Epilogue: Judgement spoilers

So cool thing I found out about draenor loa: they do not come from divine patrons. They are manifested by primal spirit of a people. So that’s exactly what I was talking about. Neat!

Whoops, we sure have. Sorry op.

Uhm…

Those aren’t a thing. Loa are what trolls call their god-like beings, and trolls are not from Draenor.

What specifically are you referring to? The ancestor worship of the orcs? Because orcs don’t gain power from that. They have shaman instead, who follow the spirits.

Mag’hasr orcs from alt-draenor are the exception, but they follow the Light via the draenie.

I get that. But the framing of the Trolls is genuinely quite bothersome. I get it’s not their story but they’re framed as being just woods monsters.

Also this seemed pretty inevitable tbh. The Farstrider’s admitted purpose was to shield their people from any sense of horror and danger.

And uh. Yeah, that’s a pretty terrible plan for reasons that became self evident in the worst way possible.

4 Likes

They’re called primal gods.

From WoWhead:

While the primal gods of Draenor, including Anzu, Sethe, and Rukhmar, were born from a large amount of spirit as opposed to the coalesced power of the Well of Eternity,[38] they have similarities with Wild Gods such as massive size, age, speech, and even Rukhmar creating the arakkoa like some Wild Gods made races of their own. In 2017, Matt Burns stated that he was hesitant to call them Wild Gods as the term has direct ties to the keepers on Azeroth, but added that he does think they’re part of a greater set of similar creatures.[39][40] In Shadowlands, “wild god” (written in lowercase) is used for some non-Azerothian nature spirits,[2][3] making it no longer specific to Azeroth.

1 Like

Well, I think he might be referring to either the old lore, where Goldrinn was somehow on Draenor and Azeroth. (He was called Lo’gosh on Draenor) and there was a white wolf spirit said to inhabit terrokar forest.

That or he meant Anzu, Seth and the Fire bird, who’s name I’m forgetting atm :stuck_out_tongue: :wolf:

2 Likes

What primal gods ascended from people believing in them? The only primal gods I am remotely aware of are tied to the aarakoa, and all are draenor-equivalents to wild gods, with similar origins (as confirmed in your quote).

What am I missing?

1 Like

Rukhmar of the Never-Dropping Mount.

2 Likes

They came from the primal force of spirit, which I don’t think can exist without living beings.

It can. Spirit is basically an elemental force. It’s where monks draw their chi from, Azeroth’s world-soul is very strong in Spirit, so on and so forth. It can exist without sentient life, but sentient life needs it to exist.

Link to it.
https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Spirit_(lore)

I see it linked to only living things. World souls, or sentient elementals. I don’t see it existing as an inanimate force. (Even rocks/earth it comes from are said to be alive by shamans.)

None of the forces exist as inanimate though? All six have a sentience to them in description. I’m not sure why you think an inanimacy is a point of contention here.

Edit: Ah, I think I see. I took your “living things” comment to mean animals, humans, plants and so forth. I, frankly, didn’t think we were going so far down the rabbit hole to imply world souls being empowered with Spirit was on the same level.

1 Like

Yeah, I was just trying to figure out how these things spring into existence. Because they do it through sprit, and spirit is vague.

I guess all I needed to know was “is it possible for gods to manifest from spirit.” The answer is yes. Shamans can control and manifest sprit.

So it is 100 percent possible for primal gods to manifest from the spirit of living people if it can manifest from rocks and elementals and such.

It’s probably much easier for this to occur on a planet without a world soul for reasons unknown.

I think you’re making a very massive leap here, conflating the Spirit in a planet to the same Spirit in a rock. The Primal Gods of Draenor spawned much like the Wild Gods did on Azeroth, just under a different name. That’s from your own quote. They were formed not from the spirit energy of a rock or person or even an elemental, but of a whole planet.

Saying that because it can happen with a planet, it can therefore happen from a person is… Reaching pretty dang hard.

But that’s it for me. Any further and we’re going to get really pedantic, assuming we’re not there already.

What I think makes this not pedantic is “is this a natural event that can happen at any time due to spiritual influences (it’s this one)” or “is this a thing that a divine being has to orchestrate.” And I think that matters to me from a worldbuilding PoV. But yeah, we can be done. I just think this stuff is interesting.

Personally, I hate her because of her hair, and sshe looks better in open toed heels than me…

Damn, she rocks those heels.

3 Likes

I dislike Tyrande because she’s a mean beetch. But I understand that is why some people like her. I personally like having a villian in this game who is just an unforgiving beetch, because then I can be justified in disliking her.

I’m glad she’s still a mean beetch.

2 Likes

I’m pretty neutral on most Nelf characters but I do like Maiev as she’s basically Judge Dredd but playing it safe.

I remember it feeling surreal to see her out of armor.

2 Likes

Yeah, in all seriousness, Tyrande was too heavily ignored for so long. Maybe its bias I felt like her role in the game from cata to legion was very uninteresting. She existed either to make Varian look good, or Malfurion, or Illidan. She existed to show how nice nelves were to let the worgens come live with them.

But in BfA, though she was the same as she has always been as a character, the scenes that were set for her, her motivations, her grave tone, and her power level as depicted, all made her much more interesting. More present.

I have never been able to like nelves, nor their culture as depicted in WoW (not to be confused with WC 123) but I felt that BfA changed the race for the better, making them more interesting. It made Tyrande seem far more awesome.

When I’m in horde mode, I much prefer Tyrande as a nemesis than Genn, and way more than Anduin. I liked that the story gave her justification and vindication. I sympathize with Alliance players who feel that it didnt feel like it. Like it was the same old Tyrande as Sideshow Bob to Sylvanas’ Krusty.

But if I could communicate anything to Night Elf fans, that I know they likely dont want to hear…

“Your race and your racial leader are far more relevant now, and recognizable as a result of the narrative in BfA. I’m sorry it feels bad.”

2 Likes

Sure they are more relevant.
But what was the payoff of the burning and the night warrior? What was the point of night elves being raised as forsaken and joining the slaughter of their own kin.

Because so far it seems NEs were used as a tool for Sylvanas redemption and yet another horde identity crisis + another coming of age story.

1 Like

Thrall and Baine will likely remain afk and Thrall is still riddled with doubts and a lack of confidence that he’s lost since WoD. To be honest every word that comes out of him is filled with doubt.

Why isn’t Genn saying anything to her?