Elune Cutscene Anxiety Thread

I just told you. Tyrande being so powerful that Saurfang thinks Elune is the one messing with him. It’s a gigantic power fantasy moment for night elves.

4 Likes

Anxiety.

@Baalsamael, what in psychology / mythology / literature means the coming of the “age of mortals”?

I have an explanation for my concern, but I … I don’t know. I do not like? Am I afraid of him?

Please. Help.

1 Like

I want to loop back around to this because it’s the one thing that the Horde has demonstratably, quantifiably been screwed on compared to the Alliance, and is always ignored. Horde losses and Alliance crimes can be and are downplayed, but you can’t argue with math.

I keep hearing about how the Horde needs to lose Orgrimmar due to “balance” (wtf was UC then?), but no alliance players are lining up to throw their leaders and leading lore characters that they like into wood chippers to maintain this mythical balance that they want.

12 Likes

Nah, NEFPA are always willing to offer up Anduin or Genn. But you’ll never see Malfurion, Tyrande, or Maiev cast onto the funeral pyre.

1 Like

That’s why I specified the ones that they like.

I think if they truly want to “balance the scales” with some horrific alliance warcrimes, they should get the full post-Wrath horde treatment. With all the fun that that entails.

There’s definitely reasons for Alliance players to not like the story they’ve been given, and I’m not against things like the Alliance retaking Gilneas or whatnot, but my god, how many posts have come out of the night elf side basically claiming that they deserve to make a snuff film out of Orgrimmar?

If the loss of Teldrassil was really, truly, and honestly the mentally scarring and depressing episode that they claim it to be, then why the hell are they insistent on forcing that on other people?

14 Likes

Very Awful.

I know. It’s okay, this is my “masterpiece”.

Its fine. When it comes to fanfiction, for me at least, the cringier the better. Oh I could regale you over the countless Sylvanas x Anduin fanfics…

Blizzard themselves set up the parallels between the Light and the Abrahamic religions. In fact, the Light was God in Warcraft 2 (the church buildings have crosses and the unit quotes included Catholic phrases in Latin). This was downplayed in Warcraft 3 and retconned by increments in World of Warcraft; in fact, it’s possible that it could be retconned back and the Light ends up being retconned into the Big-G Creator God (hasn’t happened… but it could). In fact, the naaru are analogous to angels.

Blizzard also set up Elune as “Azeroth’s only true deity” in Warcraft 3 at the same time the Titans and Wild Gods were introduced plus the Light was already a thing.

Several polytheistic religions in fantasy and real-life say everything, including other gods, originated from an all-powerful Creator God (Brahma in Hinduism, Ptah in Egyptian Mythology, Nyame in traditional West African religions).

Mortal races aren’t all knowing, all powerful and all good, and certainly didn’t make themselves. Even if the higher powers of the Warcraft setting aren’t flawless and deserving of unquestioning obedience, cutting them out is a stupid idea. Blood of the Highborne is the writers using in-universe excuses to justify questionable writing.

If you think blaming God for our sins or sitting on our hands while waiting for Him to fix everything is how religious people and theists/deists go about life, it shows how little you understand of real-life religion or belief in God.

Or stop the Lightforged from using Vindicaar drop pods in Drustvar during any Horde Assaults in the zone.

1 Like

The information is incomplete, sure. But there are quests indicating that Elune is perfectly happy with killing the way to a certain goal, with sacrifices. There’s even a comment from one of NPCs that “in her light all truths are revealed”.

Sure, it’s possible to claim those sometimes direct interaction of the player character with her are just a PoV, but how does it fit the older stories?

Gl hf

Whatever it is it will be humiliating and infuriating (Elune, an immortal being of unfathomable wisdom presumably, is now a complete idiot, for example, that just makes a HUGE mistake- which doesn’t even make sense itself in any way) for Kaldorei fans and good for Sylvanas and the Horde. I’m getting off this train (again), soon. It’s gone off the tracks long enough.

1 Like

No, they didn´t. The “closest” thing we could perceive as such was the whole “crusader Bridenbrad” stuff, but then again, that one was basically an irl memento quest (ergo, obviously they were gonna put into western religious connotations to honor a western person, duh). The rest of the time? Absolutely nothing at all.

I mean dude, if we take what you say at face value then are we pretending the Abrahamic based “Holy Light” was SO benevolent as to let Uther (basically one of the “chosen prophets” of said religion) get tortured and send to Hell for the lols? Really?

No, WE players decided to interpret stuff in the incorrect way. No one at Blizzard ever said the Holy Light was some proxy for irl christianism / judaism / islam, WE assumed so when we saw “warriors using holy themes” and made that connection with irl crusaders (this my man is a common behaviour in human beings… reason why people sees a weird light in the night sky and scream UFO all the time. We irl humans have a perchant to see stuff that´s NOT really there, and to fabricate nonexistant connections between stuff that looks similar to other stuff).

Sorry, but last time I saw the angelic description in both the Bible AND the Tanakh are waaay different to the overrated chandeliers in WoW (the “angels” in judaism are made of FIRE, not Light, for starters.

With the exception, they did. Just like us humans have brought us to the place we are currently, the races of Azeroth literally raised up from the ground NOT thanks to Titans nor the Light nor Elune truly and remarkably carrying them by the hand. They traveled from other worlds thanks to their own actions (heck, the most “influential” God esque entity was probably Sargeras, and he limited to sweet talk people that already had the knowledge and the means to achieve what he needed); Elune didn´t magically caused the Great Sundering to stop Sargeras summoning, Malfurion did.

