Exploring Kalimdor, any expectations?

True.

To be fair though, the author of the book could always surprise us with tales of a rebuilt, restored Night Elven society, the Draenei building massive cities of crystal and stone, both races reclaiming the glory at the height of their powers and surpassing it.

I mean, that’s how positive developments for the Alliance happen, after all. Off-screen, never reflected in-game.

3 Likes

We have a preview of a little of the Draenei/Kaldorei stuff.

They don’t enter Kaldorei lands at all from what we can tell, and the few entrees we have for them are Rexxar speaking about what they were like(In this case stuff inside Teldrassil), so I wouldn’t expect anything except maybe outside observation from the Barrens/Durotar.

We may get an update on the Isles though, since we see Velen approved their arrival.

2 Likes

i mean, tbf, its show clearly a kind of consequence for the horde, that they cannot enter the nightelf lands anymore without a serios violation of the treaty between horde & alliance.

1 Like
  1. Most people won’t read it.
  2. Someone will misquote or misinterpret something from it.
  3. People on the story forums will recite this misquote as established lore for years to come.
14 Likes

Need I remind you before Warcraft 3 the Alliance was the 7(6 after Alterac was destroyed) human kingdoms, Ironforge, Gnomeregan and Silvermoon and by the time of Warcraft 3-Vanilla WoW all but Stormwind and Ironforge was destroyed/left in the Alliance.

Warcraft has always been about empire/nations being destroyed, sometimes at the heights of their power, some get back up(like Stormwind or Dalaran or Gnomeregan or the Taurens) some don’t.

1 Like

and that should be a reason to let the nightelf stuck in such a situation? Your argument not really convince me.

1 Like

Yes. Because I actually do think Warcraft should not have any sacred cows. That in order to actually have stakes in the story, you are suppose to be able to lose. And that loses can later down the line actually lead to something much better.

As an example, for most of WoW life Stromgarde was once a half ruined capital infested by bandits ogres, trolls and the like and later on even totally taken over by the Forsaken. And now look at, rebuilt and just recently kicked out the Horde who has been their constant enemies since Vanilla.

3 Likes

YOUR argument is that you agree with me, nice :wink:

Because i litteraly said never anything against a loose, but a loose should not be lead into “stuck in this situation forever” …

And the night elves are ANYTHING but a sacred cow…the only sacred cow of the alliance and horde right now…is stormwind…and orgrimmar, two citys that were never destroyed, even if they are sieged or the war is in their citys…or the city burns because a trollprophet lay fires.

The nightelf sacred cow…its such a joke if you take a look into their story, no race on azeroth was more often threatened with complitly anniihilation.

4 Likes

The “yes” was in that should be a reason to lay the night elves in that situation.

Who says they are stuck their forever? We have spent two expansions with the night elves/forsaken homeless. Which in the grand scheme of things is infinitely shorter then the worgen situation. I expect either the expansion after shadowlands or the one after that will have them get new capitals(we always need new expansion hubs afterall, and Blizzard seem to switch between shared hubs like Oribos and faction exclusive one every expansion or two)

Really? The entire dreanei people were nearly wiped out in Legion. Or did you forget Velen’s son was about to nuke all of Exodar and we barely stopped him. Or that 90% of the High elves and 80-90% of the gnomes(number seem to vary) were killed off because of the Scourge/Radiation respectively.

A long time ago Ghostcrawler himself said Ogrimmar or any faction city(obviously this was a MoP post) would never ever be destroyed because it was either technologically infeasible/not something they ever wanted to do. Now obviously that stance has changed and this means any faction capital can be destroyed in the future if the story were ever to go in that direction

The nightelf face this entire situation…three times, from the same opponend, so yes, the draenei run away, the night elf face this threat and fought it down…thats a big difference(They fought it 4 times, 3/4 times they were almost wiped out in the process by fighting the legion). (+ now Horde burning)

You’ve had many opportunities now to destroy a city like Orgrimmar or Stormwind, it’s always remained untouched, so save your breath because it’s ridiculous.

1 Like

And that each time the night elves were slowly being weakened by these conflicts, to the point the reason the night elves no longer have many nature allies was because the Legion killed many of them and the reason the Alliance had a horrible time helping the night elves was because Garrosh destroyed Theramore(depriving them of one of their most powerful allies)

Not as much as the night elves/Forsaken. Hell, even back in Tides of War, this was always the plan, if the Night elves felt, it was the Undercity that would face the wrath of the Alliance. These two nations were literally the outliers for the Alliance/Horde respectively and any world war was always going to start at their borders.

Both Stormwind/Ogrimmar are in relatively remote areas of the world. And even then a portion of Stormwind was destroyed back in Cata. So no, Stormwind has not always remained “untouched”.

