***EVERYTHING We Definitively Know about Classic***

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m quite positive Ion said their goal with addons is to do away with addons that automate gameplay, but also any that introduce modern features into the game. Another thing that was touched on was making limits to the macros so you can’t have a 1 key rotation.

Yeaaa not quite on this one either on this one. They never said they wouldn’t have the option for modern graphics, but all the “classic” button within the graphic settings does is lower the graphic level to 5 (that’s of 10 levels in total).

you forgot to bold the question part

May not be fully accurate. No mention if they only mean CRZ, but will include cross realm BG’s which would actually go against “no changes” to not include them since they were introduced in 1.12. Not having them causes other issues, but that’s for a debate elsewhere.

1 Like

None of what you said invalidates what I’ve posted?

1 Like

CRZ and CRBGs are not the same thing and people need to stop equating them.

CRBGs were part of the end of Vanilla.

We know CRZ will not be in Classic. We have no word on CRBGs. Though the likely assumption is that they will be included.

2 Likes

Cross BGs I do seem to remember being there at the end and 1.12 is pretty much the end. So I suspect you are right about they were in meaning unless they change it they should be in again.

Actually, the worst thing that can happen is using a mega server which utilizes phasing tech (especially sharding) - Blizzard’s implementation, of which, has ruined the social community in the modern version of WoW. Today you don’t need to talk to a soul to play what’s supposed to be a “Massively Multiplayer” game.

Phasing technology (i.e., Quest phasing, Cross-Realm Zones and sharding) solved a technical problem at a huge social cost. It destroyed individual community, which still existed even on low pop realms because each individual realm is like a home town community.

In Classic, saying I’m from Eonar was like saying, “Hey, I’m from Bozeman, Montana!” Today, saying I’m from Eonar is almost pointless - it’s like saying “I’m from North America.” Who cares about that? I don’t and no one cares about me since I’m essentially part of a giant North America mega server now.

In Classic, if people didn’t like low pop realms, they could transfer to other more populated realms. And, moreover, people in high pop realms could take a free transfer to a lower pop realm - that was the Vanilla solution and should therefore be the default solution.

The reason for this project is to restore the experience of authentic Vanilla WoW - primarily for the community it once had on individual realms.

Sharding specifically, since it is the only phasing tech that could be used, is an existential threat to the community spirit of Classic WoW. If sharding is used, no one will care about me and I won’t care about you - just like Live current WoW (BFA) today.

Mark Kern, the former Team Lead on Vanilla World of Warcraft, said individual realms are very important to fostering community and were a key design decision by Allen Adham, the original Founder of Blizzard and Lead Designer of Vanilla World of Warcraft:

Allen Adham wanted communities. “Everybody knows your name” like Cheers.

– Source: ClassiCast#13 Interview with Mark Kern on YouTube (41:20) youtube dot com/watch?v=izCBaGfGJCg

Patrick Magruder, Lead Gameplay Engineer on Vanilla World of Warcraft, stated how significant realms were when he said:
“When WoW first came out, it was 100% ‘What server were you on?’ was everything.”

— Source: Blizzard Explains the Entire History of World if Warcraft - WIRED YouTube Channel (min. 5:25) youtube dot com/watch?v=vvrzZgZ2ZDw

J. Allen Brack, now Blizzard CEO, said he understands how important the authentic Vanilla experience is for this community and phasing is not something we want want.

CRBGs aside - which were part of Vanilla - player phasing technology kills the authentic gameplay I’m looking for from Vanilla World of Warcraft.

Brack is clear that using modern server architecture doesn’t mean that these Classic servers will have the same features that current World of Warcraft does. There won’t be cross-realm servers or Looking For Raid and Dungeon Finder automatic party matchmaking. There’s still a lot of questions about how the team will tackle it, but Brack says they’re committed to recreating an authentic Vanilla World of Warcraft experience. “One of the tenets of Classic WoW is none of the cross-server realms and different [server] sharding options that we have available to us today. There’s a lot of desire on part of the community that this is something that they don’t want.”

– Source PC Gamer: pcgamer dot com/this-is-how-blizzard-plans-to-finally-bring-back-vanilla-wow-servers/

1 Like

Can you change “phasing” to ‘sharding’?

They’re different terms and you’re describing sharding, not phasing.

4 Likes

Care to elaborate please?

Whats the point of this thread if OP doesn’t even bother to edit these when you prove something they said. He has tons of things up here that are based off pure speculation but you give him something they actually said and he wont edit it.

Remove this sticky.

I’ve updated plenty based off people commenting, anything that I think is relevant will go - if you’d like to do better go for it.

