Explain to me the fool of a Twink. purpose?

There is a lot of people saying this in a much nicer way.

Twinks are for people who prefer to play against lesser geared and lower level people then them. In retail the Twink community had an aneurism when blizz made them face eachother.

1 Like

Twinking = getting a low level geared/enchanted up with BiS everything and wreck people.

Yessssss this is the salty QQ I am ready for. The forums are going be rampant with these threads in the next few days and it’s going to be glorious. I’m just bummed I didn’t get my priest to 29 yet.

Yeah, Im not looking forward to it either :confused:
Be careful what you wish for though, If levelers don’t queue you’re the ones that will be miserable.
Maybe this time be more constructive with your feedback? idk.

So pretty much the original idea of twinking started in vanilla because max level PvP was a joke and you had to grind and not have a job all day just to get raid equivelant gear from the vendors. So people prefered having an easier time getting best in slot gear while still maintaining a PvP playstyle, and thus lower level twinking was born. People who complain are the same ones rolling wariors and frost mages at 60 1v3’ing people.

PvP didn’t become as rewarding, and balanced until TBC and wraith, when actual PvP vendors were added and you could buy said gear with honor, not needing no life ranks. One could argue that blizz still kept the rank system mentality slightly, with arena tiers of gear, but tbh the gap wasn’t so big and one could still do well with normal honor set gear at max level.

For people like myself, twinking stayed fun over the years because of the shear amount of theorycrafting you could do. You could try meme specs and prioritize certain stats like dodge or haste and come up with strange builds that worked. This hasn’t ever really been the case at max level.

1 Like

It can be a fun mini-game and a good distraction. It can also be a huge gold sink, depending on how far you take it. Sometimes it’s fun to be a little evil.

Just don’t start buying your own hype. You’re mowing people down because your stats are higher, that’s all.

2 Likes

Twinking is NOT just “gearing as best as possible for your level”. It’s about obtaining advantages not reasonably available to someone leveling normally (enchants and arcanums, best possible BOEs, rare items, etc).

Or how about this: “In role-playing video games, particularly MMORPGs, twinking refers to outfitting a new or low-level character or player with items or other resources that are not normally available to new or low-level characters.”

2 Likes

Natural progression is not twinking.

15 year old joke on a forum filled with people who heard it before.

In a nutshell, it is gearing as well as possible and staying at the highest level of a bracket in order to get the rush out of defeating players who are simply leveling through the game and who can be defeated with ease and little to no risk.

1 Like

Twinking is basically like if you wanted to get in fist fights all the time but will only do it if you only have to fight toddlers. They have to go in with an overwhelming advantage.

4 Likes

A stealthed player 1) has no reason to AFK out, as there are always tons of stragglers and 2) has way too much fun with his character to be bothered with trivial concerns such as “hopelessness.” Find a clothie and tunnel that person until they quit, at the bare minimum.

Ambush + cripple + subtlety mastery + blind assure that any 1-on-1 fight is pretty much over before it begins.

I don’t know anything about druids in those brackets, but I assume they have an equal amount of fun as flag carriers in WSG.

The biggest problem that I see is that people seem to want to win battlegrounds, but have no concept on how such a thing happens. Don’t fight in stupid places. Don’t show up in gray gear. Mind the objectives. Win! – if you don’t adhere to this, you’ll definitely lose, but the rogues are still going to have fun.

I’ve also been curious about this for 15+ years. This has been the terminology since the beginning, but where did this usage come from?

Going to quote Tulia :wink:

I first heard it playing EverQuest. Back before items were “souldbound” or “no drop,” higher level characters would outfit their much lower level alts with gear that would normally be obtained only during the end game. Then those “twink” alts would steam roll through a lot of content wearing some of the best gear in the game.

Maybe the low level gear made you look less clothed? I still don’t see why this word would be chosen. Or maybe that being low level was implying that they were “young”.

I know it’s hard to believe for some of you born in the 2000’s, but some words change over time. There was a time when the word twink was slang for messing around with something, and a certain 3 letter word was used to descibe a ciggerette.

1 Like

sick meant you didn’t feel well, dank was something gross. There is a list of words my teenages uses all day long that they changed. The latest one i heard that made me laugh was “thats fire” meaning its really nice or something like that lol

That’s kind of missing the point as words have origins and reasons they evolve the way they do. Also I am 30.

There is a reason that three letter word used to refer to a cigarette. A terrible terrible reason, but a reason.

Right!? People think I’m joking but I am not… just… wth!?