Emissary rewards are a bit much

No, he’s saying he thinks we should have to actually work for our gear and not collect welfare around every corner. It doesn’t take a genius to understand the OP.

13 Likes

Don’t be obtuse. You can have catch up mechanics without invalidating current raid/m+/pvp content.

12 Likes

If you play for gear, WoW isn’t for you. WoW has been a game of gear phase (“tiers”, “patches”, etc.) for some time. The reason to grind gear is to complete current content and get a jump on the next. That’s it.

If you don’t want to play the content when it’s current, then the gear chase is meaningless. If you want your DBM to say “Jaina down with 0 wipes at this difficulty”, then there’s no need to chase gear at the current content level. That gear will catch up and transcend what’s necessary in a few months.

Gear progression is designed to let the current crop of end game players overcome the content at the level that best suit that group and their play style.

My guild has JUST downed Jaina on normal. This week, we’re in Crucible. Odds are we won’t be back to BD (depends on how long we take in Crucible).

Obviously we’re no l33t raiders with our makeup. Which is fine with us.

It is important to the game that players are able to participate in the current level of content. It’s is a REWARD to players that stick with the game to be able to work through content, since that’s what the game is about – overcoming PvE content.

It’s no fun when it’s a cakewalk. At the same time, people who do not play from day one should not be locked out of current content by forcing their guilds to drag them through dead, farmed content. It’s no fun for anyone.

So, that’s why you chase gear – to clear the current content. If you don’t care about current content, then just wait and gear will show up – either next patch, or next expansion. Soon you’ll be able to walk over the content.

9 Likes

Exactly. It takes quite a while to gear up via WQs vs raids/M+. Like a lot longer actually. Its almost like raiders and M+ runners are rewarded high ilvl MUCH quicker in relation to the effort put in…

7 Likes

It doesn’t really “invalidate” BoD or M+, considering how often Gear and Azerite caches can come up.

You get vastly more high quality gear doing M+ and Heroic/Mythic raids (especially in a guild environment) than you would doing only World Quests, since open world gear rewards will still cap at 385, and the only sources of 395/400 gear are from caches, which maybe happen 1-3 times a week for each type.

I’m a Mythic raider, I’ve got the awesome gear, I really don’t care if people get better gear because at the end of the day skill is greater than gear, especially these days.

EDIT: Typo, mb.

12 Likes

The problem is the current gearing is boom or bust which is why Blizzard is forced to raise the ilevel of emissary rewards.

The reason why vendors and currency system worked previously in the game is that players were able to upgrade all their slots in a reasonable time frame while being able to pursue big drops by doing end game systems.

Current system is feast or famine where some players are 400+ easily while others are stuck in 385 range.

2 Likes

It’s really late into the raid tier so it’s more catch up mechanics to help people do the next step which is CoS.

2 Likes

How does other people getting gear invalidate your game experience? Did your gear get worse?

You know those items are going to be poorly optimized. It isn’t giving that person a io boost. It isn’t giving them boss kills. It is poorly optimized junk gear that, at worst, gives you more people to PuG with when you are bored.

It also might encourage people to hang around and level alts. Sure might make me level my druid or dk knowing I won’t have to slog through +2s to get to guild raid ilvl or worse ask to be carried by friends.

5 Likes

i think you meant skill > gear

right? skill is greater than gear?

2 Likes

That seems pretty black and white, no? I mean isn’t possible for me as an individual to feel less motivated to participate in harder content when i can go knock out 4 WQs for the same reward?

1 Like

I really could care less about this. This allows me to gear my alts with minimal effort for 8.2

I will say this though. It seems as if blizzard is putting more effort into convincing the masses to return to the game via catchups rather than reward the players who never quit the game in the first place.

feelsbadman.

2 Likes

This happened at the tail end of Legion and it was a sign of a turning tide with game direction.

1 Like

I am coming from a guild leadership position. It is really naïve to think that players will stick around when they reach their gear goals or other sorts. The lack of players that are remaining has made recruitment a problem. Yes I do have a core social network of about 11 people that all come together to do something but the will to farm raids has not been there this expansion unlike all other expansions. Now I am getting the response from a conversation like this.

“We got AOTC for both raids I don’t feel there is value to doing it more than once.”
“Wouldn’t you like something from those final few bosses?”
“Nah, can just farm M+ for the equivalent version of that item.”
“What about just joining us for the fun of it?”
“Conclave is not a fun fight and on a night I don’t feel like talking all that much don’t feel like turning on mic for Meqa.”

3 Likes

Okay, well here’s what I’m saying. This is a catch up mechanic. If you put in the work for the gear congrats you got to have the best gear for weeks to months.

I kind of wonder if this is Blizzard acknowledging that people aren’t doing raids or M+.

2 Likes

Warforge/titanfroge isn’t enough incentive for people to do content IMO.

Blizzard misread player motivation in WoW.

1 Like

Except they will almost certainly release higher ilvl gear so that those that want to keep doing their harder content get motivation to.

Don’t worry how other people get their gear. Get your gear the way you want it. It doesn’t invalidate anything. Your not entitled because you do mythic etc. Everyone should be entitled to the same gear weather it be BG’s Arena, Emissary etc. It’s about how people want to get their gear not by how entitled you are because you do raids etc.

2 Likes

I think Blizzard is going to have to completely rethink how they handle progression. It is obvious that pure gear progression is both unsustainable and highly unbalanced. Blizzard should look into multi-xpac long alternate advancement trees and slow down on the gear scaling. At this rate we are going to need another squish next xpac and squishes are horrible to the feeling of progression.

4 Likes

395 WQ gear is great. Hear hear!

3 Likes