Exploit banhammer has begun

Classic WoW very quickly became cheat to win.

So much for the community wanting an authentic classic experience.

2 Likes

That was the one shown on reddit yesterday. Sort of odd there has been only one.

6,143 votes and 1,939 comments so far on Reddit

Got a link? ;o

Y’all need to relax.

I want layering gone. Period. It never should have been in Classic to begin with.

Ony head goes up in SW. Wrong layer? No buff.

DC, come back on a different layer and get swamped by mobs you just cleared.

Get a loading screen while landing in Azshara.

World Defense not working.

These are just a few things besides the economy that have affected me personally. I’m not playing the game in the future I’m playing it NOW and I don’t gaf how things are going to be just great two months from now.

Anything CRZ, sharding, layering is trash. And it doesn’t belong here. The End.

4 Likes

and where is this video?
one that doesn’t have asmongold’s face in it

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I figured. And I’m sure now that this has happened, all the people losing their minds over layering are going to calm down, right?

LOL … just me refill ye olde popcorn bucket. :joy:

30 days lol. Thats all they are getting what a joke.

Gold farmers in vanilla literally farm the gold by grinding.

That’s exactly what I intended when I wrote the comment you were responding to.

Grinding gold into the economy doesn’t bring unanticipated gold into the system. Gold/item farmers are still bound by the same rules of chance as every other player grinding–they just do it more frequently. Farming 100g on one toon is the same as 1g across 100 toons. When wealth becomes concentrated like that it can create pricing issues on the server, but that doesn’t break the rules of the system itself. Eventually that wealth will recirculate (or sit harmlessly in someone’s bank) while gold sinks siphon the anticipate gold out of the economy.

Gold farmers did break the system, but not from farming gold. They did it by selling gold for real money outside the game and by running bots to farm the gold for them. Those aren’t problems with gold farming, though, that’s an issue with gold farmers, as players, breaking the rules of the game and that’s what people seem to be misremembering as gold farming is bad in general. As long as the gold/items come from inside the game, they won’t cause a problem to the game itself.

Layering, however, fundamentally breaks the rules of the system by bringing gold/items into the system in a way the system wasn’t intended to accommodate. Exploiting layers brings things from entirely different economies. Layers are dupes of the entire world and their objects are intended to remain in their respective economies; exploiting layering allows someone to effectively dupe items. The layer itself is a Blizzard sanctioned dupe so that’s not the problem, but players abusing game mechanics to bring items over from one layer into another is effectively unsanctioned duping. In this scenario, wealth doesn’t accumulate and drive the prices up but rather too much gold and items are injected into the system resulting in a market crash, which is what we’re seeing.

On that sidenote, it seems obvious to me that this problem of layer exploitation is exacerbated by the rampant botting in wow. It’s difficult to explain how the prices of AH items have bottomed out so hard some people are making money buying items from the AH and vendoring them. It costs money to list items, the items are priced below the vendor, and as if that wasn’t enough reason vendors are all over the place but you’d have to go out of your way to take your items to an AH and sell them at a loss. That’s irratoinal and it seems like a huge red flag that people are exploiting layered farming and using bots to generate tons of items/gold similar to the bots that run rampant throughout Diablo3 because Blizzard does not appear to do anything to stop them.

1 Like

Layers scale with the number of players so no it doesn’t add money into the system in a way that’s unanticipated. More players means more gold but also more repair/flight path/mount/profession vendor reagent cost.

Gold farmers grinding gold floods the system with gold causing inflation. Gold sinks were designed to soak a certain amount of gold. Gold farmers break this system by introducing more gold into the system than expected. End result is the only way to afford anything is to buy gold from them.

Things are at rock bottom prices now because everyone is leveling and mount cost are acting as a super gold sink - no one is spending because everyone is saving for mounts.

Brewbeard gets it!
I wholeheartedly agree good sir.

I have over 700g at the moment. Closing in on my epic mount and for an item like freezing band a lot of people from guilds will get together and loan a person gold for something like that due to it being pre raid BiS until you get two rings of spellpower from MC which may take a very long time.

People cheated back in vanilla lol, not sure if anyone here remembers the duplicate item exploit lol.

So far the “ban hammer” is one imgur photo from reddit right?

Still waiting for real action on whole guilds on my server (Skeram) who exploited layering in instances from day one to be dealt with.

I don’t even care if they are banned, just remove all the BiS they farmed by layer swapping mid-instance. If not, let everyone finish their gearing in such a way.

Sidenote: correct me if I’m wrong but blizzard’s stance is that, “Layer hopping open world is just fine and a new feature in classic but layer hoping inside instances was exploiting”?

Calling it classic wow but uses layering/sharding/mirrors or whatever word you want to call the idea is complete bs.

7 Likes

A player can’t introduce more gold into the system purely by grinding no matter how frequently that player farms something because drop are controlled by RNG. Players can only introduce extra gold or items into the system by circumventing that RNG, which is what layer exploitation does.

I’ve explained the process at length now multiple times so if you’re still not understanding the difference between farming something inside the game vs. farming something outside the game (layers are entire game instances–they are separate “servers” for all intents and purposes) and bringing it into the world then I can’t clarify it any more for you.

1 Like

If you were on my server and faction I would shower you in riches because what you just wrote is beautiful and poignant.

1 Like

You do know that Blizzard doesn’t cap the amount of gold earn-able by the player right?

If you on average get 5s for every mob you kill and you kill 100 mobs, you will have 5g.**

The more you grind, the more gold you will have.

Your concepts of “inside the game” and “outside the game” is nonsensical. All gold generated is in-game - via direct drops and indirectly via vendoring of trash. The server, with all its layers, is one big economy - the AH is shared between layers. It’s no different from Blizzard making the game’s landmass several times larger to accommodate more players.

** If mobs drop 10s 50% of the time. The expected value of a mob kill is 5s. Do it 100 times and you get 5g.

I see the same exploiters on their epic mounts and full BiS gear still around, so nobody got banned for this.

Has there been any evidence presented, other than that one picture we have all seen, that anybody was banned for these exploits?

I’m starting to think the bans will be extremely, extremely limited in scope, and the impact on the economy will continue to reverberate.

This is extremely disheartening.