Elf fans. Do you still want High Elves?

Like before Cata people would consider BOTH Gnomes/Trolls as homeless/squating on their neighbors kingdoms.

No it is not a “functional capital” for gameplay purposes but it is a capital in terms of lore.

Similarly, one of the current defining distinctions between the high and blood elves is the high elves do not have a home to return to/do not consider Silvermoon their home anymore.

Or D) having a home in warcraft refers to more then just a place. It refer to a common center of power/heritage that anyone from said race can live in.

That to this day the worgens/night elves and to a certain extent forsaken are homeless because they do not have their capitals back yet. Where as gnomes/trolls and even goblins, even though for gameplay purposes do not have a capital, have a capital lorewise in Echo Isles/upper Gnomeragan/Bildgewater Harbor.

Lastly:

The wondrous city of Darnassus lay nestled in the boughs of the Teldrassil, a massive World Tree. The elegant bridges, beautiful groves, and leaf-covered pathways that dot the city’s landscape served as testaments to the night elves’ reverence for nature. Sadly, the tree was attacked at the start of the Fourth War, leaving the kaldorei to seek a new home.

Even Blizzard considers that the night elves do not have a home even though they do have settlements they still control.

Where as:

The Darkspear tribe has worked tirelessly to fortify their home on Darkspear Isle. Covered in a network of huts and bridges, the jungle island just southeast of Durotar has become a symbol of the tribe’s glory.

So yeah a capital/home is more then just a place!

4 Likes

As far as I can tell the status of “capital” and “home” is incredibly arbitrary based on the way you are describing it; Like if the high elves just randomly declared Quel’danil their capital would that end it?

2 Likes

Why would they declare Quel’danil as their capital/their new home? Again, it doesn’t not function as some sort of rallying place for the remaining high elven people nor does it function as a truly permanent cultural center for them.

And yes the definition is abit arbitrary because “home” is a very arbitrary thing to define. And checking Blizzard’s website, I think the correct term should be “home city”.

Honestly, I am hoping Blizzard just pulls a Mechagon and say that some high elves escaped before Silvermoon was Scourged, founded a new city in some new as of yet unknown continent to us and boom, the remaining high elves/void elves end up immigrating there.

4 Likes

It’s the first one everyone talks about when they mention high elf settlements.

Neither is Echo Isles; as near as I can tell it’s basically where the horde made land fall after their stop over in the po dunk islands that the Dark spear were squatting on (and being persistently bullied by the merlocs) after getting driven out of stranglethorn by more dominant jungle troll tribes.

If anything, the echo isles have less cultural signifigance to the trolls who have been there for maybe 20 years?

I mean, Quel’danil is right there.

Also, if the devs were to do that it would give the high elves time to actually get some distinction and depth, perhaps even finding a Niche that doesn’t actually exist for them right now. If that were to happen I’d have to reconsider the merit of them as an allied race.

As of right now though: they’re only surpassed by Troggs in terms of blandness and unoriginality.

2 Likes

No.

Void Elves are insane due to the whispers and are constantly in a struggle not to break and succumb to the Void.

Their origin is Blood Elven too.

The real High Elves had nothing to do with the Void Elves creation.

3 Likes

You guys, touch grass and dance with fairies. Cuz this conversation is just between two people and their alt accounts now it seems.

They have high elves, they just play for the red team.

5 Likes

Is this directed at me?

They still use the Sunwell.

That would be where the Highvale are from.

I’d actually love to see the “High” elves do a thing where the Highvale set themselves up as a distinct faction focused on Nature magics and rangery ness with a light mix of the Light as a focus (But in the draenei formats crystals and stuff). Have em oddly at odds with the Silver Covenant for being too militant and genociding the Sunreavers.

Narratively I just think it’d be neat.

Plus I like the idea of the Three groups, SC, Highvale and Void Elves all kinda having to deal with being around one another.

To say nothing of all of their thoughts and feelings towards Silvermoon.

4 Likes

Not all use the Sunwell.

The Silver Covenant and Vereesa aren’t allowed near it. The Blood Elves had to go behind their leaders back to sneak Vereesa into their homeland so she could save it as Ranger-General. After she was done saving them, she was made to leave.

2 Likes

They are all using it constantly. It spans time and space… Alleria could feel it and its effects while with the Army of the Light.

All thalassians (There is some question on the Void Elves) are connected to it and felt the effects of its loss. Now that it is back none of them feel the pangs of mana addiction as they did without it.

9 Likes

For this to truly work, you’d need to clarify how the Highvale aren’t just kaldorei with a different model; the Kaldorei’s affinity for nature has been a core part of their identity for over 20 years afterall.

That having been said, it would be a step towards giving the Helves the sort of depth that would make them a viable option for a race.

1 Like

No, they aren’t. They literally have no access to it.

1 Like

I wouldn’t imagine they’d take center stage by any means. Nor would they replace anyone. It would just be a nod to the flavor of that faction if they continue to use those stories.

Even better if the Night Elves take notice though and come along to assist. Or have their own narrative tensions.

I feel that they do have that depth already. Though I do not expect them to be made their own AR at this point by any means.

I’m betting anything for them will be story based alone and more customization would be added to void elves to give the option to players (If that.)

