Employee Fired For Writing Dialogue For Venture Company Loot Goblins

I think the thing is… Fancy boats are totally existing and have existed.

In Cataclysm, you even got to do a whole quest chain where you had your own and for a while, they were everywhere (in Thousand Needles).

Agreed, stupid to post if he’s looking for work.

He probably doesn’t want to work anymore, and just wants to live off his crypto investments.

More power to him I say.

It’s honestly impressive, the mileage this thread has gotten from very little available information, which people have then narrowed down to specific lines that must have been the cause without even knowing that the content of the tweet actually has any bearing on the actual cause.

I guess it’s the daily reminder for everyone that most of the threads here are just post count factories. :smiley:

4 Likes

Why am I not surprised to see you defending such nonsense…:rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Like it or not, everyone’s job is to make their immediate boss look good. This is usually accomplished by doing a good job on whatever they are responsible for.

Career minded people will look for a good boss, do everything they can to make them look good, get them promoted, and ride their coat tails up the chain. Good bosses will take you with them.

And if you want to stir the pot, always check with your boss first, make sure they’re on board and will have your back. If they don’t want to take on that fight, don’t make them.

If on the other hand, you cause controversies, make messes, and make your immediate boss look bad or make their job harder… You’re probably not going to go far.

1 Like

Most companies opt to make your life as miserable as possible so that you leave on your own, rather than directly fire you.

1 Like

The writer writes in a quest where Anduin, after spending years in the maw, comes back with a cure for the plague of undeath and wants to inoculate his kingdom. Turalyon doesn’t trust it and says, "we should do our own research. " and it kicks off a faction divide in the Alliance.

Blizzard fires the writer. Is it justified?

Would you risk being sued for libel by Bobby “The Yacht” Kotick for stating something other than the truth? Because you know he’ll do it.

You can already smell what The Yacht is cooking.

Haha what a hero.

so the quest sucked that bad huh?

maybe don’t insert your personal problems into the game and focus on making a good immersive quest? this is a trend with the narrative & quest folks now isn’t it? the less earth in Azeroth the better, hello?

not insulting your boss also helps avoid these situations…gg though
:grimacing:

1 Like

I still don’t think that’s a good example since it isnt a comedic moment intended for comedy but I’ll play along.

I’ll put myself in the shoes of the boss over there. Let’s say for the sake of this example I do find that offensive and or inappropriate for the current political climate.

The employee needs to be disciplined. How best to go about doing that? Make him attend sensitivity training with hr? Temporarily suspend him with or without pay? Verbal reprimand after asking him to see me in my office? Written reprimand put in his file? Demotion from his leadership position?

All valid options. There isn’t, however, any pressing need to go to the nuclear option and fire an employee for such an action.

Firing employees for misconduct is only for the most extreme offenses, like theft, gross negligence, sexual harassment, consistent poor performance, and racism/sexism/homophobia.

I don’t believe one bad joke that doesn’t disparage any minority or protected group that only pokes fun at the rich boss should merit termination, if in this situation we’re assuming that was the only offense.

1 Like

Bro, that joke was funny.

I’m not defending any nonsense.

If it happens as the “victim” claimed, they were asking for it.

Not only that, but to take to social media, and make a post letting any prospective employers know that they won’t be shown any sort of respect, is a great way to flush a career down the toilet.

1 Like

That’s the big unknown about this situation. We don’t know if anything else was a contributing factor. Over the years, I’ve seen several coworkers get fired over seemingly non serious things only to later find out they had multiple disciplinary actions against them prior to the final one that put them out the door.

And even if it was their first infraction, if blizzard has a zero tolerance policy for that particular thing, then why would you even want to risk your job by trying it?

2 Likes

He was not specifically attempting to mock Blizzard. The higher ups simply thought the joke hit too close to home.

Anyway, down with capitalism.

People acting like “Blizzard wouldnt do this without reason we arent getting the full story”.

Breast milk stealing, cosby suite bragging, rampant sexual harrassment committing blizzard would NEVER do something like that amirite?

1 Like

And what is this ‘particular theme’? An inside joke that pokes fun at the company?

Blizzard is rather inconsistent when it comes to accepting/allowing inside jokes with the company. The HotS developers for instance, famously included a ‘6.5/10’ banner into the game that is reference to a meme about the scoring IGN gave the game.

To my knowledge nobody was fired for this incident, even though it technically pokes fun at and draws more attention to a review that negatively affects the company.

Also he mentioned that his benefits were expiring the very next day.

Date of termination:

Benefits mention:

Done behind his back:

Termination takes time to plan, so it’s likely they were already targeting him 1-2 months before.

2 Likes

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/A_Bazillion_Macaroons%3F

But, if you bring me a bazillion macaroons before my yacht leaves the island, I’ll make sure that you’re one of the lucky few to escape.