Enhancement Shaman question

Hey guys, So Wind fury. Most enhancement shammys roll around with 2 handed weapons. But what about dual wield shammys? Can that even be a thing in Classic?

Like can you cast your max rank WP on your main hand weapon, and the 2nd highest rank on your offhand weapon? could that even be a thing?

DW was added in TBC.
2H is a talent I am pretty sure.

6 Likes

2H is definitely a talent in Classic / vanilla.

1 Like

Oh! so shammys can only use sheild and “off hand stat sticks” in offhand then? dono why but i thought DW was in classic, just ppl opted for the 2 hander.

You could use a staff for your 2h until you get 11 points in enhancement to use 2h maces or axes. There wasn’t dual wield in vanilla for shaman.

2 Likes

So enhance is 1h+shield till they can talent 2h at tier 3 enhance so you need 11 points in enhance to get which is lvl 20 at the earliest.

2 Likes

You can use staves as well, without the enh talent.

1 Like

In Classic, staves have actual DPS to them, the same as any other 2h weapon.

So the ‘use a staff’ comments are actually useful information, unlike Retail staves which have very low weapon DPS.

(The formulas for weapon DPS were altered in some expansion, I forget which one, which allowed caster weapons to stop having innate DPS to them in exchange for itemization points for more spellpower. This mechanic didn’t exist in Vanilla, so in classic, all weapons of a given item level have similar DPS; no split between caster weapon/melee weapon.)

DW was in vanilla, but it was in the pre-BC 2.0 patch of vanilla and Classic is based on 1.12 not 2.0, hence why they are calling it 1.13.

You don’t get windfury weapon until level 30 either.

I know I’ll be farming Alterac Mountain Ogres for the rare spawn that drops Punisher (a level 31 4.0 speed 2h mace). I still have fond memories of wiping the fresh meat crayons all over floor of Azeroth.

2 Likes

2.0 isn’t Vanilla. It’s BC.

5 Likes

You cant, its either 1h and shield or 2h with that talent.

Shamans where stuck in a weird place in vanilla trying to be the Horde’s Paladin but they can get some pretty amazing hits with that 2h windfury.

Yeah no DW.
However Dagger+Shield with Flametongue is an extremely strong combo for both leveling and pvp against melee classes.

The ultimate 21 point talent that will drive your enemies before you.

Parry

2 Likes

Until ~ 29 (corpsemaker from RFK) you probably wont be finding better 2handers than staves anyhow, so don’t rush to get that talent unless you find something crazy… ~18-20 you should aim for the Wailing Caverns quest staff or the drop staff from the final boss of WC.

Even despite that, 1h/shield is quite viable via the efficiency increase (via the downtime reduction) possible from taking less damage, if you find the right 1h, though that isn’t always easy.

As far as weapon enchants, I honestly found rockbiter better in basically every situation except group play, but I also had decent luck getting slower 1hs, and never found a faster dagger type weapon… Anything 2.0+ (most axes and maces) felt better rockbiter over flametongue before 30…

After 30, you might want to consider still using rockbiter for 2h (to avoid massive overkill and “wasting” damage when the 2h procs when the mob’s at 10%), but swapping to windfury all the time for any 1hander.

Super under-rated talent.

1 Like

Yeah parry is amazing for leveling. Not only is it an excellent damage reducer so you have less downtime, it also increases your dps since each parry marginally speeds up your next attack.

The crescent staff from wc dungeon quest in barrens would be an ok one at that level. It has nice stamina and int.

Don’t underestimate spirit for mana using classes either.

While leveling, generally speaking, whichever one you have a newer rank of is better.

The idea that you should only use RB or only use FT is an oversimplification at best. Your target matters, the relative recency of ranks matters, your weapon and overall gear matters. They only last five minutes, you should be re-evaluating the situation on a regular basis and using the best one for the mobs you’re killing at that particular time.

1 Like

Sure. The only things to worry about is certain mob immunities or resist tables and of course, not using Rb in a group unless you’re tanking something for some reason.

Mickymoo, that’s the one big advantage Paladins have over Shaman. There is really no such thing as Holy Resist.

Shamans always got the short end of the stick, it seems. Won’t stop me from trying a Spellhance Shammy.