Oh no, I´m perfectly aware in how we nowadays practice our faith and the vision we have for God. But the characters in WoW´s narrative? The very forum posters compaining cause Elune didn´t summon herself to smother Sylvanas? I think they are the ones with NO actual clue (ergo, the devs building Siira the way they built her.)

I know, ergo why I said it was OUR fault as readers to put a label into Elune that was never truly established by the creators of the story. We did. So the burden of the “dissapointment” is NOT on Blizz this time, it´s in out own shoulders.

2 Likes

Yes they did, as I previously explained and you’ve chosen to ignore as your parsing looks like cherry-picking. We might be able to add Crusader Bridenbrad to the examples I cited. I can give more examples. Fire is a combination of heat and light, and the naaru are agents and messengers of a higher power (and them going Void is reminiscent of Fallen Angels - plus angels have numerous forms besides “fire and light” or “winged human”).

When and how was Uther “tortured and sent to Hell for lols”?

You’re confusing “the races didn’t bring themselves into existence” with “self-made”. The mortal races of Azeroth either came about through either naturalist evolution, intelligent design or were uplifted native lifeforms. For example;

• Warcraft Humans are now devolved versions of Vry’kul, who were Titan constructs made fleshy by the Old Gods. Same with Dwarfs and Gnomes. As for technological development, most of what they know came form the Titans. In fact, on Azeroth guns were invented by the Titan Keeper Mimiron - the first one is the Hunter Artefact Weapon “Titanstrike”.
  • Elves are trolls uplifted by Elune and who drew on the Well of Eternity.
  • Orcs are Titan Creations devolved by Botani Spores of Life.

My complaint there isn’t that Elune didn’t personally kill Sylvanas, my complaint is that Elune empowered Tyrande to strike back against her attackers… only to pull back when she literally had Sylvanas by the throat. But that’s a problem with the writers of the story more than the characters in it.

Because they want justice for what the Horde and its players did in BFA.
Its very simple to understand.

1 Like

Small, surely you don’t mean killing innocent Horde citizens, genocide, losing a few faction leaders etc etc right?

I just think you need to clarify that part, since Waygs said they insistent on forcing that on others.

1 Like

You make up what you want.
What these players and I as well want is for there to be Horde accountability for the actions the Horde have collectively taken multiple times now.

You are the one making that part. The words you have referenced cannot be found on my post. Good try though.

In short making Sylvanas the 1 person responsible is not enough.
Retaking half destroyed stuff that was already mine is not enough.
When its enough I will let you know.

5 Likes

Stories evolve, man. You can´t take the ARTISTIC features used in the 2nd RTS iteration of teh story and stay stuck with it, simple as that. Cause the very fact WC3 started to “retcon” those (as you admited) says it all about how “abrahamic inspired” were the Holy Light, Elune and the rest of the “God” cast.

As a matter of fact, fire is the rapid oxidation of material in an exothermic process called “combustion”. The RELEASE products resulting for the aforementioned combustion products are heat, light and other particles (irl combustion processes aren´t 100% efficient and usually several components are produced in the form of particles and gases). And you can´t have a “fire” in the normal sense (we aren´t talking here about nuclear reactions for example) if you lack one of the three key components: a fuel material, an oxidizer (usually oxygen) and the minimal temperature or “heat” to trigger the reaction.

So, nope. “Pure Light” entities with no correlation to actual heat nor particle nor much less combustion are “Fire” in a world in which actual “Fire” exist too and it´s unrelated to them.

And the Old Gods were too, and the demons were too and the Watchers were too and so on and so fort.

SO special and abrahamic, amrite? Is not like they´re merely a flavor of the same tier entities present for all the cosmical powers in WoW, no sir!!

Last time I saw in the actual religious texts, angels don´t get to magically go back to their “holy” state after falling from grace. Quite the opposite.

Not in the actual canon religious texts, in mysticism? sure.

Heck, some of those “forms” are suspiciously similar to the “God” forms of another religions present at the time like the Assyrian one.

When he got part of his soul absorbed by Satan´s magical sword and tortured in side it while his other soul portion felt it 24/7 even after reaching “brainwashing” heaven.

If that´s what you think is a fair afterlife for someone who would be basically a proxy for Moses, then I´m speechless.

And all these examples actually make them further away from Abrahamic religious connotations. Cause the abrahamic god after getting “disenchanted” with the humans for tyhem not following the cookie cutter mold he had for them, basically left them to their own devices and only intervened when bothered. He´s a “support” that grants spiritual strenght so the humans manage to fix their own screw ups by themselves, NOT a magical fix-it.

The titans and Elune and the Naaru and so on? Oh, they step in quite frequently (more similar to greek gods indeed) and in the same vein only do it to fulfill THEIR agenda, not motivated in saving their subjects.

Well, duh. Why should Elune put her “favorites” over her own sister´s wellbeing? That´s NOT how politetist Gods work, they 10 times out of 10 put their kind well above the mortals. Heck, they usually wanted to keep the mortals CONTAINED in their lesser subservient state.

1 Like

Whoa whoa whoa, I was just asking for clarity.

I agree with you; I’m in the same boat. I think it’ll reel in the “sweeping things under the rug” writing that we’ve received since Cata.

Honestly I just referenced Waygs post addressed to you, in which he says “If the loss of Teldrassil was really, truly, and honestly the mentally scarring and depressing episode that they claim it to be, then why the hell are they insistent on forcing that on other people?”

If you’re not “insistent on forcing that on other people” my apologies. I assumed you were with how he worded his post.

I’ve been preaching accountability for a very very very long time, I 100% agree with you if that is the case.

1 Like