Exploits or Clever Use

Bro, they did. The only reason the TBC patch notes exist is that procs off of /sit were unintentionally broken multiple times. From the 2.0.1 pre-patch:

Meaning that procs while sitting not working was a bug. Full stop.

2 Likes

So in TBC they introduced Spellsteal. Mages could spell steal bone armor in Naxx and solo a good chunk of it. Why would they give you a ability they don’t want you to use? Things don’t always work as intended even when it seems like its just a clever use.

Brokenly OP? Maybe. But is it a clever use of game mechanics or an exploit to use an ability they placed on a mobs cast bar while MC’d? Lol, no, no more so than a mage using blizzard to AOE/kite groups of mobs, or a warrior using Cleave to hit two mobs at once. It’s not clever to use something exactly as it was intended to be used.

Thats what the post is for, to see where they draw the line. I could list dozens of spells that didn’t work properly or that someone found a work around to make them ungodly but that would only answer the question on a case by case situation. Blizz has already said my MC example was intended use but I threw it in there to try and find examples that are in the same area as clever use.

Incorrect.

1 Like

The only thing incorrect here, is all of you paladins clinging to this private server dream. List factual evidence of your claim because everyone else has.

It’s because you don’t have any.

2 Likes

They better keep it. The jank of Vanilla was one of the reasons it was so fun.

I’ll give an example of how I tend to think them through, and what makes me decide exploits or just clever use of mechanics:

Exploit. Reason? It is not a natural action for a player to /sit during combat. Sitting to eat/drink, and being hit once doing that, normal enough. Sitting back down just to try to get a crit to proc something, and repeating that to stack something? Not normal behavior, a deliberate action to gain a specific advantage.

Clever use of mechanics. There’s no advantage gained out of it (killing low levels of your own faction is a pretty jerky thing to do, but doesn’t give your character anything). It does edge the line a little, because dropping a specific totem that is offensive magic just before logging out isn’t normal behavior, but someone with a totem macro who hits it wouldn’t look that unusual.

Clever use of mechanics. This one does confer an advantage to the player or group, but is pretty deliberate because that is the direct intent of mind-control - gaining control of the mob and casting their limited abilities. If a buff is there, it’s not a tricky thing Blizzard didn’t know would be possible. (In fact, Blizzard added spell steal to mages, which could be similarly used to pick up a buff - which tends to affirm it was a fun mechanic expected to be used.)

Clever use of mechanics, though I’d have been a little more iffy on this one. It definitely confers an advantage to a raid group. However, fun fact, BWL / Vael came out one patch before the adjustment of the debuff limit to 8. If the buff limit was the same, it would have been a lot easier to hit that by accident - no intention to exploit - just with the basics players cast on each other or obtained from flasks and items. It wouldn’t have taken unusual behaviors to achieve.

1 Like

Well the shaman one was considered an exploit. Source: I did it and was messaged and ask to stop, although the GM made me explain how I did it they said it was harassment to friendly players.

The MC one was deemed clever use.

As for the Vael one it was fixed in 1.8 it looks like after being deemed an exploit by Method. (I know we’re getting the 1.12 version but still, you deem it Clever use, Blizz said it was an exploit.)

Thanks for the feedback but two of your answers we’re treated differently by Blizzard.

1 Like

I love this:

Clever use of game ‘mechanics’ IMO.

Sit thing worked in vanilla but it shouldn’t of worked. It was only due to a ‘bug’ where you spam sit and stand up and the game would sometimes think you were standing when you got crit.

Honestly I think it’s cancer as hell and Pally are already obnoxious AF in duels but it was part of classic and I think it should be in the game.

1 Like

People really still think that /sit in a pserver bug?

Using /sit to be crit has been in the game since day one. It worked in Vanilla, TBC, Wrath, Cata, Mop, Wod, Legion and still works in BFA. It has always worked and still works as intended and will most likely work in Classic.

Did they actually call it an exploit? The harassment side fits into what I said about it being pretty jerky, and Blizzard has acted at times to address some egregious things like being able to set a warlock-controlled demon loose on low level players without it being labelled an actual exploit.

To be honest, I know next to nothing about raiding completions of that period. Now that I’ve looked, it appears no one killed Vael while the debuff/buff limit was 8. My iffy comment had to do with the period when it would have been 8 buffs, because that seems like something anyone would reach naturally.

Having now looked it up, this went beyond them just looking for natural buffs to fill out the 16. It apparently involved multiple priests casting Mind Vision, which falls pretty firmly into the side of unnatural actions during a raid fight.

It always crits but talents that proc from being crit aren’t supposed to work even tho they did.

1 Like

You say “aren’t supposed to work” but you don’t know that and neither do I. All I know is that it DID work and even after reck nerf in Vanilla it still worked to proc talents.

It’s safe to assume it will work as well in Classic although there is no way for anyone to know until there is a beta.

Oh BUT IT WAS and in a really big way :

Remember paladin oneshotting Kazak ? Well, it was donne without macro, but same concept.

2 Likes

Not only to one shot Kazak. Even after they nerfed it to 5 stacks there was still paladins using it in pvp videos when dueling rogues or druids. It’s safe to assume it will work in Classic.

That was me ;p

Did Blizzard treat the Disgusting Oozeling like an exploit? Don’t think so, although it clearly was an exploit of sorts, or at the very least, an unintented effect. Don’t think people got punished for it, afaik.

Can I sit down to force a crit and gain a charge?
Charges generated by the forced crit when you sit do not activate reckoning.

https://web.archive.org/web/20060328090738/http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-paladin&t=446313&p=1

Dated: 3/28/2006

We do know though. The reason you could trick the server back in 2006 was because of how the servers worked in conjuction with an individuals connection. With a modern client and modern connections there is no possibility of tricking it.

This pipe dream needs to end.

1 Like