Extended Queues Expected on Select Realms (Updated Aug 20)

make more layers or make more realms … coz literally those are the relms that i made my toons on…

Maybe another Pacific PvP realm to the list. That gives 3 for each area and can flesh out the demand

Layering could easily eliminate all queues IF THEY ALLOCATE ENOUGH HARDWARE. But if they think the pop is going to fall off dramatically shortly after launch, they probably don’t want to spend the money on hardware that is simply not going to be utilized after a few weeks.

If, after a few weeks, populations decline dramatically I’m sure Blizzard will handle it with server mergers. If the populations remain really high into phase 2, I’m sure they’ll handle that as well.

If the server says “Full” it’s got a lot of people on it and will likely lead to long wait times. That’s a perfectly informed decision.

Whether “Full” means 10 players or 1000000 players is quite irrelevant.

1 Like

This. Faction balance is huge. They could even just give H:A % if they don’t want to divulge hard numbers. Since they won’t likely do anything to maintain balance, that info could help the players work toward it. It won’t ever be perfect, but it’s got to be better than what is currently happening on retail.

Sounds like a good question to ask during the reddit Q&A.

Not enough incentive. Established guilds don’t want to move all their people. People with their names they had to FIGHT to get will just be disappointed because so many are just being held for ransom. Less headache to just stay where we are at and endure ques for a little while.

1 Like

The problem with divulging faction ratios is it tends to reinforce the imbalance. If someone wants to roll Alliance and sees a server with 30% Alliance, they will likely stay away, furthering the trend of the server being imbalanced.

By not showing the ratios, there is a higher chance random subs will bring it back to balance. It is understandable you want to know, but there is a good reason Blizzard does not tell you. People will always speculate on forums as to what the real ratio is, but there is always doubt to avoid a snowball of one faction. Most people subbing don’t read the forums in such detail. An official Blizzard number will make them avoid it, though.

Also, what do you use for the ratio? Created characters? Accounts? Current logged players? Depending on what you choose, the ratio might not tell you what you really want to know.

Even telling people Low/Medium/High server pop makes them freak out, but it’s good Blizz tells us for the sake of queues and different play styles.

5 Likes

To be fair they actually think BFA is a good expansion so…

3 Likes

This isn’t the case. My guild picked a server and I made my character within 5 minutes of opening, we had no idea it was going to be a ‘full’ server. If I had known I wouldn’t have made characters there.

Not going to give up my names now though.

1 Like

That’s your decision and you have every right to stay. Just be prepared to face the hour-2hr long queue times which is guaranteed to happen.

1. Players per layer is naturally dynamic, so there isn’t really an answer to that question. I don’t know how they designed it, of course, but typically for something like that you will have a couple tuning parameters for minimum/maximum player densities and layers will be added/merged when those numbers are hit. So sometimes you will be in a small layer, sometimes you will be in a big layer, some times you will be in a big layer that becomes two small layers, etc.

2. Layers per server would also dynamic, but the answer is the minimal amount. If player pops are low enough to allow everyone to play on the same layer, then there will only be one layer.

3. Probably a lot. I would guess 50k+ but I have no idea.

full for what? full for p1 with tons of layers? full for when p2 starts and layering end?

more information cant be a bad thing.

my thoughts exactly! come launch sitting in that queue is exciting as hell!

What exactly does severe mean

Is it 1-2 hour wait in queue

or a 4+ hour wait in queue

some reference point would assist

3 Likes

I was really hoping we could get an actual central server. Here in South Texas i did a trace route and from here to West is only off by 6 or so ms. Meaning Texas players will always be milliseconds behind people near Chicago and people near LA.

We should have a server in Dallas or something.

People will start dropping off that game in 3 days - the queues will disappear pretty fast.

The servers are actually located in Chicago. The PST ones are located in LA.

Na then you wont have an excuse for being bad and them having 6 ms on you

It’s good that you released another server but I suspect now that people have made their plans, guilds have coordinated, lots of people got their names(many of which are widely used/popular, so it makes it even sweeter to get it), Stalagg is going to end up as a sort of wasteland server. Sure it’ll be populated early on because there’s plenty of people looking to dodge streamers and queues but when the attrition finally hits, it’ll be servers like herod/whitemane/faerlina that still wind up with a healthy playerbase. That’s just my own opinion/prediction on the issue.

It just would’ve been a lot better had the additional server been available prior to name reservation day, prior to people planning around the streamers, etc. I think Blizzard is underestimating the demand a bit. Even with the layers and much larger total server capacities now, I still think more servers were needed from the jump. Then again, I don’t have all the data Blizzard has access to so this is just all a gut feeling. We’ll see what happens on launch. I’m not moving away from Herod. The last thing I want is to wind up on a lower pop server once the attrition hits. I’d rather deal with queues early on and I think a lot of other people who rolled on Herod feel the same way. Some will leave to avoid queues. Many others fear being invested in a realm that winds up low pop before we even reach phase 2.

2 Likes

They still need 2 more. Another EST and another PST. Going to be slightly annoyed and upset if Fairbanks gets added to the list above. There are no other servers to choose.

Im getting a bit worried now

1 Like