I am also much more invested in the Void Elf story than I am in any of this so don’t get me confused as being gung ho here. I’d like it but I’m not “fighting” for it at this point.

You should go read up on the Sunwell and how it relates to the thalassian elves. You appear to be missing considerable context.

7 Likes

They actually have free access to it as long as they aren’t acting as hostile agents.

2 Likes

I disagree; I’ve tried for years to get people to articulate anything that distinguishes them and there is simply very little that would make them worthwhile as an addition to the faction when there are other’s that would have more depth from the get go.

I would also much rather see the Rendorei get developed; botched as their introduction might have been I still see much more potential and depth with them relative to the high elves.

3 Likes

Personally, I disagree. Yes, they’re an elite group of Draenei infused with light, but I don’t think they’re representative of the Draenei elite as a whole. Who are the Draenei elite? Velen, Ishanah, Yrel, and the Exarchs. LF Draenei are nothing more than a customization option for those that want to role play as a holy-looking character. They’re irrelevant to Draenei society and culture as a whole, merely being a group of seasoned holy-infused warriors.

Which is what the Tauren have been since the start of WoW and the establishment of Thunderbluff, so nothing new or unique.

The theme of transhumanism has been explored by many races already, albeit by magical means as opposed to mechanical. Orc’s fel taint, the curse of undeath, Worgan curse, curse of flesh, LF Draenei, Void Elves, etc. I view it as a slightly different take on an already tired concept in WoW. No hate on anyone that like mechagnomes, but the idea is less novel than you think.

My problem with this is that most races were either effectively isolationists or from another planet prior to the launch of WoW. That was the selling point of vanilla WoW; for the first time, a playable character gets to go explore the huge new world. With the exception of Night Elves and humans on the Eastern Kingdoms, most races lived their whole lives in one set region, oblivious to the state of the rest of the world. Nightborne are really only a few years behind everyone else. Sure, it’s the couple of years where all of WoW’s plot happens, but it’s not that extraordinary.

That’s an oddly specific “niche”. I would argue that’s just what they are, not that they’re filling some new idea or trope. We had some bulky races already- they were just short or furry.

That’s a reasonable opinion to have, and I understand why you personally want it to work this way. However, that is your opinion, and I don’t feel like it has been a major reason for adding the races that Blizzard has added lately. I think the “cool” factor and ease of creation have been the primary reasons for all the allied races’ existence.

This is where I disagree again, for several reasons. Firstly, lumping all elves together just because they have “elf” in the name is disingenuous. Night elves and Blood Elves are far more different than humans and dwarves are. All elves are trolls, yet we didn’t have anyone crying about “too many trolls” when they added the Zandalari, despite having 3 other troll groups in the game at that point.

Secondly, as I stated before, High Elves would fill new and unique niches.

I know I’ve already typed a LOT, and this is going to be a bit abstract, but bear with me.
The story and dynamic of elves is like a painting. Each group is like a fresh tube of paint.

You can paint a picture with just one color. Two is more interesting. Three is better yet.

We’re at the point where we have black, white, red, and blue. You CAN paint a really beautiful and moody painting with these colors. They mix and blend wonderfully, creating all manners of mood and emotion. Many people say this is enough, and we don’t need more colors, because we’re already oversaturated. We can blend from one end of the visible light spectrum (red) to nearly the other end (blue), AND we can blend the two for countless combinations of purples between the two. What more could you ask for? It’s one end to the other, and everything in between, plus the lights, darks, and grays that could alter them them further.

Yet many of us really want yellow. “We don’t need ANOTHER color! We need to focus on texture and brush size instead!”, the forums argue. Yellow by itself might not seem like that big of a deal, but by adding it, we gain so much more by the mixing and contrasting of the color. There’s infinite possibilities to be had merely from the addition of a tube of yellow paint. Orange, green, cyan, brown, beige, sage, peach, coral, olive, etc. cannot exist without yellow.

In essence, this is a lot like what you are arguing when you say you think every race needs to fill a unique niche; you think things should only be added if they are a new color. Yet, you go on to say that High Elves are not unique, and that their implementation won’t add anything new- whether in its pure form or mixed with others.

As High Elves are already in the game and interacting with other elves, you should be able to see some of the color they add. For some reason, there is a lot of resistance to adding High Elves. Some people are deliberately ignorant to the situation, due to malicious intent, while others seem to be colorblind.

Of course its also valid for you to simply not like yellow (along with the other colors it brings with it), but if this is the case, you should at least understand why others so desperately want it. It brings SO MUCH along with it- more than most people are aware of.

5 Likes

Using said color analogy this whole thing feels like Blizzard decided to give the Alliance a crimson color, when we wanted yellow and the Horde already had red and then said poster saying “crimson is so much more unique then yellow, you don’t need yellow”.

5 Likes

I fundamentally disagree since the only three things that seem to define them are

1. They’re elves.
  2. they like humans.
  3. a nebulous “purity” value.

Compare that to any of the other playable races and you can see how incredibly banal this is and how it doesn’t actually add anything to the alliance in terms of themes and idea’s beyond simply having more elves.

5 Likes

Sure, they would add something. They would add the whitest of white people’s desires: a “pure” physiognomy to match a “pure” morality. Blonde hair, blue eyes, noble birth, and a persecution complex.

4 Likes