Engineering seems like it's going to get left in the dust for Shadowlands, is there any new content planned for it?

Every expansion since they added goggles has had them in at launch, and then added upgraded versions later. And we do have goggles at launch. They’re just garbage.

3 Likes

Isn’t engineering the strongest profession for M+ and raids? It gives you a Bres, and stealth/absorb for example. No other profession can provide perks like this. I feel like giving it more is already too much tbh.

The battlerez is on the same counter as normal battle rezes, has a chance to fail and kill the person rezing, takes a 5s cast, and requires you to be in melee range of the corpse. It’s not particularly strong.

As for the stealth/absorb, I’m assuming you’re referring to the belt enchants. The stealth has a backfire chance that prevents you from using stealth or invis for 15s, which makes it rather unreliable to plan routes/strategies around (and has a fairly high failure rate, wowhead comments suggest ~15%). As for the absorb, I don’t have a spare belt to test it on, but I wouldn’t be remotely surprised if it hadn’t scaled to SL HP levels.

Realistically, the buffs are better than nothing, but they really aren’t that terribly useful. Alchemy’s doubled flask duration is probably more useful in raids. Most of the reason I have it is honestly the loot-a-rang.

2 Likes

I know. Despite its flaws, it was still a requirement for a m+ grp without a bres to have an engineer. Not having a druid/lock/dk makes this item super duper valuable. It has saved A LOT of my runs back in BFA. The fail rate is also low as far as I know. (I personally haven’t experienced it backfiring, but then I could be lucky.)

The backfire isn’t fatal damage if you’re at full health, and it’s still so useful if paired with immunities such as turtle.

Didn’t know about this, thanks for the heads up.

I know these perks are weak, but can you name other professions which provide a boost in performance and utility?

It basically just saves you gold in the long run though; it doesn’t actually provide you extra stats or utility.

Actually, if that’s the case… you could just drop engg then because we can have our pets fetch loot for us. Unless, your engineer isn’t the hunter you’re posting with right now.

I mean, it’s not just about in-instance performance. Engineering provides very minor boosts in M+, and as compensation, has zero ability to make money, and as of SL, zero ability even to make itself gear. You’re sacrificing so much for that piddly little bit of utility, all of which can backfire/fail, and all of which has sooooo many conditions and restrictions placed on it.

Like, I’m actually fine with engineering not really having much in the way of money-making potential. But for the last like 3-4 expansions, we’ve at least been able to make a solid helm to get our gear started. This helm is simply insulting.

I’ve tried both. Pet fetch is substantially inferior. The pet has to run over to it, it takes much more time, and can suffer pathing issues. Also, Marksmanship.

3 Likes

I think you’re underestimating the BR big time. In M+, even if your grp has 1 bres and that person who can bres dies early on in a boss fight during tyrannical week, engineering can save the day. No other profession can save you in this scenario. It’s so far from calling it “very minor”. It can certainly make or break a key.

And this is why I think it lacks in the gear making and gold making departments-- it’s relatively useful in utility. It’s a justifiable trade off. Literally majority of people competitive in high keys were already ‘forced’ to take engineering just to have a backup bres.

I’d be happy with the goggles being worth while.

Give multiple tiers and let us upgrade them through the expansion.

Raid drops, torghast, weekly chests… higher the chest/difficulty the higher the item level and drop rate of the item.

We’d have the toys and one slot we can rock out.

As it is, by the time you can wear them, the goggles… they do nothing.

4 Likes

niche case.

the utility is minor and the tradeoff is unfairly scaled to it.

eng has been ignored for msot part for many xpacs now.

it relies prior stuff to keep the profession.

mailbox/jeeves/nitro/glider are all MANY xpacs ago…those are the main reasosn u keep it.

We got gunshoes in legion(bfa? i 4get) which was nice, but they also nerfed those into barely any use anymore.

yup…and u cant even sell them casue [requires engineering to use] (which if ur an eng…you’d make em rather than buy em)

3 Likes

Not even just that. They’re literally BoP.

2 Likes

Why are people underestimating the BR? The BR alone is so OP in M+ to the point where it’s a requirement for people doing/serious M+. This shows how “buffing” engg can make it even worse: people would feel even more forced to take engg.

1 Like

I wish it was reusable though. It’d be kind of cool if it was really expensive but on a long cooldown. But as of right now, it’s just kinda of expensive AND makes the item disappear on use…

are you daft?

givign ENG soemthing new DOESN’T have to impact any high tier content.

Nobody is saying give us some broken creation that makes it best for x content.
heck they can DISABLE stuff in dungeons/raids (they have done it before many times).

a niche BR usage does not make it fine for ENG to suck in every other regard. (especially say if u run with locks/druid friends/guildmates who come with em natively)

5 Likes

I’ve been an Engineer since Vanilla, and it is my favorite profession. It’s actually my profession IRL too lol.

