End the war on solo gameplay in WoW

Challenging content that awards high level gear, without requiring us to form or join a group.

5 Likes

BFA got a lot of flak/complaints for being bad, but I gottta say it did have a few welfare paths for solo/casual players.

Especially by 8.3, not only could you casually farm a full Heroic iLvL (460) set just by playing solo-queue random BGs, you could also farm weekly 470 gear (just 5 iLvLs under Mythic) thru Horrific Visions.

And also the occasional freebie/welfare Heroic iLvL piece from the Warfronts quest.

4 Likes

And what exactly does said challenging content look like?

RPG hard mode?
Action platformer hard mode?
FPS hard mode?
Fighting game hard mode?
RTS hard mode?
MOBA hard mode?

Have you explored extreme difficulty in any number of games? Is that what you want for high level gear?

How about something like Mage tower with Torgast’s layer system? How about dungeons that can be done solo, or with a party of NPCs to fill the needed roles or with an M+ scaling system?

In short challenging solo content would look like either group content or solo content already in game but scaling to the appropriate difficulty.

8 Likes

I love these ideas, these are great. I also thought about the raid gear drops themselves, if they could be ‘geared’ toward just raid content rather than open world. All players would have the option to max their stats in the open world with gear drops from casual/solo content.

For example, if you play PVP, you get rewarded with PVP gear. PVP gear is not usable in the open world for PVE - not if you want to have appropriate stats anyway. So why can’t M+ be the same? Those that want to run M+ and enjoy the group content can do so, earning gear that scales with group size or that particular challenge, for example. Then the raid specific gear would be usable toward the next M+ and so on. But this gear would only be appropriate for use in raids or other instances, just like PVP gear.

In addition, everyone playing in any way or style (solo, group etc.) can benefit from max ilvl gear in the open world, which could be earned from running solo content if they so desire. Don’t know if this is realistic or not, but as a Wow lover and huge fan since Vanilla, a girl can dream!

6 Likes

Is OP dying to questing mobs?

Very odd that you’re claiming this book on designing workflow in businesses to maximize productivity is a “self-help book”. It’s almost as though you didn’t bother to watch the video because you were concerned the truth might shake your preconceptions. And besides, lying is more fun, right?

1 Like

I don’t need to play or try any other games to be relevant in this topic because we aren’t talking about other games. You are currently in the WoW forums, not the gaming forums.

Blizzard has already implemented lots of neat things that are, or could be, challenging and fun if they invested more resources into their design and reward systems. Currently, they aren’t intended to be a main source of gear or progression. They are intended to be side activities like pet battles, achievements, collections, etc.

I think it would be pretty cool if they would start designing some of these activities as an alternate path to high-level player power for Solo players.

Brawler’s Guild
Challenge Modes
Trove of the Thunder King
Mage Tower
Torghast
Horrific Visions

5 Likes

While we’re at it, let’s fix the scaling problems so that when I hit the new level cap I am not dying to every world mob imaginable. I can understand elite mobs but why is some trash 26k health mob able to kill me because I am a fresh 60 at the start of the xpac(not on this pally). Fix scaling problems.

1 Like

This is intentional. They think that typical players will be inspired by getting weaker as they level.

1 Like

The point of other games is to provide a basis for difficulty. You can’t say you want difficult and not give a benchmark. League has challenger division, WoW has Mythic+, Devil May Cry has Heck and Heck; all of which are 0 mistakes, high reflex, heavy focus type content.

There’s also the other difficult content in WoW that I’m fairly sure you don’t want. That being grinds. Mythic+ is a grind. Solo content may very well be the same.

I don’t think any of you will ever be happy because you’re asking to change the core philosophy of this game. Blizzard will do it eventually, but I don’t think it will happen as quickly as you want. And that’s assuming they do care. Clearly per the folks here, they didn’t with Shadowlands.

Torghast is the only one on that list I’m familiar with. It could be a single player experience for all I know. It’s also a prime example of how awful the balancing would be for single player. They would never get it right, same as how 1v1 PvP will never be right. Your class will be less efficient every other patch.

Like, wow.

1 Like

Sorry not sorry I like playing MMO’s for the multiplayer content. If I want to play single player I go play a zero latency game like the 5 million indie Metroidvanias out there.

You have a lot to say about wow and the poster who wrote that post considering you must not have played the game in many years to know so little about it.

5 Likes

Still say they abandoned covenant armor too quick in this expansion imo. They could have easily just let solo world content players continue to upgrade those sets with anima. Cap it at lfr item levels. Lfr is nothing more than just to see the story nowadays. Lfr has not really been a decent way to progress since mop anyways imo.

1 Like

They wanted those players to be stuck unless they moved up to harder content.

4 Likes

Maybe so. I guess they could of also went back to a similar wq system like in the two previous xpacs? Although with war, and titan forge gone idk how they could have made it work.

Yea I do not get inspired, I get annoyed because it’s 1000% not necessary at all lol.

Stuck at a lower ilvl? or stuck in what way?

Say Blizzard listens to the solo players and makes the above content relevant for solo progression how should they scale it?

If they were to make it even remotely as difficult as Mythic raid you’d have a ton of players complaining about it being too difficult (mage tower).

Would the gear only scale in open world/solo content or can you use it for PvP and Raids/Dungeons as well?

What ilvl should it be? Baseline or all the way up to Mythic raid level?

There are a ton of variables to consider before changing the core philosophy of WoW and the MMO genre.

2 Likes

Please just stop with the comparing it to people being upset about Mage Tower. Mage Tower is very different than it was in Legion.

4 Likes