Exploration Mode

It’s very infrequent that RPers get content designed for them, whereas PVEers and PVPers get content every expansion/patch.

The main content that RPers have gotten has been designed around customization of the character and their equipment. Transmog was added in Cata and has sense only been improved upon, and character customization is relatively minor.

I also do not count content given by proxy. Examples of this include new zones each new expansion/patch that includes them. The reason being that these new zones are specifically given for PVE and PVP players. Additionally, they’re not RP friendly due to the new zones being for high level content and in recent years are very cluttered with hostile enemies.

A singular feature that I propose to help revitalize RP within the game (and a useful tool for PVE and PVP players) is an Exploration Mode. This mode would be similar in function to PvP Mode but with added functionality.

Exploration Mode

When activated:

• All NPCs become tagged as Neutral. They will not attack you unless you attack them first. This includes NPCs that were previously friendly to you.
    – The purpose: There are many locations that are currently inaccessible to certain players. Horde cities inaccessible to Alliance players, and vice versa. High level zones inaccessible to new players/low level players. All these locations are prime RP locations that can’t be utilized due to enemy NPCs.
  • All instances become fully unlocked, without the need to slay the bosses. Added functionally within the instance menu to instantly clear it of NPCs for it to be empty as well. Additionally, all instances (Raid and Dungeon) have an increased player cap of 40 (includes Scenarios, Island Expeditions, Warfronts, Battlegrounds, and Arenas).
    – The purpose: Similar to zones, there are many Dungeon and Raid instances that can’t be utilized do to the amount of NPCs within it which thus take lots of time clearing out. In the case of higher level instances, those enemies simply can’t be cleared out if the RP group isn’t high enough level or large enough. Places like Island Expeditions can’t be used due to having a 3 player cap, and places like Battlegrounds can’t be entered at all for RP.
  • Disable all forms of progression while Exploration Mode is enabled. This includes things like exploration rewards, achievement unlocks, quest progression, etc.
    – The purpose: Disabling these ensures Exploration Mode can’t be abused. If other forms of abuse are possible, that isn’t an excuse to abandon the idea as solutions to combat the abuse can be implemented.

The addition of Exploration Mode would be similar to how PVE content, like new armor and weapons added each expansion/patch, trickles down to RP. By providing this content, targeted primarily at RPers, it would also benefit PvEers and PvPers. How you may ask? Imagine being a Dungeon or Raid team utilizing Exploration Mode to entered a safe version of the latest Dungeon/Raid and running around to formulate a route for the group. Or imagine being an RPG/Arena team using it to enter a Battleground or Arena to practice strategies. This feature would benefit everyone.

While it’s not the focus of my thread, I’d like to make another suggestion that may be suited for it’s own thread in the future. This would be providing players a version of the creative tools the developers use, in order to allow us to create our own zone. Minimalistic developer tools were provided to Overwatch players, and the Warcraft RTS games had a Map Editor. WoW should provide players with similar creative avenues of freedom.

54 Likes

TLDR:
Give a button to open up dungeons for exploration, RP, and other fun stuff without just making it an abusable button.

I wish I could Like this a thousand times.

22 Likes

Technically you could on alts if you wanted to, but thats frowned upon.

Tbh, that sounds boring as hell.

9 Likes

Honestly, you are trying to play the game in a way that’s not intended. It’s a computer game not a pen and paper fantasy rpg.

The rpg part of the game is the the leveling story as well as the story that unfolds via the raid.

Sounds like maybe you’d be happier just doing the pen and paper rpg stuff.

They didn’t add all the stuff you cited for the “rp community”. Broadly all types of players enjoy transmogs for example.

4 Likes

Yeah, it would be bad form to Panda Swarm the OP with my alt army. That does kind of ruin the whole statement, though, doesn’t it?

Broadly all types of players could utilize an exploration mode :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

All sounds fine, except for this. You want to be able to walk around in an opposing city?

4 Likes

If you’re an RPer, wouldn’t it break your immersion if the other faction’s NPC’s were neutral? Why would Void Elves be allowed in Silvermoon?

6 Likes

Historically speaking, that’s because RPers are responsible for creating their own content using what Blizzard provides.

4 Likes

There are certainly some scenarios that wouldn’t make sense, but that isn’t an excuse to forfeit the idea entirely. Currently there’s a Peace Treaty, which on its own is enough to open up faction specific territory. There are also plenty of situations where a member of one faction would want to be able to go to the opposite factions territory. For example: Horde Pandaren wanting to visit friends/family that chose Alliance, Humans wanting to visit their Undead friends/family, Horde mercenary being taken to Stormwind to be locked up for X crime. It wouldn’t be the first time the opposite faction has entered territory that doesn’t belong to them. During the Shadowlands Prepatch you had Death Knights of the opposite faction in opposite territory too.

3 Likes

What I’m getting from this thread, Lore, is that apparently certain people have a grudge against you for being a pro-High Elfer, and they think you just want to sneak Void Elves into Silvermoon.

i thought all the RPers would be in VRChat by now or something else.

wow is not the best tool for RP heh

People certainly do dislike me, but the singular Void Elf example that wasn’t even provide by me is but one of limitless possibilities. I don’t even play Void Elf, I play Pandaren. I for one have been personally wanting to player as a neutral Pandaren that isn’t aligned to either faction but can freely interact with both for the purposes of selling their craftsman products.

2 Likes

I am not against this idea, personally. You have won me over.

2 Likes

Honestly, WoW is labeled as a role-playing game, but lacks many common features. I feel this is a good start.

7 Likes

Just what the game needed. More sharding.

3 Likes

RPers create their own infinite content. Interacting with other players is the whole point.

3 Likes

ffxiv added a mode that lets you go into dungeons with no mobs, like no one uses it, but I don’t see the harm if it doesn’t take away from other features.

7 Likes

Actually. There is something you can do which kinda makes it fine. You can like a post on alts and then say publically that you did that. The main reason why it is seen as bad is since it can be deceptive. However by saying you are liking a post on alts you remove the deception and it just becomes more you are making emphasis.

I dislike your whole attitude and I don’t want to hear from you anymore.

5 Likes