pservers. I would assume Blizzard would take care of it rather quickly.

As long as the addon isn’t breaking the EULA, I’m not sure if Blizzard will step in. Maybe if they orchestrate killing quest givers for days on end, but I’m sure these people, if this is real, have done some research to see how they can push the boundaries of what Blizzard will allow.

EVE players can be monsters, fun to watch from the outside but I imagine it sucks to be a part of it. I’m curious to see where this goes. It’s much more interesting than the faux-outrage of the last few days.

1 Like

What theyre discussing doing will go faaaaaaaaar beyond breaking the ToS. Their addons are designed to track other players and their activity solely so that this group can attain a non-intended advantage over those players.

Something like this would absolutely affect the entire server’s quality of life. These cartels were rampant in private servers and dominated and ruined economies on those servers. Blizzard wont have any issue removing players like these, because it would be far more damaging to let them go on doing it.

11 Likes

Can they just do this wherever or do they need to be near the player they’re tracking? How precise is it? Technically you can track people just by using /who but you can’t tell where in the zone they are.

If the addon can track a player’s location accurately without being near the player then I’d definitely say they’ll be getting banned.

I can’t wait for someone to leak the addon to the general population and wreak havoc though. You know someone is going to do it and the drama is going to be hilarious.

Uhh… where in the ToS is it stated that an add-on isn’t allowed to give you an advantage?

I think the only thing that applies here might be cross faction collusion, which all of us, literally every single soul playing Classic, will be doing via discord.

1 Like

AddOns must not negatively impact World of Warcraft realms or other players.

Technically, and literally, that is what the addon would do. They’ll get banned. I wouldn’t worry about it. The negative impact would outweigh the 15 bucks a month. So Blizz would take them out.

It’s gonna be hilarious.

3 Likes

They arent tracking exact location. What theyre doing is tracking:

1. Raiding guild logon times, this is so they can restrict the AH stock prior to these guild’s raids and markup prices

2. Individual players of interest, They can track individuals they want to figure out when they typically are logging in/how long theyre logged in for. This can allow them to track the more successful gatherers/farmers and figure out when they typically farm. They can use this info in a variety of ways, though it will likely be used to try and grief those players in some way

3. Who posts auctions, and what theyre posting. This one will really help them paint targets on specific people. They can figure out who their competition is and what they’re typically farming, then they can track them individually to find the times they like to play. After that its just a matter of narrowing down where theyre farming, which with all that other information wont be too difficult.

With a large coalition they can 100% put a lockdown on every single expensive and useful resource on the server, and essentially run the market in any direction they want to.

A non-intended advantage. Its the difference between a mod that helps you keep track of your CDs vs a mod that allows you to stalk and harass another player, thus ruining their WoW experience.

7 Likes

You can do everything you said with a pen and paper though. Seems like breaking the addon would only make them work a little harder.

Blizzard would actually have to see the action itself as disruptive and I’m not sure if they’ve ever directly stepped in as far as the economy is concerned. Other than when it comes to real money trading or using bots to farm, of course.

Yep, the rule prohibiting cross faction communication was created in the horse-and-buggy days. With Discord, rules like that are irrelevant. Irl it would be like having certain laws apply to ‘poor’ people but not to ‘rich’ people (with insider information access). Hmm, actually that’s how many laws work in reality so why not in a rpg fantasy game? lol

People already can track AH postings in WoW on every realm. If you want to mask your identity, easy solution would be to use a bank alt.

The more involved part would be tracking who is providing the supply of herbs and ore to the bank alts.

Way to shift the goalposts.

But alright, let’s see.

Tracking when raid leaders log in. Not negatively impacting anyone.
Tracking when a rival guild forms a group or raid. Not negatively impacting anyone.
Auction tracking. Not negatively impacting anyone

“Standing setter.” This one is interesting to me. I don’t actually know the rules on “collusion” on PvP servers. You’re not really required to kill the opposite faction, so having an add-on that just flags someone on the opposite faction as someone you shouldn’t attack isn’t really a problem, I think. It’s no different than just reading the guild name and not attacking for that reason.

I’m confused. I thought they were using this/these add-on(s) specifically to gain an advantage. Isn’t that an intended advantage?

I mean… that depends on the “harassment.” Killing someone in PvP isn’t harassment, for example. PvP solutions to PvP problems.

What exactly is the plan with this coalition? To gank Devilsaurs? I mean, is that really harassment?

In theory, yeah they could, but the amount of manpower and effort required to manually track those numbers would make doing so nearly impossible. it would be far more than just ‘a little harder’.

You’re also not considering that, like Gatherer, these addons will create databases that will always be updating and essentially creating a constant, server wide databank that anyone in this coalition would be able to access and see. Thats FAAAAR too much information for them to have on other player’s playing habits.

They would definitely see this as disruptive. A server’s economy is extremely important to the health of that server. It is not good for there to essentially be a monopoly of players able to influence the market at will, using data that they really should not have access to.

Blizzard 100% has stepped in and banned people for affecting other’s experience of the game, I remember in vanilla like 40 people got banned for cross-faction collusion because they were coordinating Devilsaur kills and putting an absolute monopoly on the leather. Thats just a single resource and they werent even tracking anyone.

2 Likes

I mean you can try to simplify it as nothing more than an advantage, everyone enjoys some good old internet gaslighting and damage control, it’s fine.

Ignoring the overall reason and failing to see what will come from the add-on/guild is a bit short sighted in my opinion.

Making an add-on so no one else can EVER farm Devilsaurs, lotus, etc. except people the guilds deem worthy (which is the intent of the add-on, no other reason) and controlling the market on said items would not be allowed by the ToS.

It’s not a “simple farming/tracking” addon.

6 Likes

It can be done without an add-on, though, so… what, are you going to ban people for taking “your” mobs all the time, or something?

Mishu has it dead on. You’re arguing arbitrary points and looking at it as if its small scale. We are talking about a group of people monopolizing a server’s economy and directly affecting the gameplay of thousands of people.

The addons arent the direct issue, they just help make this entire operation even easier to coordinate and operate. At the same time I think you’re severely underestimating the amount of time and effort it would take to manually track all this stuff and distribute it to everyone constantly.

You clearly dont have a grasp of the scale of this operation, and the amount of damage this can do to a server’s economy. These exact types of coalitions DESTROYED private server economies on the regular, and the only reason they werent banned on those servers is because the mods of those servers simply didnt care. They got their money.

6 Likes

Yeah.
That’s exactly what I am stating.
Taking mobs in an open environment is bad and against ToS. Totally what has been stated by myself and others.
Great reading comprehension.
:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I was asking a question, bud. Try answering it if you want me to understand your argument.