Exploring Kalimdor, any expectations?

Even under the sign of law, morality and political correctness? What else limits the story?
Let’s say people take trolls into slavery. Or exterminate the tauren. Or internecine warfare between humans using Forsaken technology. It will definitely be the second world war. Human vs Human, everyone else is backing up. Delightful…

Although … spend the expansion on researching human identity, for everyone else, subject the subjects of war to research. If the main characters are people, then she will be thrust into three expansions. Mda.

1 Like

I was thinking more of a "no sacred cows in that anyone and everyone can die/have horrible things happen to them.

if any of those things were to happen I am hoping it is done in as negative a light as possible.

Even if they are justified and understood in their cruelty?

I would say even then. And WoW has never been shy to point out genocide is awful and as a general rule should not be done.

Care to find me the page? I tried looking but it doesnt seem like the night elf host resorted to mass conscription and was constantly being reinforced by the taurens, dwarves, dragons etc.

The civilians you are talking about would be as effective as human militias. Sure in a pinch they could fight and defend themselves but for the most part would easily be outclassed by seasons warriors. Fun fact, humans also know that trick:

Roused by the tales of the orcs’ atrocities during the Second War, the peasants have
learned to use both pick and axe to defend their communities if threatened.

Ok, camps and condemnation to death at the hands of the wild. Traditional ways of displaying non-cruelty in WoW.
Let’s say, enslave everyone and release them one by one into the jungle.

True, if you carry out all this with a mocking smile on your face … In the history of WoW, there were no cases of extermination, which both sides perceived as a blessing? At least until the representatives of the exterminated side were on the verge of death.

M … Atal’Hakkar? Not exactly what me need.

1 Like

Not necessarily. The night elves have been portrayed as far more militarized than most player races (especially in the Alliance) due to their civilization since the Sundering basically being built around a mandate to protect Hyjal, police the wilds of more than half a continent and ensure the druids can fulfill their part of the arrangement with the Aspects uninterrupted. Meaning unlike most standing armies, the Sentinel Army arguably wasn’t so much made to protect night elf society, as night elf society was formulated around supporting the Sentinel Army in its ongoing mission.

So having lots of noncombatants around - especially concentrated in one place - was a pretty recent thing that they hadn’t really done since before the War of the Ancients. And since there hasn’t been any sort of boom in new births since the Third War, even the civilians in Teldrassil would mostly be individuals who were still trained to fight from having had to survive as small villages and standalone family homes (such as the Edunes in Ashenvale) amidst the wilds of Kalimdor for millennia before they built Darnassus.

It’s part of why an insistence in certain other threads of the night elves being all but eradicated has never held water; the fact that most of their army was diverted away when the invasion of Darkshore and Burning of Teldrassil happened likely amounted to a far larger proportion of kaldorei being away and therefore surviving than if the same thing had happened to Elwynn and Stormwind with their legions sent abroad, since Stormwind’s trained armies wouldn’t comprise nearly as large a percentage of their population as the Sentinel Army does to that of the night elves.

Which could also account for the night elves managing to stall and later oust the Horde’s collective forces without most of their allies. As kingdoms with comparatively “normal” foundations and interests the EK Alliance is oriented around the idea of a trained army existing to fight so the civilian majority doesn’t have to. As a nation that was outright founded and built in anticipation of facing another omnicidal demonic assault someday, the night elves seem more oriented around the idea of being able to mobilize most of the populace for war in the event of an invasion.

5 Likes

Wrong, reread again the two novels

1 Like

As fascinating as this back and forth has been… I couldn’t help but by surprised at this derail.

Now Iall have to say that on this is that it would be more helpful if you pointed out the chapter covering this, instead of just going “No, your wrong.” Plus hardback and paperback will have different page numbers, so the chapter number is the best way forward.

4 Likes

Sometimes when I read threads, I forget what their original purpose is.