I do feel that Engineering was short changed in Shadowlands, but considering the delays, and issues we have in the game right now, I totally understand that Blizzard had to pick their battles. I understand why Engineering was under developed.

However, my hope is that going forward Blizzard makes up for that. Missing out on the start-of-expansion gold rush, having nothing to add to the market, really hurts. Professions have been largely just gold-making side-games for several expansions, and it’s like Engineers didn’t get to play this time around.

9.1 I hope we get a mount and maybe a toy to craft. Something to get excited about. Absolutely doesn’t have to effect gameplay. We engineers just wanna tinker, and make some gold, like everyone else. We aren’t asking a lot here.

6 Likes

This was the case back in BFA, using it didn’t consume the item. It devalued it in terms of gold though, unlike now.
It disappearing on use is the reason why it’s expensive now.

So you automatically call anyone disagreeing with you daft?

No one is forcing you to take engineering. If you want a profession with new stuff and perks, then go ahead. As I had pointed out, them not giving anything new to engineering is justifiable because of how strong it is in certain content already.

If engineering is to have both strong utility (BR/stealth) and more “fun”/“perky” items/whatever it is you want for them to add to engineering, then that’s too much for one profession to have. There has to be a tradeoff.

no.
but you IMMEDIATELY went to any buff to eng being “forced to take it”

that was why i said it.

and this is further providing my prior comment…

NOBODY is askign for soemthign it is even beneficial in the content. (fun fact of matter: eng’s most enjoyed stuff is usually the toys which generally have no use in content apart from you know…fun/laughs)

so let me get this straight…you say that the cost to invest in ENG (which is HIGH considering its mainly consumables) is fine just casue of Brez? a brez item that can backfire? and that isnt required due to 2 other classes that can do it?

and didnt you prior ay ppl already took it up for brez?
if thats case then buffing the profession makes no difference :roll_eyes:

imagine if alchemy was only good for potions
scribes for just glyphs

a profession should never have its existence be acceptable by 1 item.

which is easy to do as they have done them in past…disable use of item in specific palces and/or make the material cost high…or you know stuff that DOESNT effect content (which you seem to think everything has to efefct combat content which isnt true)

4 Likes

Because there’s actually a difference. You can only use the BR IF you are an engineer. In pretty much all other professions you can use their products/items/consumables even if you’re not their respective profession e.g. you can use potions and flasks even if you’re not an alchemist, you can use gems even if you’re not a jewelcrafter, etc. They’re not comparable. That’s why people felt forced to take engineering- because it has a perk that’s 100% exclusive to them.

If they add items that are purely for fun/laughs, people would still criticize why they added “useless” things to engineering. I don’t think that’s gonna fix your perceived problem. Unless, of course, these “useless” things will sell for gold, which I would doubt… because they are “useless” in the first place.

YES. It IS that strong. You significantly underestimate it. Unless you don’t pve (Im sure the majority does pve), then I don’t get why you’d consider it as “niche” or “useless”.

Even if the backfire rate is high, say 50%, it’s still valuable.
Consider this scenario:
If you take engineering = 50% probability of ressing.
If you don’t take engineering = literally 0% ability to res.

Who’s gonna BR if that one person who has the BR dies first? It’s a possibility. Also, not all groups have a lock/druid/dk, esp in 5 man content e.g. m+/dungeons.

Again, this isn’t a valid comparison. You can still use potions if you’re not an alchemist. Likewise, you can still use glyphs if you aren’t a scribe. You can’t use the BR item if you’re not an engineer.

Aren’t you exaggerating??? Engineering still has A LOT of perks, albeit not new ones. In fact, there’s too many, I find it cumbersome to enumerate them here.

Well unfortunately, that’s the tradeoff they decided to go with. If you want them to add more pets/mounts/toys/lucrative items, they did so in other professions.

1 Like

That doesn’t mean they won’t add goggles.

But we have goggles. They’re just really really bad. And since they now have that special snowflake Crafter’s Mark system which is, in theory, supposed to solve the issue of having a bunch of similar items at different levels, they’ll likely just add new Crafter’s Marks to “solve” it. but the problem is, those marks work on BoE stuff from other professions, so they can’t tune their itemlevel to be too high (though the current marks are horribly undertuned even for BoEs, if we’re being honest). That means that these goggles will basically never be relevant, because they’ll never be able to be higher itemlevel than the BoEs available from other professions, despite being both BoP and profession-locked.

4 Likes

I made the Shadowlands portal toy thingy, I use that thing to travel many times a day. Its like a selectable-destination hearthstone on a 15 minute cooldown. Very handy for changing zones.

Other than that, I barely touched the rest of the stuff other than to level up.

2 Likes

I am a bit cross that the engineering portal is random destination and we don’t have flight whistles anymore. Sometimes puts you in locations annoyingly far from the nearest FP.

WTB Pathfinder already.