Exorcism, why was it removed?

This has been a staple paladin ability since the beginning, yet it was pruned away, this needs to come back, it would be more useful then ever with us going into the land of the dead.

26 Likes

Exorcism was actually a satisfying ability.

It hit hard. I guess it got replaced with hammer of wrath… tbh I think they should push away from all these hammers…I mean the most iconic Paladin weapon is a sword.

6 Likes

It hasn’t been a staple since the beginning at all. It was a very niche ability that only effected undead and demons. It wasn’t until late WotLK that it was changed. Even then it flip flopped back an forth on being useable on players. Then it was given a cast time and the Passive Art of War was created.

No it got replaced by Blade of Justice(an ability I personally like both visually and functionally), Hammer of Wrath has been in the paladin toolkit since near the beginning. And Hammers have been a Warcraft paladins Iconic weapon, with Uther and Arthas being some examples of paladins wielding Hammers. Yes Swords have been too with example such as Alexander Mograine, Bolvar Fordragon, Tyrion Fordring. But they aren’t exclusively.

6 Likes

Yeah I understand that but also of all the Paladins… only humans and dwarves call themselves Paladins so the obsession with hammers I think would be better replaced with a raw holy magic

1 Like

the main reason why it was removed is because they said ret had moved too far into being a ranged melee spec and wanted it to go back to the melee focus.

Which was obviously the worst decision they’ve ever taken.

27 Likes

I can understand warrior, monk and DH being tied to hard melee but death knight and survival are literally semi range… don’t see why Ret can’t be the same

8 Likes

Thats a question we need blizz to answer.

None of us understand the logic in their decisions.

7 Likes

Actually Hammer of Wrath was with paladins since vanilla. Only in wod or legion was it removed and now returned as a talent

1 Like

I will say I do like the Spear Paladin. Especially the Blood-Tempered Ranseur. It fits so well with the judgement set or the modified judgement that i have transmoged.

Well look at Enhancement Shaman. In wod they said that enhancement shamans were in a wierd place as they tried to be melee and casters. So they were going to make them more melee centric.

Well that has backfired Enhancement shamans are a mess at the moment. But they have made some good changes as far as what is happening in shadow lands for enhancement shamans. Gone is the builder spender junk.

4 Likes

This doesn’t mean it wasn’t removed for another ability.

Shred is a combination of two separate feral abilities, both of those abilities were there since vanilla

Shred and ravage were combined after wrath, as well as rake and pounce because literally anyone max level just macroed them together(was before cat form had a stealth action bar). Completely different reason than them not knowing what they want from a class/spec

Shred was sinister strike were ravage was ambush…? Why would you macro them together when you get only one stealth opener ability

Because cat form didn’t have a stealth action bar until like wod I believe, Unlike rogue who has a stealth bar, and has had.
So you just ran a macro like
#showtooltip
/cast [nostealth] Shred; [stealth] Ravage

and no back then shred was to backstab as mangle was to sinister strike(or closer to hemorrhage ability to ability)

2 Likes

Because Blizz doesn’t know our class fantasy.

13 Likes

Haha. It never hit hard. You only hit it because Art of War procced and it was instant. It was the last ability you slapped on the priority list which meant if you had no other buttons to hit, had Art of War procced, you hit exorcism.

1 Like

Because it’s a yellow Death Coil. And Death Coil belongs in a class that is actually cool.

I did not say or hint that it was not removed for another ability, i said that hammer of wrath was with paladins from vanilla so it wasn’t removed for that.

100% this.

:frowning:

3 Likes

I think it was changed earlier than that to make up for the move from Naxx to Ulduar. But I think you are right about AoW, it was changed during ToC iirc.

Also it may not have been a “staple” in the arsenal until Wrath but it definitely has history with the class, being an ability that’s existed since release, and for Ret it did become a staple for a really longtime, three and a half expansions before being removed. It also has deep roots in the franchise coming all the way from WC2.

Exorcism should never have been removed. And BoJ should be a glyph to change Exo’s appearance if people insist on keeping that runeblade attack.

9 Likes