Do you really want to talk about how many times Stormwind was nearly destroyed? Whether it be the Botani trying to turn Stormwind into a jungle or Zaela trying to cause a super volcanic explosion or the time the Cathedral was nearly destroyed because of a twilight hammer plot to blow it up and covert its citizens into cultist?

1 Like

it was destroyed the one area what was the least of all human area in all of stormwind.

That was just the last event, I was talking about the WOTA, and the Sartyr war before that.

i agree with you in the case The third war, but all other times the night elves dont start running, but start to collect their soldiers and stand their ground to fight off the demons and their allis.

We have - at this point - 3 times sieged or fought at the gates of Orgrimmar, never was anything even seemingly destroyed.

we have a big fire in stormwind, without any damage and the Deathwings wrath destroyed a small part of stormwind (I mean, if you see the cinema, its inconsistent why his appearance not devastated all of stormwind)

Nearly destroyed and…destroyed is a big differences. Right now, stormwind and orgrimmar have a big plotarmor…and only if the citys will be reduced to dust like Theramore or burned down, we could start arguing that not such a plot armor exist.

1 Like

And so? It was still part of Stormwind city and clearly affected ALOT of humans as shown by what happened in Westfall.

As I recall WoTA they didnt “stand their ground” all the time and actually had to retreat several times while experiencing heavy losses.

We were told why he didnt destroy all of Stormwind, he was planning on converting its people into cultist and the destruction of the Cathedral should have been the coup de grace had it worked.

As for Ogrimmar, we have only sieged it twice. What is this third time your talking about? The one where half the Alliance fleet was destroyed because of Garrosh and forced to retreat.

The reason it was never damaged was also explained time and time again, it would be too expensive in terms of manpower(many power both sides didnt have) and probably cause more problems down the line.

Maybe they will in the future, maybe they wont. Who knows. What is fact is all of the faction cities had plot armor until BfA. Again by Ghostcrawler himself.

one battlefield decided not about the entire war, they fought…and don´t run away, thats the difference. Even if they have sometimes to retreat, in the end, they fought until the last man stand.

1 Like

And in BfA they were still fighting. However their civilians, like in WoTA were also evacuated/not everyone stayed and fought.

1 Like

most of the civilians fought…like in bfa aswell…because they MUST, otherwise they would have been killed.

Not everyone fought, and we have clear examples of that in the nightborne and the highborne:

Not all the Highborne lived in Zin-Azshari, despite their obsession with the Well of Eternity. For a variety of political or personal reasons, certain members of the nobility opted to live outside the capital city. Moreover, not all night elves (or other races of Kalimdor) joined the main force of night elf defenders. Such holdouts were not necessarily resistant to the idea of joining their compatriots. Indeed, it seems likelier that these small pockets of resistance had heard nothing of the primary defending force and were unaware of the demonic invasion’s massive scope.

From the looks of it many night elves were not warriors and didnt fight(the sick, elderly, young etc) and while i am sure a good chunk of civilian night elves joined the fight, many others did not. Same with what happened in Teldrassil where there is a sizable civilian/non-combatant population.

1 Like

We know for an fact…that the rebelion at the least involved all loyal night elves…they recruited everything that was ABLE to hold a weapon…sick and young ones dont count…but elderly? For a n immortal race exist not really “Elderly” people.

Because they have to, otherwise they would have died…the resistence of the night elfs were the lion part of the entire wota…without them…no one could have even HOPED to survive.

We know from bfa, all night elves learned to use weapons, are used to fight…and are able to hold their own against trained soldiers…like i said before…the night elfs arre a warrior race. They are hardened from the past and stand their ground against intruders.

4 Likes

You are very much wrong. This is the part where I tell you I still have a copy of WoTA(badly water damaged but still readable) and there is a clear civilian population described the book that did not fight. And what was worse was actually complicating things for the Ravencrest warriors.

Actually we know that is the opposite, hence why we actually had the civilian population of Darnassus evacuated!

1 Like

at the beginning, yes, just in Zin’Azshari, they are just slaughtered, also in other cities of the highborn, however the population around Zin’Azshari, also many highborn, followed the call of Ravencrown, he led the defense, even before Dath’remar joined the ressistance, there were highborn in it, we even had an idiot commander of them before Jarod.

towards the end, when everything became more and more hopeless and the last resistance in the fight for Zin’Azshari began…there were no real civilians left, most of them were dead, sacrificed or as we learned thanks to RETCON were shielded in a dome or were fighting…shandris was not the only childsoldier…we know for an fact that she started with 5 friends…she was the last surviver.

Reread again the two novels around the war of thorns, ALL night elf learned to fight…everyone of them…but kids need still their mother …not all night elf were called to fight, but still many stayed there and fought and denied the call to be evacuated. They were strong enough to hold the entire horde at bay until the horde attack them from behind.

2 Likes