Employee Fired For Writing Dialogue For Venture Company Loot Goblins

It seems like the “Looks like another yacht for me!” line hit a little to close to home for a certain someone. Absolutely ridiculous.

https://twitter.com/covingtown/status/1663998815458951168

121 Likes

Bro that’s weak, Blizzard is so soft these days.

59 Likes

Yep. They really terminated a 9 year long employee for doing their job, which was writing dialogue for a caricature of greed.

118 Likes

Well if it walks like a duck…

20 Likes

I guess I’ll be that guy, but is there any proof of this other than what this guy is saying on Twitter?

38 Likes

Eric Covington is an employee at blizzard. This is his account, looks pretty legit.

9 Likes

That’s not what he said. I have no doubt that the tweet really is him, but whether or not we’ve heard the whole story is another matter.

16 Likes

people around here don’t do “proof” of anything.

if it’s on the internet, it’s good enough to run with.

41 Likes

I think by this point we can all assume that the WORST assumption about Bobby Yachtick and ActiBiz is the actual whole case.

The company needs an enema - starting with the big turd at the top.

47 Likes

Your welcome to mistrust it but personally I believe it, if he’s lying he’s risking unneeded consequences and blizzard is always welcome to clear the air. Blizzard has not proven themselves to be worthy of the benefit of the doubt.

26 Likes

What I mean to say is, can anyone verify their claim?

For example, when I was a much younger man I got fired from a job because I started dating a coworker that the boss had a crush on, and that’s what I told people. But if I’m being honest with myself, that fact that I was late to work several times a week on a consistent basis was the real reason.

It’s just a little tough to believe a 9 year employee would be let go over a couple of lines of text poking fun at management because that’s been in the game for years.

Did the guy who wrote the questline of the goblins trying to unionize in bfa get fired?

11 Likes

More like he wrote appropriate dialogue for npcs, whose backgrounds and ideologies match the dialogue, and Blizzard decided that hit too close to home, and fired him.

Quack quack

40 Likes

Except, there’s literally no proof that he wrote those dialogues to take shots at his bosses.

They just assumed, that he did and claimed he violated their rules, which given that this dialogue is for Venture Co Goblins, makes the possibility highly unlikely.

11 Likes

People believe everything they read on the internet. Its worse than boomers and cable news.

14 Likes

he worked part of the Quests team he was an associate game designer , his manager(s) found out who wrote this code cause thats very easy to see who wrote what

thats why he was tracked down and terminated

You seem to be under the impression that I believe he didn’t write the dialogue.

Reread it again.

2 Likes

I wrote jokes lampooning generic corporate greed for a Venture Company loot goblin (very in character), but then leadership walked face first into the joke after string lock while my focus was getting the patch done.

you’re purposely ignoring this

1 Like

No, more like that isn’t proof he was crapping on his bosses.

6 Likes

Why would they care if some random jagoff on twitter was making up nonsense about why they were let go? Unless he wants to sue for wrongful termination or something, they’re not really under any obligation to come out and say “This is nonsense. Obviously.”

7 Likes

“in character”
…where are the yachts in game?
i honestly don’t recall any.
i do however, know that there is a very common Kotick/yacht meme.

/bites the hand that feeds.
hand bites back.
/shocked pikachu face

11 Likes