Elf fans. Do you still want High Elves?

It’s really not irrational at all to be concerned that they’re recycling a race/rig for the third time and adding a 5th elf that is going to be pretty much a 1:1 version of a horde race because people are upset about a decision that was made 16 years ago.

4 Likes

I don’t advocate for another High Elf playable race. I’m just making a statement.

My stance will always be that the way Allied Races were introduced was flawed. It should have been the subrace system a majority of players had been asking for for years prior to Battle for Azeroth.

High Elves would have been given to Alliance. Both High Elves for Alliance and Blood Elves for Horde would then have an additional option prior to customization/class selection where you would specify the sub faction you’re wanting your character to fit into.

These sub factions would include Blood Elf, Void Elf, High Elf, San’layn, Felblood, etc.

5 Likes

it already is. the idea is to make them distinct by giving new idling poses, animations and hairstyles so they look different even in full gear, otherwise you’re stuck looking at the 1:1 version

3 Likes

Which again, there isn’t anything necessarily wrong with that.
I don’t think there should be forced distinction simply for the sake of distinction.

this sounds cool

well itd be interesting, make it feel legit, and solve some of the apprehension belf players have about identity. not saying the model itself has to be different but rather how it animates, how it idles.

I would say that can cause more issues, unless there are remedies.

What if you like Blood Elf animations but you’re playing as an Alliance high Elf?

A compromise would then come into play where people want like to have the option of selecting their animations. That way you could choose the “default Alliance High Elf” animations or modify them to being the “Default Horde High Elf” animations.

This of course loops things around to the beginning. You will again have people complain that someone can look identical to them.

Ultimately Blizzard would just need to put the boot down and explain that with the amount of customization options available (both character and armor), you can look unique enough to where you’re unlikely to ever run across someone with the same combination of things as you. Feeling like you’re not unique shouldn’t be an issue.

To expand so I’m not just focusing on High Elves and seem bias:

Everyone should be able to select their animations across the races.
Nothing stops a gnome from being able to dance like an orc, etc.

Given how things have gone to now I don’t think another belf rig elf race is going to be added. Realistically they’ll just continue to add such things to the Belf and Velf customization pools.

Folk asking for another race slot altogether probably won’t get anywhere…

Forced seems harsh.

Personally I always thought the Allied Races should have had different idle stances, emotes and dances along with the different sillies and flirts and such.

its odd to me that some do and some don’t.

2 Likes

are you referring to my comments?

How we got to this point is people like you and many others saying you love High Elves but won’t actually play them like play them full time like me and many others because they aren’t on blue team, it’s literally crazy to me that having a blue background and having to follow the boringness which is Alliance side is actually a selling point for all of you.

High Elves are on Blue Team (Void Elves) and Red Team (Blood Elves.

Lightspeed happens to be a Blue Team High Elf (Void Elf).

Boringness is also subjective, I find the Horde more boring than the Alliance.

4 Likes

Oh actually that was just meant to give the current BE/VE model a new idle stance; the way characters stand is behavioral, not biological, so to potentially give HE alliance idle stance to show how they have been influenced by human culture seemed like a good idea.

But then by giving VE the same aesthetics than BE the idea of aesthetic exclusivity is rather moot, not that I ever cared much for it.

It really is wild you seem unable to get that some people want to play as the High Elves that never left the alliance. It’s not something hard to understand. Like I get why one wouldn’t want to because BE are the continuation of highborne society, Modern HE are an offshoot of them heavily influenced by their time on the alliance.

But the inability to understand why we find High Elves in the alliance compelling for that reason, how the story of War2 influenced them to the point it created a schism, is just wild to me.

Like do you really think that Alliance High Elves and Blood Elves are the same? Their context is completely different to the point they chose different factions! To pretend it’s about “the blue background” when THAT is just the symptom of a far deeper ideological schism between them and the Blood Elves, not THAT is crazy IMO.

5 Likes

While this is true, I’d say that more people including devs find Alliance to be the more bland and boring side since more people want to and play Horde side so again if you people actually want everything that our High Elves have you should have to play Horde side like the rest of us.

I’ve always wanted the Void Elves and Blood Elves to have 1 distinction and that has been that the Void Elves should lay claim to the Void theme and the Blood Elves should lay claim to the Light theme. Everything else is fair game to be shared between both which is what has been slowly occurring.

I’m always a fan of both.

There’s some stories and characters that only work with blood elves, and then there’s a different set of angles you can take with voidy void elves… and then a whole different set of potential with a high elfy looking void elf.

And then the Dark Ranger customization, too.

Options are fun!

5 Likes

When we actually start getting something back, I might actually agree with you until then I don’t think so because it being one sided against Blood Elves, Blood Elf players and Horde players is like being in an abusive relationship to the point you get abused again and again and again.

The Chronicles were pretty clear about what would become the Sunwell being the primary cause, iirc. The curse of flesh can only affect things that weren’t already flesh.

Trolls don’t turn into desaturated trolls from it, nor night elves into high elves.

And yet they can’t stop centering the writing on them

2 Likes

The High Elves were given to the Horde in BC, I know you and everyone else want to pretend like that didn’t happen, wish it didn’t happen, etc. what Alliance got in Legion is a void corrupted version that’s actually void corrupted it’s why they sound weird, glow blue, bleed blue, have awful hair, etc. you can try and pretend like you got what Horde got somewhat due to the customizations but it’s never gonna be what we got because Blizzard chose not to give Alliance actual High Elves so deal with it.

Seriously Alliance is so boring and bland and the whole nonstop Human centric everything makes me gag and the fact Horde side always gets dragged into it makes it even worse.

2 Likes

But the Light theme isn’t unique to them (a political faction of high elves), nor is it even elven in origin. Just as humans learned the arcane from the elves, the animist-divine “Light” powers of elven priests came from the humans.

Why would Light magic solely belong to separatists from 18 years ago (the Blood Elves) when it predates them by some 4000 years?

Fel magic would be a possibility, as though it influenced many orcs, only a few members of the Shadow Council had any ability to wield it, whereas most Blood Elf users of Fel Magic could at least draw on and channel it deliberately.

• But, ofc, that chapter of the Sin’dorei already passed and then became an NPC-only enemy faction in tBC.
1 Like