Now that I’ve remembered this one, I can state that I’m expecting Exploring Kalimdor to be better than Exploring Eastern Kingdoms because Christie Golden isn’t writing it.

4 Likes

Interested to see the state of Tanaris with Gadgetzan and the farraki. Other than that I’d like to learn about the tauren lands.

11 Likes

You know, zerde know exactly the line of the two wot novels but he will even if i start to post the line against it because it don’t fit his headcanon, so why should i do it?

It was merely a suggestion, if you think it’s pointless then that fine.

The impression I got was that Zerde genuinely didn’t know what you were talking about it, and so I just thought someone owning the novel mentioning the exact chapter or even line, as you mentioned it, would help enlighten Zerde.

i understand you, yeah, i do and i wished the situation would be different…but we have to deal with the situation.

The whole argument started because I said that Blizzard made the Night Elves and Army of the Light too weak. I stand by that.

Dissapointment.

And we have see the common folk of Stormwind rise up constantly because their very army was no where in sight in Vanilla. We saw say Darkshire or Westfall, heck we even see Lakeshire learn to fight because their lands happen to in fairly bad shapes.(as a quick example we see Lakeshire trying to fight off the Scourge in Shadowlands, I am relatively certain they managed to beat them back)

You mean:

All who could walk were pressed into service. Even those generally regarded as civilians—tailors, food merchants, innkeepers—had learned over centuries how to fight well enough to defend themselves.

Compared to say:

Roused by the tales of the orcs’ atrocities during the Second War, the peasants have
learned to use both pick and axe to defend their communities if threatened.

Both community were threatened by external forces. Both civilians in said races have learned to actually fight to defend themselves but like we see they are not master warriors. At best defend themselves in the same way most militias are actually able to do , but not much more then that and certainly not stop an actual well trained army on their own.

I am not sure this is an honest interpretation. We know Tyrande made a profession army of Sentinels. We know not all of the night elves were druids or part of the Sentinel army. So I do think there was a “civilian” population even during the Long Vigil. On that note:

All who could walk were pressed into service. Even those generally regarded as civilians—tailors, food merchants, innkeepers—had learned over centuries how to fight well enough to defend themselves

It seems to me these tailors, food merchants, innkeepers etc have been doing their jobs long before Warcraft proper. That they did train to fight but never joined the night elf military proper.

Again, this rings false, the same boast is also present in Stormwind, that most men(and I assume now women) actually learn how to use a sword at a young age. Stormwind was probably the second most militant(apart from say Stromgarde) human nation due to the fact it was a relatively isolated kingdom with dangers all around it.

We literally see Goldshire, Lakeshire, Sentinel Hill and Darkshire try to deal with their problems on their own for most of Vanilla precisely because the Stormwind army was not around.

defend themselves against every threat…the main threat for the nightelves centuries ago were…demons, they were trained to hold their own against the only power the night elves really fear.

And later on, is even descripted how they hold their own without problems to inflict more damage toward the trained hordesoldiers as they even themselve suffered.

That is not even an accurate reading. “had learned over centuries how to fight well enough to defend themselves.” That does not tell you tell how good that training is and even if we were to assume it was to defend themselves again demons, well you do realize the entire world was attacked by demons and entire communities(like say the one in Sentinel Hill) managed to beat them back.

As we have neem told before, desperate people can be more dangerous. The same could be said of the humans. They were being attacked by the Dark Horde back in Vanilla and yet the civilians of say Lakeshire were able to do as much if not more damage to them thanks in part to adventurers like us.

I think we got a answer here. NE and MHP. The book isn’t even out and they are already took over the thread.

“The few who could not fight - mothers with small children, the wounded - had been sent through portals to Stormwind when the mages arrived.”

The only “Civilian” who were evacuated were the mother of small children, small childrenn and wounded people…and all civilian of the gilneer of course…all other stay to fight the threat of the horde.

And this army was powerfull enough to really beat the horde up…more hordesoldier died as night elves died in a direct battle.

1 Like