ERROR #138 (0x8510008a) Fatal exception!

Hi,

My game has been crashing every 2-3 minutes after launching due to an Error 138 Access Violation. This even happens when I am just sitting at the character selection screen. Everything was running fine prior to pre-prepatch.

Error log: https://pastebin.com/sFvk0gcQ

I have done the following to try and resolve the issue but have found no luck:

• Removed all addons
  • Deleted cache and WTF
  • Updated to latest NVidia drivers
  • Set Bnet Lunacher and Wow.exe to run as admin
  • Disabled any excessive programs on start-up
  • Ran a scan and repair
  • Made sure no overlays are active

Please help!

1 Like

Hi Lannosaurus

These 138 Errors are tricky to troubleshoot. The error report isnā€™t giving me much in the way of clues. What I do see is Apple Bonjour on top of the loaded modules when the crash occurs. Letā€™s try uninstalling that from the Control Panel - Program and Features. Test afterwards.

If you crash again paste the new error.

Check out memtest86 by doing a quick Google for it, itā€™ll run a diagnostic of your systemā€™s RAM, pick up any errors?

Iā€™m also experiencing the same problem since the Shadowlands pre-patch. From the moment I can see my character selection screen the game crashes within a minute (regardless of whether or not I hang out here or enter a realm with a character).

Like @Lannosaurus, Iā€™ve also:

• Removed all addons
  • Renamed existing cache, errors, WTF and interface folders (with suffix ā€˜OLDā€™)
  • Updated to latest NVidia drivers (Geforce GTX 960M Driver Version: 456.71 - Release Date: Wed Oct 07, 2020)
  • Set Bnet Launcher and Wow.exe to run as admin
  • Disabled any excessive programs on start-up
  • Ran a scan and repair
  • Made sure no overlays are active
  • Scanned RAM for any issues

Here is my error log: https://pastebin.com/YnWJtwEf

Iā€™m playing on a Dell Inspiron 15 7559, which is from 2015 and was easily handling BFA prior to this patch.

Hi Tweakerpoof

Indication that your Symantec Firewall or Antivirus is involved here.

This might likely not be relevant to your current issue, but your CPU falls below the Minimum Requirements, sir.

Tratt,

My Firewall/Antivirus is the same one Iā€™ve had on this laptop for Legion and BFA. This isnā€™t a new variable in the equation. But if you believe the issue lies here, can you provide me some additional focus for my troubleshooting?

Thanks

Roomys,

I appreciate the observation but this laptop is only 5 years old and quite a workhorse. I was running BFA at full performance and graphics. Being in the software world myself, I can understand that cutting edge code often caters to recent tech, but Iā€™m at a loss if weā€™re suggesting a 5 year old machine canā€™t run this expansion. Also of note, my wife has an 8 year old laptop with worse specs than mine and somehow it runs on her laptop lol.

sorry this is Tweakerpoof, i logged in with this toon and changed my user for these posts lol

Being in software you should know that support normally ends when infra goes EOL. :wink:

Indeed, but 5 years! lol

1 Like

The 138 error code is a generic code. The wow techs and myself like to call it the ā€œI donā€™t knowā€ code. We hunt for clues - what I see is Symantec at the top of the loaded modules when the game crashes. That makes it highly suspect - it shouldnā€™t be there.

Now often if Antivirus is involved we see other reports. Odd thing is that isnā€™t always the case. The Antivirus A.I. on a particular machine takes a dislike to something Wow. Usually the Agent.exe process but it can be others.

What we really like to do here is uninstall the 3rd party antivirus. Use whatever tool the vendor offers to do a complete job. Windows Defender instantly takes over. Then test.

Let me track down a updated list of exceptions for you. I havenā€™t been on the forum here for some time so my list will be outdated.

hahaha, yeah tell me about it! :joy:

I appreciate the effort Tratt!

Here you go

Local Disk (C:) > Program Files (x86) > Battle.net (both Battle.net Launcher and Battle.net icons)

Local Disk (C:) > Program Files (x86) > ProgramData > Battle.net > Agent > Agent.7220 might add Agent.7212 as well (Agent icon)

Local Disk (C:) > Program Files (x86) > World of Warcraft > retail (Wow icon)

Local Disk (C:) > Program Files (x86) > World of Warcraft > retail > Utils folder. (Wow Browser and Wow Voice Proxy icons)

Note: These are default locations - if the game is installed on another drive you will need to navigate there.

I have removed Bonjour and any other apple related software and am still receiving the Error 138.

Error log: https://pastebin.com/t03uAmT6

Tratt,

1. What did you want me to do with these files you are pointing out?

2. In my battle.net folder there is no subfolder named ā€˜Agentā€™. There are 4 subfolders: ā€˜Battle.net.12421ā€™, ā€˜Battle.net.12428ā€™,ā€˜Battle.net.12437ā€™, ā€˜Logsā€™

Sorry I gave you a bad path there - should be:

C: ProgramData > Battle.net > Agent

Add those to exceptions in your Symantec Firewall and Antivirus. You would want to google how to do that. Those paths all lead to Icons - .exe processes.

Note: The ProgramData folder is hidden on some systems. You would want to enable ā€œShow Hidden Files and Foldersā€. Type that in Windows Search box.

Not sure what to try here next Lannosaurus. Are there any overlays running on the game. Discord - Geforce Experience - RivaTuner those sorts of things. If so disable.

Letā€™s see what a Selective Startup brings:

OK thanks, iā€™ll check that out :pray: