End of SoM, confusing answer results in more questions?

From the WoW devs, and I quote:

Does that mean SoM can be used as a quicker way to 60 with the quest XP boost, and then just transfer to Classic? What happens to debuff limits in raids, raid bosses? Do SoM characters then just have to go back to the classic ruleset? Are the Classic Era servers going to be forcibly pushed to SoM rules? Somehow have both separate rulesets running at the same time on the same server?

Or has this just been really badly worded, and what will actually happen is that SoM characters will not be able to be migrated to Classic Era servers, and instead separate servers with the SoM ruleset will be created for them?

2 Likes

After a year, yes… But you’ll be waiting a year roughly.

2 Likes

Honestly I don’t think very many people playing SoM care what happens to their characters after the year is up.

I’ll probably just delete mine unless they go to TBC+ realms

7 Likes

Agreed, I’ll copy mine for progression notes if they don’t charge. TBC I won’t be in for however.

I hope/think this might turn into ladder seasons although longer for Diablo. Which isn’t a terrible idea. They would need to build on it, but it is a starting point.

You can’t transfer them any time. Only when the SoM servers close. When that happens, it says that they will go to classic era. That means all the old rules.

it sounds like it. doesn’t really matter though because Era is :skull: anyway

of course. this is blatantly obvious and requires no further explanation from blizzard.

Classic people are hilarious, “leveling is hard and you earn it!!!” …You can’t possibly be concerned that a person is leveling 10 times as fast as you, but won’t even join your server until March 2023.

Will you even be playing classic era in 14-16 months?

Not sure how it’s confusing. After SoM ends you transfer your character (seems like only 1 for free) to an existing Classic Era realm. You will then play by those rules.

My confusion comes with names. Every name already taken in Classic Era is unavailable, so people just lose their character names? At the very least they should free up names of characters that were never cloned to Classic.

1 Like

Maybe, but “the option to transfer” sounds like a paid feature.

What do you think happens to them? My guess is they either are reimplemented in the next Season of Mastery servers or not, but not introduced to Classic Era.

Nothing seems to suggest this, so I’d assume no.

Doubt it. When SoM ends, the servers stop being used. You can choose to transfer your SoM character to Classic era, or not play it. I don’t anticipate any other options.

In my opinion, the wording is clear.

1 Like

They’re doing it like Diablo Ladders/Seasons. SoM rules apply during the season. At the end of the season if you want to keep playing the toon it goes back to your account with all your other characters and plays under the base game rules. For SoM it will be Classic Era.

You could theoretically use it as a leveling speed-up but waiting a year to play the toon in Classic Era if that’s your goal is not particularly efficient.

4 Likes

The features of SoM are not going to transfer to Era. Era must stay a recreation to counter the abandonware claims. Once season sends the features are gone.

“When Season of Mastery concludes, you’ll have the option to permanently transfer your character to an existing Classic Era realm in your region. This free service will become available for a limited time at the conclusion of the season.”

2 Likes

If by quicker you mean a full year than yes

yet it remains to be a problem leveling on a pve server then transfering to a pvp server on era.

1 Like

What? The Era servers are deserted. You should be celebrating getting more players on the server regardless of how they got there.

3 Likes

maybe it is a problem in your mind. It still stands, these players won’t be entering classic for 16 months or more…i know you won’t be playing classic by then so stop whining.

Notice how it says character and not characters? Pretty safe to assume you get 1 free transfer and have to pay for the rest. This is Activi$ion after all. They’ll never miss a chance to milk the playerbase.

1 Like

Why do people continue to care about this topic?

LOOK at the data. How many people are playing on classic servers right now. Yeah, there is your answer. Once som is over so are your characters. No matter where you move them.

3 Likes

I ran AQ40 two days ago.

I don’t care if there’s 40 or 4000 people on Classic servers as long as there’s enough for raiding.

There’s no content I can’t experience on Classic servers at the moment. I had to take up the free transfer to the “main” server but after that the population is healthy and fine. Indeed it’s not much different to my home server pre-TBC.

Why do people continue to lie about this topic?

1 Like

It’s the pretty typical mindset of this forum: “I’m not playing it and enjoying it, so no one is.” It’s hard for most people to look outside their little bubble.

I imagine you’re correct. The almighty :dollar: will prevail. Honestly though, considering the pace of the season, who has time to make a bunch of higher level alts.
If I play, I’d just have a couple bank alts on the side. Possibly at lvl 35 for cool downs but that’s all I could manage.