Everything reset on this character (forums)

This is my main character in WoW and the main character I post with on the forums but yesterday I came to the forums and I noticed I was logged out which seemed odd. Upon logging back in it was like this character never posted before.

All my topics I made, notifications, likes, replies, etc… All of it gone. I was like what is going on, and even went back to a recent topic I was posting on the other day right here. Release Wrath of the Lich King Now and WOW is Saved - #93 by Raremob-earthfury

On that topic you can still see “Raremob” who has 210 posts. Almost like it’s a different character on the forums.

The only thing I can think of that happened was recently my guild and I transferred from Earthfury to Benediction. And like the forum avatars which sometimes take a bit to catch up to the ingame appearance. The same thing happened with this character. I am now posting on Raremob (Benediction) instead of Raremob (Earthfury). But what this caused was my character status and my entire forum posting history to vanish.

Kinda sucks but just let you guys know. I’m not sure if this is a bug or how it just is. Thanks.

This is the root cause of what you see.

The forum software is a third-party product and doesn’t have a good understanding of a WoW character like the core systems do. To the game, your character is your character whether you transfer realm, race change, or change its name.

The forums don’t. Your character on the forums is literally just your character name and your realm, and if you change either in the main systems your character becomes a brand new visitor to the forum. It’s literally never seen you before, because it doesn’t understand that you’re the same character. It’s a different name and realm, so it’s not the old character.

Your forum history is still present in the forum databases under your original name and realm. The only way to reclaim that is to roll a new character with the correct name on the original realm and level it up to level 10. At that point, you can log into the forums using that character and you’ll reestablish your original forum identity.

1 Like