Engineering seems like it's going to get left in the dust for Shadowlands, is there any new content planned for it?

I am unhappy with the engineering lineup this patch. In legion we got cool bonuses like the gunshoes and the gliders. This feels like a step down for us.

14 Likes

I’m sad to see the current state of Engi as well. I hit max engineering just the other day and… after looking into it–we get nothing new to learn except a pet? I do hope this changes.

5 Likes

Heck, we don’t even get a relevant helm. Need something like 75 or 85 to learn the helm recipes, but they’re blue items 7 itemlevels below normal 5-mans. And the marks needed to bump them up come from what’s effectively Revered with Ve’nari, and then it only bumps them up to 3 short of heroic 5-man itemlevel. Like, why even bother putting the items in if they’re going to be made so utterly useless?

Only benefits to running an engineer atm are “well, it’s better than nothing…I guess” battle rez, the wormhole generator, and all the past expansion stuff like repair bots, mailbox, loot-a-rang, etc. Literally 90% of the reason I have engineering is from old expansions. The only worthwhile additions recently were the mobile xmog and stable consumables. Shadowlands didn’t really add anything noteworthy for engineering.

17 Likes

Oh…
Just finished leveling my Engineering and I have some goggles sitting in my inventory waiting for when I’m 60. I didn’t know they’re that weak.

1 Like

Ahhh I was coming here to check if anyone else had an issue with engineering this expac. Seems i’m not alone.

Sure we can still use some older items like the goblin glider for our cloaks but we have to go back and gather up older mats for everything. Plus most of the other professions have stuff to contribute to the legendary stuff. Engineers don’t do anything.

It takes them a whole expac to add anything so Engineering is dead in shadowlands which is ironic.

2 Likes

Not only that, but we can’t even sell the scopes we make. BiS for hunters are enchants. The crit scope is currently selling for 15g on my server; doesn’t even cover the mat cost.

4 Likes

Yeah. I listed a few stacks of scopes and undercut the lowest price by a significant amount. Didn’t sell a single one.

I’m hoping there’s more added as the expansion world grows bigger. Scopes could use better stats.

10% haste is a nice buff, but then it’s random. Cut it half and make it always?

This is 100% correct from top to bottom.
Engineering in SL is USELESS!!!
You cant craft ANY PART of your legendary items like other crafting professions do. The explosives are irrelevant. The ONLY benefit you get from engineering in SL is a chance to res. Other than that Engineering is basically less useful than fishing. At least with fishing you can make money.

7 Likes

Blizzard NEEDs to expand on engineering. I am legit about to start over with another crafting profession because blizzard has given us NO reason to have engineering this patch.

2 Likes

So Jeeves, Nitro Boosts, Goblin Glider, portals, etc are useless to you? Engineering may not have anything new this expansion, but it has plenty of useful items.

1 Like

Setting Engineering up for getting rid of it in the next expansion:
“Well, there wasn’t really anything useful in engineering anymore so we are going to get rid of the skill”.

“Less is more” people, you all should know this by now.

What really breaks my heart is when I see a mob corpse that I can use engineering on to potentially get mats, but 99% of the time it just gives me rusted bolts and they only sell for 2 copper… 2 COPPER.

8 Likes

The conversation is about reasons to level engineering in Shadowlands, not previous expansions. Hence the title, “is there any new content planned for it?”

3 Likes

Anything at all useful right now I won’t drop engineering but for PVP or world related stuff still using nitro and a few things but anything you recommend to try out ?

Thanks!

Maybe so, but I was replying to this:

This, along with all the other comments saying that Engineering has nothing don’t seem to take into account that Engineering has MANY useful items. They just aren’t from this expansion. I understand the frustration of not having anything useful in the new expansion, but it seems silly to drop a profession that has items that are very useful.

I leveled my engineering to the max - there is zero useful things that can be made so far with this profession. I am still using items from 2 or 3 expansions ago, because they are superior to anything that can be crafted in this expansion or BFA. Lousy.

3 Likes

Don’t forget, there is an engineering-only A.H. in hub cities. You don’t need to run back to Org or SW like the commonfolk.

1 Like

Ya, but there’s almost always a longboi loitering by the mailbox these days, so even that’s kinda mitigated. Ya, the engineering one is reliable, but there’s also no mailbox nearby it by default, which is a royal pain.

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure things like goggles will come in a future patch. I clearly remember using goggles for the first half of Mythic HFC…didn’t play WoD at launch but I can imagine those goggles weren’t in the game at launch. Soon™