Engineering Should be a Secondary Profession

Title. Engineering has never had the same mainstream crafting or commerce functionality as any of the other primary professions. Engineering’s strengths have always lied in its utility items, gadgets, and gameplay aids. With DF they tried to make engineering relevant in the new profession system by adding crafted braces, but the profession still couldn’t compete in the market. If Blizzard is never going to make Engineering truly Primary, then just make it an official Secondary profession so everyone can use it on all of their characters as a utility profession alongside cooking, fishing, & archaeology.

Engineering’s perks lies in such tools as wormhole generators, unique gadgets, mounts, & transmogs. It’s relevance to primary gameplay isn’t any more sophisticated than archaeology or the other secondaries. So just call it what it always has been, a secondary profession. Let’s stop gating people from having the functionality of two real primary crafting or gathering professions by removing the choice between full crafting competence or convenience tools/utility.

Make engineering secondary.

4 Likes

Engineering was never about making profits it was about using the cool utilities it provided. That’s the difference. You sacrificed making gold with blacksmithing or jewel crafting for utilities you can use.

I would rather have my wormhole portals and have a variety of cool things to use than pick another profession

8 Likes

Have you seen the price of the toys on the AH?

Engineering can make gold just fine.

1 Like

thats literally what i said… its function is entirely different from the primary professions and therefore should be secondary.

Just because it doesn’t make money doesn’t mean it’s worthless.

That’s like saying fishing and cooking are secondary because they’re worthless… Both also make money well especially for raids.

Exactly… a profession that makes toys… gadgets… personal utilities… should be secondary… I didnt say a professions value is only in making gold… all of the primary professions have end-game essential features from consumes to gear, in addition to being the primary gold makers. Engineering offers none of the above, and any gold it does generate pales in comparison… Therefore… Secondary

So we’re going to take out all the bombs and scopes then? Because… Scopes are enchants and bombs are useful for damage and stuns. What about the speed boost or glider/parachute?

If we’re taking these out then what’s the point?

1 Like

you’re making this assertion that ive claimed professions only have value in gold making, and i didnt say that nor do i believe that. I didnt say fishing or cooking are worthless either. I’m literally on your side but youve some how twisted my position into something antithetical to whatever youre on about

The key though is those toys are currently being sold at razor thin margins due to mats being either botted, or being farmed from AH sniping and manipulation to where its not practical for the common player to profit. Without using the above methods, trust me as someone who literally has every single DF schematic, all knowledge points maxed and tools maxed. It’s frustratingly difficult to profit, as the bulk of the time I’m better off buying what I need of the AH over making it thanks to bots causing margins to rapidly decline to razor thin levels.

I do think that engineering should be a secondary at this point, it certainly has its uses, but the bulk of the time you simply aren’t going to profit much off it other than getting a rare schematic early on and selling the toys early.

1 Like

Don’t forget Engineers also make guns and goggles and the new Tinker items.

1 Like

Holy Crayola, i did not say anything anywhere about taking out bombs and scopes. don’t conflate any items’ absence from my brief list of engineering perks as somehow a greenlight for purging the profession of them. I didnt say anything like that. dont just make stuff up come on

You said it has no combat value like secondary professions. You said it doesn’t offer anything to help in primary gameplay. Then cited armour crafting as an example of primary professions offering players value.

I listed items engineering has. So it’s either as useful or we’d have to remove them to make it comparable to actual secondary professions.

1 Like

Engineering provides endgame gear like every other primary crafting profession and is almost always the profession used for crafting guns. Not the same thing as being able to make food or catch fish, and they’re not going to change the profession to let you use it in tandem with any other gathering/crafting combo.

I did not say it has no combat value. I said it cant compete. I did not say it has nothing for primary gameplay. I said it cant compete. What it does offer in these areas, as i actually said, pales in comparison to the other primary profession. This is Blizzard’s problem of never fully committing to engineering as a primary anything. Therefore, if theyre not going to commit to it, they need to make it secondary so that everyone can enjoy engineering baseline without having to waste a primary slot.

Disagree.
Engineering is more usefull than any other, be it goldmaking, endgame usefulness, fun items, teleports etc.

2 Likes

And pets, too! I’ve bought many myself because I don’t have an engineering chara.

1 Like

Nah, I think all the gathering professions should be baseline and then players pick two crafting professions as their primaries.

3 Likes

Hard agree. Have us be able to do it all, or just the one, or two. Like, if you have a skinning knife, you can skin. If you have a pick axe, you can mine. If you have that one all proff tools item, you can do it all.

Engineering has basically been about toys and trinkets since they removed ammo and much like inscriptions it just sort of flounders as a result

But we can still make scopes and ammo, the ammo functions like the weapon runes but specifically for hunters.

I would say we make guns but most times people just have a LW make them a bow instead. Goggles are great for personal use and bracers are in the same way though have a lot of competition with embellished items in that slot.