Eternal Palace-first women dominated raid

Alright, so I guess it’s been a slight thing in WoW. Never really as big a deal as you’re making it out to be, nor that line in BTS. And even if it was, I sincerely doubt turning a bunch of women into loot piñatas for what very well might possibly be a male dominated raid does anything for… I dunno, equality? Inequality? Male or female de-empowerment? Not really sure what the agenda here is. I think it’s silly to even look to WoW for any kind of gender validation honestly.

Furthermore, the majority of the raid is really more comprised of your vaguely gendered Lovecraftian horrors. I don’t really think of Eternal Palace as a “women dominated raid” when most of the bosses are just masses of flesh and tendrils.

2 Likes

Here is how I see, if we want equality, then I want it all aspect, including being villains/being a target for destruction etc. Speaking of:

Blizzard also massacred ogres, gronns, orcs and generally speaking destroyed many human kingdoms who were patriarchal. As I mentioned woman/in this case a matriarchal society, should not be exempt from being destroyed. Not to mention the elves are NOT the only matriarchal society in WoW, the red and green dragons are as well and before you say anything, all the flight suffered regardless of who was leading them.

entire bfa is women dominated. Every important character in questlines. Especially on alliance side

Brother Pike is a female? O.o

2 Likes

wow, entire one character. Two with greymane. Drustvar captain had to die to replace him with women

1 Like

You said every important character in questlines are female for BFA

Key word is every (every is a for all statement btw)

I disprove your statement with just one counter example.

I’m sorry, but what is the lore significance of this? Isn’t this a post more fitting for the General Discussion forum? Personally I find the gender of raid bosses insignificant, even more so in their bearing on the lore.

My only comment on the raid itself is that I’m disappointed in their usage of Lady Ashvane. She was a well-developed Kul Tiran villain and they had her backstab the Alliance, then the Horde, then turned her into a sea monster.

If nothing else the slow, but possibly certain, changes of WoW becoming more diverse in terms of villains set. To at least the point where female bosses are not the except but possibly the rule.

I mean Warcraft as a story use to have female characters as an exception(see the unit composition of the RTS). Blizzcon even had a panel just to showcase all their female voice actors.

Not bothering with this thread. Not everyone has the luxury of worrying about whether it’s a digital boob or a digital Richard that a bunch of pixels are forming.

My gawd, what a very very poncy 1st world problem.

2 Likes

In WoD we fought a raid boss that was a train conductor.

No on is really saying they can’t. What people are saying (or at least I am), is that the gender of a boss is largely irrelevant. A raid boss can literally be anything.

2 Likes

This is the story forum. People her worry about lesser things and I don’t see you calling them out. First world problems.

If your talking about Skylord Tovra(end boss of grim rail) she was not the train conductor of said train. If we are talking about Thogar, he was not the end boss of said raid. And even if he was he was considered “cruelty and cleverness”.

While this is largely true, the fact is many of these said raid bosses happen to end up being male. Personally I would like to see more end raid bosses be female/actually have more female raid bosses. When you see a female raid bosses they usually are the exception.

I mean, it’s an accurate observation.

No, I’m talking about the boss from Blackrock Foundry (who was an operator, not a train conductor apparently).

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Operator_Thogar

I think you are reading too far into this, more than Blizzard ever did. I doubt there was ever a meeting at Blizzard HQ where the powers that be demanded all bosses have male genitalia.

Okay…? I’m not sure what having more female raid bosses is suppose to accomplish other than showing that they exist.

That is kinda the point, that women can be as evil, as strong, as cunning etc as any guy.

Oh, I doubt it was ever something consciously done/forced to be done. But at the same time as Blizzard games demographic expanded, I think Blizzard wanted also expanded their character roster to be more inclusive. To the point the old rules about NE priest/druid being gender restrict was removed.

As for the bosses themselves, it is clear BfA have had its story be dominated by women. So, why no have an increase number of female bosses as well. Heck, they even added a matriarchal troll society for us to fight.

You don’t need to turn female characters into loot pinatas to prove that point. In fact, I don’t really recall they’re ever being a sexist attitude towards woman at any point during WoW, in-character or not. Men and women have largely been treated like equals in WoW.

This has more to do with gameplay mechanics than lore. Blizzard didn’t want genders to dictate what classes are available to them, and thus make players feel excluded for choosing the “wrong” gender. Remember, WoW is more of an MMO than an RPG, so Blizzard is almost always going to try to accommodate as many people as possible, unless it goes against the aesthetic they’re going for (see Demon Hunters).

It’s a similar reason why so many races can play as Death Knights. Again, Blizzard likely didn’t want anyone to feel excluded if they couldn’t play the very first hero class as their favorite race.

I have already given the orcs guards and Moira as examples of people in lore treating women unfairly. Add to that we have Agwynn who was also discriminated on because she was a woman. Hell, according to Jaina it was her who paved the way for female mages to be a thing. Before her, female mages were a rarity.

As for not turning women into loot pinata, that is thing, if you want equality then I believe it should be in all things. That includes making it so women are just as potentially capable of being evil and with the same frequency as men.

You just made my point for me. Equality in all things, that our genders should define who/what we can be. Either positively or negatively.

So Anduin Wrynn, Genn Greymane, Malfurion Stormrage, Cyrus Crestfall, Flynn Fairwind, Brother Pike, Halford Wyrmbane, Magister Umbric, Falstad Wildhammer, John J. Keeshan, Mathias Shaw, High Tinker Mekkatorque, Grong, Tinkmaster Overspark, and many MANY more male characters just don’t exist then?

Seriously, if you’re gonna say dumb crap, say something resembling being correct.

4 Likes

I’ll give you the orcs but Moira’s refusal to return to Ironforge could be interpreted as her abdicating the throne of Ironforge and than subsequently trying to forcefully take the throne only after Magni became incapacitated just seems like a mad power grab.

When was this added? Because I was under the impression that the council disapproved of Aegwynn because she was arrogant and believed that only her own kin was capable of being a Guardian.

But if you really wanted equality then why is it you seem more interested in praising female characters over male ones for fulfilling the same role.

The gender doesn’t define the player, the class does. The gender we choose is just a checkbox, if anything.

I mean the point was she would never have left Ironforge at all if Magni had treated her differently.

Cycle of Hatred. It wasn’t so much the council that discriminated on her on that, but it was the general mage population discriminating on women for trying to be mages. But Aegwynn did experience direct discrimination from her fellow mages who wanted to be a guardian.

I literally just said be “as capable” as men. If male character dont get that same level of praise it just happens to be bacause it is the default thing that happens.

The genders we pick defines how we look and even how we joke/talk in WoW. It may not define who we are it but it is always part of it.

h ttps://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LadyLooksLikeADude

1 Like