End the war on solo gameplay in WoW

I don’t have 252 ilvl and I’m soloing level 12 Torghast. Some players are able to do it at a lower ilvl than I have too. Now I do think they missed the mark not allowing actual gear to drop from Torghast, but you don’t need the recommended ilvl to solo the highest level.

1 Like

Thank you for the comment! Your story sounds very typical, like my real life friends and family members who quit WoW soon after reaching max level in SL.

There were always millions like us that played WoW quietly or casually before SL tried to kill our endgame by forcing us into premade groups—but we never dominated SNS, Wowhead articles, or the secret forums, so we seemed like a minority despite having the numbers.

WoW devs ignored our more quiet feedback and ignored the statistics (which they should be keeping track of) proving that the average player will do world content or queued content but will not make their own group or try to join other groups for overtuned content and increasingly grindy rewards.

The SL expac was bought by a record number of players, but current sub numbers seem to be the lowest ever. The elitist minority are going to be back in 9.2, but they are too small in number to make SL a success.

Our type of player is used to getting the least amount of content and rewards, but we certainly did not expect to be downright downgraded. WoW needs to go back to having something for everyone if it, well, wants to have everyone again.

9 Likes

YES! But it seems that asking for that automatically means we’re not willing to work for it.

It’s not just anecdotal. Multiple achievement tracking sites turn up numbers similar to this.

And most importantly, the system design of SL heavily favors the group players while indirectly telling the solo/casual players they have no reason to keep playing, so of course SL is going to be the expac that loses the most players. I wouldn’t be surprised if the end of 9.1.5 has fewer players than the end of the first patch of Vanilla.

5 Likes

Ok and? You can still do it at 233. I mean you might not be able to do it because you’re bad but it can be done.

Besides everyone just spams level 9s anyways.

1 Like

I don’t think he’s arguing against the concept of difficult solo content giving gear, just saying that none of the current solo content in the game is difficult enough to warrant giving good gear.

That part isn’t quite true. We used to pug through raids on a pretty regular basis pre-TBC. Sure, most players did have guilds they ran dungeons with, but there were frequent pugs in the LFG channel with semi-regulars from non-raiding guilds. Ones I joined probably cleared last boss as often as not. Of course the raids were easier.

I totally agree with this. It feels like Torghast 9.1 was designed as a playground for Mythic raiders to strut around in their gear, rather than serve as the solo progression content that many players wanted.

It’s definitely possible to do Layer 12 at a lower iLvl and on any spec if you blow all your offensive and defensive CDs on the first basic mobs and fish for good anima powers, but this would not be as enjoyable as going all in as a geared player and knowing that you can get Flawless by playing normally.

The recommended iLvl is in fact accurate if you look at enemy health and damage, especially the elites, outside of anima powers and powerful CDs.

2 Likes

If you want to enjoy torghast at that level then go raid to get that high.

1 Like

I don’t have 252 either and I am able to solo layer 12 as well. I would guess that there are a lot of players who can’t though and they shouldn’t be talked down to or called baddies if they are unable to because according to the dev’s, they SHOULDN’T BE ABLE TO. Blizzard put in current content that can be queued for as a solo player with a recommended ilvl of 252 for completion. Then they didn’t add any way for a solo player to obtain the recommended ilvl for completion.

That’s my point. Why make it queueable for singles, with no system in place for singles to obtain the recommendations for completion? That feels bad.

5 Likes

That’s because the endgame isn’t designed around solo play. The game is designed to have everyone so everything. If you choose to limit yourself and only play solo you are the only one to blame if you don’t get to complain about lack of options.

1 Like

WoW’s semi-official motto since 2013.

3 Likes

He’s said that:

Difficult and rewarding solo content shouldn’t exist because he (and other mythic raiders) would have to do it to keep his raid spot.

And

If they did make difficult and rewarding solo content, it’d be too hard for solo players and they’d complain, so it’s a waste of time.

3 Likes

This cracked me up. lol!

I often think that the only reason I still play is because WoW USED to be SO good. I’ve made some genuine friendships that moved out of game and have become lifelong. I have great memories of strong community, teamwork, solo rep grinds, meaningful rewards…I could go on.

Now I think I just keep hanging in there hoping they can recreate that when I know already that they can’t.

The only guarantee in life is that change is inevitable.

6 Likes

What kind of solo content do people even want?

Look, first of all, I don’t disagree that there should have been a progressive system for solo players to get gear. That said, we all have the same options to get higher gear. We don’t have to choose those options, but to say there’s not an option for solo players to not get gear is blatantly false. Just because the player chooses not to play the optional content in place to acquire higher gear does not mean there was no option for them.

I would like a soloing option for gear when I do not want to do any group content that can supplement the gear I get from the group content. Korthia did a decent job I think for the average player. Torghast could have also been the place for domination socket gear to drop, along with domination gems.

2 Likes

So, you are confirming what I said, but then not? You’re also insinuating a lower gear toon cannot get a flawless run on a 12. That is false. It is also far more enjoyable to blow up a boss that you are ilvls below the recommendation and get a flawless run. The ilvl listed is the RECOMMENDED ilvl. That doesn’t mean it’s the ilvl you need.

to bad torghast does not give gear like horrific visions did. Visions gave good enough gear that wasnt too strong or too weak for solo play and alts.

5 Likes

Getting Flawless is possible on a low iLvl, but not an enjoyable or natural experience because the basic mob attacks murder you unless you blow all your CDs or get lucky with anima powers early.

9.1 was good because you could get Korthia gear to 233, and only be 19 below 252, the recommended for Layer 12.

9.2 is not looking to be so good. Layer 16 is going to be tuned to 285 with empowered torments, while ZM gear will be capped at 246. It’s like the devs are trying to take Torghast away from the solo or casual players.

3 Likes

Actually, your statement is blatantly false. There are VARIOUS options for PLAYERS to get high level gear.

There are currently ZERO options for SOLO players to get high level gear.

3 Likes