Era is very much alive, don't listen to what other people say

Whitemane is a west server. [NA} prime time is about 9 hours from now.

Timezones dont matter when its the only era cluster thats actually being played. Plenty of east coast ppl play on it.

I just think its wildly disingenuous to say its “popping” when there are 0 raids happening in the middle of the day on a Friday.

But its okay. Eyr posts all day on the SoD forums claiming the game is dead, its all bots, nobody plays… and yet has a gall to call Whitemane “popping” … uhh huh

1 Like

I’m not sure that applies to Era. It’s a retail post talking about a retail channel (that doesn’t exist in Era). I think there still is a policy though. I thought I saw something and there was a dude a while back who got a response in CS for why he got banned and it was advertising the wrong thing in the wrong chat maybe?

Either way, I appreciate you going and trying to dig up info on this!

1 Like

yes its does matter where the server is and 9 hours before primetime on a server is not a good time to start judging activity. you also said other stuff in your poorly constructed post that needs no comment.

4 Likes

the census tool is legit linked IN the era discord to download. we have been using it for years now.

If you have the tool, why do you ask:

Why not just give the numbers?

4 Likes

I wish more people realized this and we broke out of the “mega server” culture. 3,000 pop servers without layering are ideal IMO, but blizzard classic team has said, even though they wish they could have that again, due to technical / operational limitations, it’s unlikely going to happen again.

But still, we as a community would be well off with a mindset shift away from mega server or bust.

7 Likes

So far my best time with Era was right after TBC “classic” came out and almost everyone (no exaggeration) left to play it. Came with a cash shop boost, a cash shop mount and everything! How could any self respecting classic loving player say no to that?

The first few weeks I remember being one of like 11 players on during peak (Mankrik) horde side. Alliance side Mankrik bled like everyone else but still had well over 100 people playing it from what I remember.

Then as the weeks turned to months the pop kept going up on both sides. Horde very quickly got to like 20 regulars and before too long it was 50 then over a hundred and towards the end of TBC it felt like a real server again. Populations exploded shortly thereafter with the release of Wrath.

In a way the game felt new again - doing the first UBRS as a “server” in the aftermath felt amazing. Doing 5’s for blues for the raids we would do “one day” when more people came back. From there a real horde guild formed and held things together until other people were cool with hanging out with classic andys again.

Dont get me wrong, it wasn’t the best vanilla-ish experience one could have but it was better than everything that came after P2-3 post Classic relaunch. I got by levelling a bunch of horde rogues and trolling LFG chat about the lack of players which ended up making me a couple of new friends who actually play the game so that was nice.

5 Likes

I agree with your point but (assuming you play Alliance), Mankrik was never lower than 50 players online, even summer '21 after TBCC same out it was a couple hundred peak and around a hundred at off hours. You may be misremembering or misinterpreting the ‘who’ results.

I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately, especially because of the generally positive experience I’ve been having on Grob since I came there.

I really think they need to lean into layering but treat it like mini servers. Everybody gets assigned to a “permanent” layer that acts like your server. This bubbles up to the guild layer so if you join a guild, you’ll always be on that guild’s layers. Layers are large enough that at least a handful of active guilds are grouped together. Only if your layer is full would you be temporarily assigned to a new one and you can still be invited to a group and join the group leader’s layer. You can still communicate with the entire server via the public chat channels.

I think WoW is better played in that legacy (ie, 2004 to 2006) “mid pop” setting. There’s enough people to do activities with and you still see people out in the world that you can interact with, but not so much that you can’t actually do your professions or that you have to line up to do quests.

2 Likes

Im fairly positive the poster you’re replying too was referencing the horde population as I had the same experience - low horde population on the mankrik cluster.

I noted in my previous post that, while the horde took its time to become a faction again on Mankrik, their alliance counterparts were still well over 100 active players right after TBC launch.

Obviously they took a big hit like everyone else did but Mankrik alliance were still raiding right after whereas most everyone else had to build back up to that. Pretty sure there was still a guild or two doing Naxx, please correct me if Im wrong.

