Fact of the day: High Elves are Blood Elves

Erm, not High Elves. They joined them AFTER they screwed up with that astral dude.

“tall, fair skin, blonde hair, magestic elf, that is a blood elf” =/= that is a playable High Elf. Stop misquoting what Ion says.

2 Likes

Blizzard retcons and changes their lore all the time. Especially the ones from books. Just look at Elerethe and Muradin.

1 Like

If I may be so bold, I believe the core of the issue is neither that High Elves and Blood Elves are the same/different. I believe it is an issue of ease of pvp recognition.

I believe that to also be the reason we shall never see the better AR options on the table. Sad for those of us wishing for Furbolgs, Murlocs, Naga and Orges.

void elves got nuked by void energies, got severed off from the light, turned blue and sprouted tentacles. being void corrupted is the justification of creating them, VOID elves will never be de voided

this isnt even worth responding to. but always happy to expose pros. blood elves ARE our high elves. thats a quote 15 years old btw and was established wayy back in wc3 expansion tft

3 Likes

Wow you just missed my point. The Void Elves turns out that way because they screwed up. The High Elves, which, by the way–they’re NOT void elves, joined them late. I’m pretty damn sure they wouldn’t find another astral dude to screw up.

you should look up steve danusers polygon interview on patch 8.2, he comments on exactly what you are talking about and why they are there and why void elf numbers have grown far larger then a ‘crack squad’

This argument has been going around since Vanilla, originally as a reason why we couldn’t have Transmog. “I need to see my enemies gear to pvp them”. Then “the profile is so important for PVP recognition”. But Pandas are a thing. Void Elves are a thing. Do you think the Horde in a BG are saying “I dunno man, this blood elf DK came up and just capped our node” when a void elf walks into camp?

In most PVP situations you are frantically tab targetting to find the lowest health healer and blowing them up as fast as possible. There are so many toys to change your appearance to the opposite faction, or model similarities, or what have you…you see a red name, you look at their health…Red Name with a million health? You run away. Red Name with 200K health trying to get a world quest done? You blow it up. :slight_smile: That’s PVP recognition.

1 Like

Ah, yes, the Metzen quote. I’m sure you’re also aware that that was pre-Burning Crusade launch, which the vast majority of our current High Elf lore and information came after. Even in that panel he said they were still working things out in how it should work. And that was for people who were familiar with High Elves but weren’t aware what had happened. Yes, Blood Elves were High Elves.

Metzen also said in that panel that Blood Elves were all sucking Fel magic, not just Arcane. So…

3 Likes

so… he even makes the distinction from the ‘elite’ blood elves with kael in outland and the generic elves back on azeroth later on in the same presentation. so… he even clarifies this for people like you in an ask CDEV later… so… blood elves are high elves and high elves are playable. and another flavor of high elf is also playable… so… any logical person can see void elves killed alliance high elves stone dead and the alliance isnt getting 2 high elf options(one identical) to a horde race and everything high elven is tied up with them…

so…there is no chance and no way blizzard is ever going to give a carbon copy of an existing race to the other side in a faction based game and thats why you got void elves

3 Likes

He makes the distinction that the ones on Azeroth are working to get to Outland, where their “desiny lies”. But you seem to be insinuating that it means that he said only the elite ones were sucking Fel magic. Which is false. He said they were all sucking Fel.

It’s funny that you talk about clarifying things, when you ignore swaths of lore that BLIZZARD has put out that state that Blood Elves are not High Elves anymore.

Like this one: " The situation regarding blood elf eyes is, in fact, extremely similar to that of the green skin of orcs: just being around heavy use of fel magic turned the eyes of the blood elves green. You could be the most pious of priests or most outdoorsy of Farstriders, chances are, if you were a high elf in Quel’Thalas or Outland following the Third War, you were around fel energies, and your eyes would turn green."? I always thought that was hilarious, considering that a bunch of High Elves lived on Outland for like 30 years without getting green eyes, and the Mag’har never had green skin, despite the same.

But that’s just changing his mind on all Blood Elves sucking Fel directly. Funny thing is you’re willing to accept later changes and updates to the lore until it counters what you desire. You ignore ALL the High Elven lore and information that Blizzard has put out there, because it goes against your head cannon.

4 Likes

and yet you cant even cite a single thing saying flat out blood elves are NOT high elves

blood elves ARE high elves. that is not opinion. that is fact

because blood elves are high elves, alliance high elves make no damn sense and are a carbon copy of a horde race and for what? a couple mage types standing around? a mom raising children in dalaran? why does this need to be playable again can anyone tell me???

the flat truth is high elves are blood elves. the high elves were betrayed, renamed themselves the blood elves, left the alliance joined the horde in TBC

this isnt subjective. it should have been over when metzen said blood elves are our high elves and they were blizzards twist on traditional high elves. even when you are looking at them in the character creator and their info says they are the high elves and you play the game and zone into quel’thalas. it should have been clear then

even when asked directly ion scrunched his face and said ‘high elves? spoilers guys, blood elves pretty much high elves’ and even repeated this stance again not even 6 months later. the denial of lore from you is unreal

5 Likes

I already have. But as usual, you ignore it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20071231120355/http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/encyclopedia/index.xml

There is the archive of it, and yes, it’s still cannon. Even though it talks about Blood Elves and High Elves and their relationship with each other, I doubt it’ll help you understand, considering… everything you’ve already said.

You seem to think that “High Elf” is your base race. It’s not. It’s mutable, you changed to Blood Elf, and as Blizzard said, no longer consider yourselves truly high elven.

No one is arguing that Blood Elves did not USED to be High Elves. But you’re blind if you cannot see that Blood Elves and High Elves are now different groups.

4 Likes

blood elf isnt a race. its a badge of honor the high elves wear to honor their fallen kingdom and people

im not arguing if blood elves are high elves with you anymore

its not our fault the pro argument is so weak they have to deny lore. to claim blood elves arent high elves so alliance high elves make sense. ill let your argument speak for itself

but i do want to add, if antis are wrong and you are right why the hell did you get void elves then

2 Likes

Your race is Blood Elf.

Classic. You deny lore and then say others are doing so.

Is that because I provided proof that countered your head cannon?

2 Likes

are grimtotem tauren still tauren? yes, grimtotem tauren are just tauren who call themselves the grimtotem. blood elves are just the VAST overwhelming majority of high elves who call themselves blood elves and own everything that makes a high elf a high elf. this is basic stuff

and really if you want to get technical the entire race is blood elf now and any individual who identifies as ‘high’ elf is really just a blood elf wanting to show neutrality or dissent

3 Likes

Just like Blood Elves are still Elves. Your problem is you think that “High Elf” is the base, like Tauren is. It’s just Elf.

5 Likes

what game are you playing dude. it aint WoW

So if someone disagrees with you, then they aren’t playing the same game? Oh my.

3 Likes

does changing an adjective change your race. this is where the pro argument is at