Ele Sham perspective on Mental Dexterity rune -- NEEDS A QOL FIX

Starting Disclaimer

• I understand this is only datamining and the final runes are not figured out / known
  • There is insane degeneracy being discussed in terms of this rune, and hoping to end that before it even begins.

Mental Dexterity will give Int to AP and AP to SP with melee attacks. This is intended to be an enh rune. Here is the problem.

Ele Shamans will be going through QOL hell with this rune, with potential to be absurd DPS with enough degeneracy. There are so many wonky unintended consequences with this rune. Ideas from snapshotting full AP gear prior to the boss for the buff, then swapping entire set on boss pull, to not using much SP gear at all and meleeing trash and bosses. Either way this rune will require ele to be in melee range and meleeing bosses, not exactly the intention of a caster class.

Its chaos, its a mess, please fix this.

SUGGESTION

• Keep the Int to AP part, that helps enh roll on the mail int gear vs trying to snag the leather rogue/druid pieces.
  • Change the AP to SP part to be a part of the enh tree, and not be procced off a simple melee attack, but instead something enh related, such as when you have flurry procs active.
  • Update the ele rune “burn” to actually be good on ST, as it stands right now it is complete trash on ST, so zero incentive to use it. There is no difference between running Burn on ST and not running a rune at all.

If you change the AP to SP to only happen with flurry active that makes it a strictly Enh rune, and eliminates the need of Ele to even worry about this rune.

I understand that hurts hybrid specs a bit, but it needs to be something deep enough in the Enh tree to dissuade ele from degen-ing this rune.

As an ele, I want to sit back and sling my fire balls and lightning balls. Not worry about multiple sets of gear swapping in and out multiple times to increase my damage by magnitudes. Reminds me of early p2 before they fixes Sham Rage, what a complete nightmare.

3 Likes

I thought snapshotting was removed on classic servers?

Also, removing the gear the rune is on removes the buff as it does with shaman rage, but i guess you can leave the effected piece on getting around this.

Another way to look at it, at least this makes spellhancer a thing…

Snapshotting is 100% still live and effective on Classic servers. I know this because if you used Bloodfury + SR before swapping weapons you got insanely more mana back.

And yes you would still keep the MD rune on the gear swap… since the ele alternative is complete garbage on ST, it wouldnt be a concern. Putting FS on 3 enemies is a bit useless when fighting a ST boss.

That rune needs a huge buff too, but thats a story for a different thread.

Thats good to know snapshotting is still alive and well, it will change the way i play now lol

I can think of an easier solution:

Reduce the MD buff time from 60 seconds to 3 seconds.

Fair suggestion tbh

Ele would still probably find a way to melee in there. FS > Melee > Lava Burst.

Run some Str enchants and AP weapons.

FS > Melee > Swap > LvB.

Maybe a little more, mechanics and all. But i get what your saying. The buff uptime could disuade this behavior

Yeah it could be 5-7 seconds to allow for mechanics forcing melee out.

The idea is just to make it a net DPS loss for elemental to interrupt their casting to get one melee swing.
Instant LB Crit with SP Gear and 300SP from Twin RB MD sounds horrifying in PvP- and I’m not even fighting shamans.

As long as Ele is able to get any kind of SP by melee-ing that’s where they will be. Even if it were 3s it’d still be the meta to poke the enemy before LB. I think you’re right that you’d somehow have to make the AP>SP conversion deep enh.

1 Like

You can get a free auto in when you cast your shocks. A short buff duration will only force ele to play in melee range 100% of the time.

That being said, I don’t hate the idea of getting some benefit from the rune as Ele. The only alternative would be triple flameshock which does nothing on single bosses. Could alternatively make it so Flameshock hits 3 targets or 1 target for triple the duration? That could be fun.

Yeah so i mentioned that a couple comments down, but might need to add it to the main thread.

The ele Head rune is complete trash on ST. That needs serious adjustment. “FS is refreshed with lava burst” would be excellent.

And a 3-5 second buff uptime would let them get one cast in between hits, 2 if they’re very quick, and subtract that with any movement mechanics.

It’s removed for things like D/HoTs, at least when I tested it. You can still snapshot buffs, like with how Shamanistic Rage used to be snapshotted before it got changed.

1 Like

Lava burst refreshing FS would be really nice. Especially now that we have a use for ES in our rotation.

yep, exactly my thoughts :slight_smile:

This would be a problem for resto as well.

It’s just so weird that we complained and had SR changed for this exact reason, but now they put the same issue back into the game? Do these devs not remember what they did a month ago?

Yeah i agree, i really dont understand it.

My only prayer is that the datamining is way off, but that fear exists that it isnt… and we will have some seriously awful QOL playstyle for an entire phase.

10 second buff and have to only proc from stormstrike. Then make the burn rune do something for single target for ele or just let it be a dead rune slot in st either way its probably fine.

1 Like

Mental Dexterity was originally deep in the Enh tree making it a bad option for the other specs, right? I think that’d be the solution. Maybe tie it into stormstrike like the nature resist debuff.
It being available with no oportunity cost for Ele/resto I think is the main problem.

2 Likes