Enough with the 2H Tanking!

Here’s the thing: That means the Tank is not wanting to carry his end of the weight. He expects the Healer to just work harder to make up for his ineptitude.

28 Likes

Yes. Sometimes warriors would remove the shield for more rage and more threat. Still, you are a tank and you should be well geared for mitigation. Classic is about waiting for the tank to establish threat. Now, nooooooooooo we played retail so we treat classic like retail. When it doesn’t work, people complain. Tank+shield nuff said.

8 Likes

Shield tanks won’t fix bad heals, and will nosedive the clear rate. But if you want to play the game that way, go for it.

4 Likes

In my experience, this issue is about gearr and levels. If you over level and over gear an dungeon do what you want.

A lot can be done with great gear in particular.

1 Like

Also, have you seen in classic anyone using sap or sheep?

5 Likes

It would immediately give a sense as to the type of dungeon content you may have experienced in Classic so far. The content of the majority of this thread is absolute garbage, in my opinion, and I only assume it is more trolling by Retail players, who I tend to want to ignore.

If you actually have opinions on Classic Warrior tanking, perhaps you could post some opinions on my guide.

It’s difficult to add to this conversation, as it doesn’t seem to start from a reasonable base of understanding. The posting by Retail player accounts adds to the appearance of not being familiar with Classic.

4 Likes

I don’t expect tanks to be prot but I don’t understand why they can’t throw on a sword and board. The difference in damage they take is night and day

8 Likes

So don’t roll with them. It does not take that long to find a tank. 15 min maybe?

1 Like

Main complaint is irrelevant as long as they have a 1h/shield to macro-swap to when they need to mitigate more than build threat.

4 Likes

You’re right. I’m not familiar with Classic (Vanilla)…but I’ve played since TBC, and by this point it should seem obvious that Tanks use shields. Like I said above, any Tank showing up without a shield is just throwing part of the load he’s supposed to carry onto the Healer.

14 Likes

I’ve healed a cath that decided to run with a 2h tank, this was my first time seeing this.

Cath is a easy simple dungeon when you’re past the trash.

Finally on the boss when you reach the double boss phase the 2h tank takes insane hits in the face and dies and wipes the group.

2h tanks need to go, its not a heal issue.

14 Likes

Tank takes more damage from each mob.
Tank actually holds aggro.
Healer has to heal the DPS less often.
Mobs die faster.
Healer actually saves mana.

You’re welcome.

19 Likes

Not on my server. Tanks are in short supply right now.

1 Like

Doesn’t matter. If you started in BC then you had a taste of vanilla. Sword and Board or you don’t role.

2 Likes

I’m just amused that someone can struggle with mid level dungeons enough to foist all the blame on a warrior weapon choice. You can 2-man a lot of SM with an Arms and healer. The amount of mitigation equipping a shield yields at those levels won’t fix the underlying problem: bad tank or bad healer.

7 Likes

There is no by this point in Classic. It may as well be a different game.

For which level of content? Trying to non-trivialize rather trivial content, and pretend it is more difficult than it is gives rise to some players complaining about mediocre players exhibiting egos of top tier players, when they are not.

2 Likes

That’s what he is saying :stuck_out_tongue: That tanks need a sword and board lol

Not from my experience.
Everytime I run with a 2H Tank, I end up blasting my mana nearly every pull.
Conversely, when I run with a shield-carrying Tank, it’s a breeze. Many times I never even have to drink a single time.

19 Likes

A shield at lower levels does not offer that much extra damage mitigation. You’d be lucky to get 10%. If that’s the difference between you having mana and going OOM, I think it’s a you problem.

11 Likes

If you can tank without a shield it means one thing. You’re not pulling enough mobs at once. Show me a tank doing deadmines pulling a 3 elite pat, and 6-8 non elite mobs and surviving without a shield when the group is all lvl 17-20.

Sure you can be a dps meatshield for a couple mobs with a 2h, but you ain’t really tanking.

8 Likes