If there’s something you think should be added I’ve overlooked, just try suggesting it instead of being a snarky whiner.

4 Likes

I have multiple times.

They also have said that they are not adding in transmog and achievements

“features like Transmog and Achievements would effectively not exist“

Dev Watercooler: World of Warcraft Classic - WoW

And a lot of stuff you added is also speculation so why would I take this seriously?

1 Like

It doesn’t look like they were replies to me, so it’s possible they get overlooked. It’s been a bit of a busy week.

To begin with at the bottom of your post, you requested that people correct you, even went as far as to add your battletag, yet here I am trying to be helpful and give a fuller explanation to your half baked answers and you have a pissy response to it. Yes, many would consider that a false answer, especially in academic circles of which I hope you don’t have plans for college.

Proof of the first quote for anyone who wants to hear it from Ion himself instead of getting a simplified half true answer to your question; watch?v=hhKkP8LryYM&t=2495s

Second quote, if we have leaked screenshots showing what it does we obviously know what it does, you not being able to find it yourself in the demo doesn’t mean its function is unknown it means you’re bad at looking for things.
What the classic button does: watch?v=hhKkP8LryYM&t=2495s
Proof of it being in the demo: QTTlA_Y8LYM?t=3516 (keep watching he uses the slider first then hits the classic button shortly after)

Third quote, you forgot to bold the question.

Forth quote, “things we KNOW will NOT be in the game”, “Cross Realms” was listed in this, cross realm ZONES they have stated they want to avoid doing, there however has been no word on if no cross realm zones would also include cross realm BG’s because they were in patch 1.12.0 which if Blizzard were to accurately recreate Classic leading up to patch 1.12.0 CRBG’s would be required.

And also misleading, have a nice day.

Explains the attitude.

Im well aware of the clip, but they don’t specify WHAT those “modern features” will be, aside form alluding to maybe group finder types. Since he SPECIFICALLY MENTIONED adding that “automate gameplay” and choose your healing/deranking etc I chose that specific example.

Got a time stamp? I’m not watching 4+ hours for a “maybe” I asked for proof in a screenshot etc and I’m happy to revise the answer, but I’m not infallible and need some pointing.

You cherry pick pieces to respond with out of context, I said cross realms weren’t in - I didn’t say anything about cross realm Bfs because there no info on it yet.

Your “fuller explanations” are opinion and your own interpretation of the information available - I disagree with your assessments, and as such haven’t included them.

Lastly: You can throw all the snark about me “being bad at finding” things etc you’d like, I left the door open to not only needing help on topics, but being incorrect on them as well, just need help fixing them. I’m 34, I have 2 kids with another on the way, I work my butt off to provide my family an amazing life and have been devoting the little time I have free to this board - what have YOU done to improve this community besides whine about your interpretation of information not be included in a sticky thread?

3 Likes

Yeah, fine. I’ll do it. You are WRONG! You have a really bad attitude. Banjaa is doing a great job, and I agree 100 percent with what he has posted. If you don’t like it then do like he says and show some proof, not just what your opinion is.

Calling people Pissy, and then trying to make the argument that he shouldn’t go to college is just beyond rude. No one in this forum is going to take you for anything but a troll going forward. Congrats, 30 posts in and you made it easy for the community : )

7 Likes

Lol, get a load of this guy.

Nice work though, Banjaa. You’ve updated the OP numerous times according to solid feedback, and overall done a great job with this thread. Some people just can’t help themselves.

8 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

Y’all need to stop attacking OP. If you have something to add or see an error where you can provide context or a citation then speak up.

1 Like

Mhm. There’s always people mad at the Little Red Hen.

On the topic of cross-realm battlegrounds. Cross-realm BGs existed, but not in the way they exist today. There were Battlegroups, into which servers were put together, and they stayed that way. The servers were constant; you had a character on one particular server and they were in Battlegroup Bananapants, your characters on another server might be in Battlegroup Starmonkey. The only way to get from one Battlegroup to another was transfer or reroll on a server in that particular Battlegroup. You could and did see the same players/ guilds game after game. Of course, it’s not the same as seeing the same players from your server, but it wasn’t nearly as anonymous as cross-realm BGs are now.

6 Likes

One thing I fondly remember about Classic, was how the mods actually came into the game at times to help various situations. They even intervened during raids and fixed drops etc. i hope the Classic WOW remembers that.

I hope everything is stricly Classic.

I am worried new WOW players will be surrounded by bored, ol’ time players, so unless there were special New Players only servers and some way to police this there will never be the same experience of WOW as a new experience for new people.

Classic will never be what is was. It will be all new experiences in the old world that we love and I for one can’t wait to get to know all of you again. :slight_smile:

5 Likes