1 Like

If the auction house on both sides are over 20k posts of items. It’s alive. Don’t kid yourself.

1 Like

Oh look, another thread of people that don’t play era, posting on the era forums about how bad era is.

5 Likes

Random check of three servers that I have characters on. 7:30PM server time. 5 horde, 5 horde, 7 alliance. Tell me again why these servers should exist…

RP and RPPvP servers dont count. Go on the PvP or PvE clusters. If this scope was only about a per server basis then yes each server from the cluster can be considered dead. But combined together they level out to be alive.

Do I wish this wasnt the case? Sure. Will it happen? Maybe.

But due to the allowed nature of market manipulation screwing people and guilds over with mats needed for consumes on raid nights and the bots running rampant flooding the economy with gold. The unchecked GDKPs… Who in their right mind would play classic in the full capacity needed?

Most play classic ERA for a bit of nostalgia up to 60 then quit because doing anything past ZG/AQ20 requires bought gold through RMT, Anyone that says different either slept with the guild master or their sister to get a spot on the roster or filled a bencher.

1 Like

I don’t get why people are so upset about the inflated economy, it makes it easier to make gold, not harder,

It’s not a big deal.

1 Like

How in the world does it make it easier to make gold? If you want to buy consumes for raid you are stuck shelling out almost 1.5k for a few deaths worth.

It only makes it easier to buy your mount and respecs and skills. Beyond that buying anything you NEED from selling stuff you gathered or had drop is tedious when they all cost 150-200% more than average.

1 Like

Because everything sells for more, raw materials, consumes, BOEs at all levels, etc. People that raid GDKPs don’t farm usually since they make more gold just running raids from their payouts. This means lots of buyers wanting items and not too interested to go out into the world to get them.

You also have to taken into account that Era economy goes in cycles based on the supply and demand, which change at different rates.

If you bought 1000 mana pots before SoD late December 2023 - it would have cost you about 1000g. If you sold those pots a few weeks ago, you woulda made 50,000g selling them.

For that specific commodity the supply dropped to near zero but demand remained about the same. That means you could easily make a few hundred gold per hour on a lvl 55 toon just farming ogres (not a very efficient farm normally).

I understand that its the same trick im doing with black lotus. Almost 500 bought at low price and will sell when demand rises after lvl 60 content in SoD.

What I mean is these cartels influencing the market on raid level consumes. I’m a single person, I hardly affect this much. But these cartels have ruined the herb economy for years and arcanite/righteous orbs.

In todays economy for ERA as we speak if you don’t have at least 10-15k stashed you wont get bids in GDKPs and you will suffer through full consumes. Most of the raid pugs or premades want everyone always full on consumes and world buffs these days. I saw maybe 2 casual guild runs but they haven’t even hit BWL yet for prog which shows either their lack of attention span or they cant afford to.

1 Like

This isn’t happening on Era to any huge degree. There are lots of people farming and selling their goods. The main thing is that demand is usually way higher than supply (again because raiders get paid all the gold they need from raids so they generally don’t spend time farming).

When demand is high the price of goods will increase - which is good for new players since everything they farm will be worth a lot more.

You can easily find ZG / AQ20 runs that will take someone with just a few thousand (even less) gold. MC / BWL groups are also needing buyers that need low tier items all the time.

Even in AQ40, a lot of the common gear that was really expensive (think warrior 2.5 tier, etc.) is like 20% the price it was even a few months ago. You can buy warrior t2.5 shoulders (BIS) for under 5k gold in lots of runs. Yesterday I saw boots of fallen hero go for 2k gold in the AQ40 I was in.

Now, naxx gear is still pretty expensive - but if you want to raid naxx you will need good gear and parses in the other raids. And while you are getting that, it gives plenty of opportunity to save up gold from the raid payouts.

TLDR: New player journey → Farm random world stuff / preraid bis for a 1 week, spend a few months in earlier raids getting pre-naxx bis, pump hard in earlier raids for another couple months saving up gold and getting good parses, after 4-6 months a fresh player with skill and a useful class/spec is ready for naxx.