End the war on solo gameplay in WoW

If I were asking it to cater to single players I would ask for the removal of all group content and stuff like. No way am I doing that. >.> we already have the single player content. It just doesn’t give you much. Some improvements to that would have been nice.

A lot of people enjoy wow’s single player content. Some people just focus soley on leveling alts. Since wow actually has a decent leveling system for example. The endgame is where it needs work.

It’s not like wow is going to turn into Bayonetta 3 lol.

3 Likes

Endgame absolutely needs work.

I’ve essentially become a single player again and there’s nothing left that I want to do. Especially as a player who likes to gear myself toward harder game modes.

I can either pug m+ or take my more casual friends along who can typically do 16-17s. The current roster of mostly older keys that most players don’t know the mechanics for is really not enjoyable.
I guess I can go do some old achievements, but I feel like I’m sitting online and just logging off after a few minutes like I did through most of WoD.

3 Likes

People do, but then raiders argue that more of that kind of content shouldn’t exist because either the solo players don’t deserve it, or they view non-raid content as chores.

9 Likes

Exactly.

They’ve become so laser focused on raiding that they view anything else as a hinderance.

5 Likes

Or some dingbat who hides under the banner of “casual” or “solo” player, comes and goes “whaaaaaa, it is to hard” and the raiders looka t that and go “see, see, they don’t want difficult content”

Everyone started playing WoW fully aware that it was an online game and there would be other players. Many (possibly most) players didn’t even personally know anyone already playing, but the hype was real and WoW was widely known to be more casual and solo friendly than other MMOs at the time.

The solo player experience in the early expansions was incredible. You could level up by questing and killing mobs on your own, and be rewarded with gear upgrades and talent points. It was hundreds of hours worth of solo progression. The best gear was from dungeons and elite group quests, but that felt like an option rather than a requirement.

But the solo player progression experience in SL is far from incredible. Leveling feels like regression rather than progression, and is over so soon. Then at max level, there is no Great Vault row for you. You are excluded.

Other MMORPGs and former WoW expacs (not Classic versions) have catered to solo players just fine. We never expected max iLvl to begin with, just worthwhile content and tangible power progression.

We are not asking for a racing game to remove cars. WoW can keep its three pillars.

Conversely, you hardcore elitists are the ones asking for WoW to remove what most successful MMORPGs already have.

3 Likes

The way I remember Horific Visions was that raiders absolutely loved the content and getting free corruption, especially pre-vendor in 8.3.

But go with your fantasy scenario.

There is nothing wrong with wanting more solo content in an MMORPG. No other gameplay comes close to WoW, stop having an extreme outlook on things because players don’t wanna do content that you like to do.

4 Likes

There is a wide spectrum of “raiders”.

Hardcore raiders who hate feeling forced to do non-raiding content to stay maximized complained about having to farm vessels from outdoor assaults then having to do the visions themselves for cloak upgrades and a chance at competitive corrupted gear.

Raiders who like having a wider range of things to do, including solo gameplay challenges, did enjoy the visions and appreciated the chance at rolling good corruptions for free.

But as is usual with WoW devs, the hardcore raiders won. The cost of entry was removed from Torghast and gear drops were removed. (Originally in early development, you had to farm the Maw for entry into Torghast, and bosses dropped placeholder gear).

The whole reason I bought the SL expac was because 8.3 Horrific Visions and the state of Torghast in early development made me assume that SL was going to have some form of optional solo gameplay-related content. But that couldn’t have been farther from the truth.

Then stop using “raiders” as an all encompassing “those guys are bad!” trope.

Geez.

That sort of sentiment goes both ways. When you have people in hear demeaning solo players and activities that are solo. Basically online bullying.

Stop attacking people and they won’t get defensive.

4 Likes

If you actually read my posts, you will see that I want the game to be good for raiders. For example, I think that bonus rolls and higher drop rates need to be brought back to make raiding progression more satisfying.

Devs need to stop using raider feedback as an excuse to destroy other content in the game, but it doesn’t mean that I personally blame the raiders.

“Solo players that do not engage even in solo instance content, just open world content” is pretty specific, compared to “raider” which is very generic.

I never attack anyone. I however do reply when people bring in “raiders” as a sort of all encompassing term.

I’m personally really happy with the questing and storylines. I agree it would be nice if there was an end quest that just involved a regular dungeon but that’s never been what the game is about and I can live with it. I rely on the cut scenes and videos to see what happens in the end.

1 Like

Raiders did complain about feeling compelled to do stuff like visions. So they took the gear out. That’s the complain that raiders ruin the experience for others. You see that with raiders wanting to make mythic plus gear bad as well.

It does not mean all raiders. Plenty of raiders aren’t commenting on this thread for example. Plenty of raiders don’t care about solo play.

But yea certain raiders did complain, blizz listened and many stuff got turned worse for other people in the past due to them complaining.

Such as pvp gear, ilvl wise, for example. They nerfed the item lvl for that so they didn’t need to be forced to do pvp.

It just ends up ruining the experience for others when you just listen to one side.

4 Likes

Which raiders ? Because my memory was that the room was packed with raiders enjoying the content massively, pushing masks early and having a grand ol’ time doing it.

The gear was in it all of patch 8.3. It never got taken out.

When you say “raiders” it automatically means all raiders.

PvPers were the ones complaining about PvEers in their content, because we were smacking them around like rag dolls for the free purps.

Nope.

If I say “raiders complained about farming Stygia in the Maw in 9.0”, it could either be a generalization that most raiders complained, or that there were some raiders that complained. You can’t really say anything about “all raiders” because it truly is a spectrum.

This is how the English language works in practice. (Some other languages avoid ambiguity such by using different grammatical constructions for generalizations.)

Raiders is a broad and generic term. So yes, sorry, saying “Raiders” means all raiders.

Take your own advice.

:man_facepalming:

And this is another reason why things said on the forums need to be taken with a grain if not a full shaker of salt.

Sure, it is a broad term, but if one can stop and think, before letting emotions dictate their response, they might realize that they are not one of the ones being talked about.

The thing about broad terms is it hits everyone in a group, but the only way to reduce the group mentioned is to say things like “some” or “a section of”, etc. If not that, then label the group that did, I.E. Hardcore raiders, but even then not all hardcore raiders complained, so the end result in using broad terms, in any fashion, is a damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation unless people can stop and think for a moment.

1 Like

Or just properly frame what you mean instead of using broad blanket terms ?

I’m not a mind reader, I don’t know what people “really meant” when they said Raider, a broad umbrella term that covers a large community of players.