Dwarf and Troll are the best spriest races

Human shadow priest has feedback…best underrated spell in the history of WoW.

2 Likes

Night Elf priest gets starsharts. Nuff said

Dwarf was considered BiS for both, because of how strong fear ward’s utility was. Not saying the human spirit buff wasn’t good, it was. But, if a raid leader had to pick between a Dwarf and a Human they would 99% of the time choose the Dwarf.

The spirit buff isn’t even really that much of a buff tbh. Their rep trait is better imo (yes I realize it doesn’t actually help in fights)

That’s true, but my sense was that they were referring to traits that would directly aide in combat.

Yeah but i agree I would still rather have dwarf for pve personally. Just because you get fear ward which is really really useful even if there is already a dwarf there to fear ward the tank. Fear ward yourself or someone else and it way more beneficial than a little more spirit ever could be imo.

Not even mentioning dwarf is BiS for pvp across the board. Including undead/troll. I would say you could argue with trolls racials, but undeads wotf is their only crutch to lean on which is worse than fear ward imo.

1 Like

If shadowguard can proc blackout then I am voting troll.

DP is very overrated though. One mindblast and one heal costs 1/2 the mana and does more damage and healing.

The reason you would take undead over troll is for WOTF and Cannibalize to emergency heal you after you oom. I remember getting a clutch fear off in a bg and cannibalize a corpse right beside me to get 40% hp back before the enemy fear broke.

1 Like

Canabalize really isn’t that useful either in these scenarios also tbh. You are better off just first aiding yourself. Canabalize is more of a bm move than anything

There’s a lot of misinformation in this thread. It often sounds like theorycrafting by those who never played Vanilla. In real Vanilla the race/class/spec combo of Undead Shadow Priest was one of the very best pvp combos in the entire game.

Shadow resist, WotF, Cannabilize, Devouring Plague was a better package than the rest for PvP.

PvP Horde - Undead; PvP Alliance Dwarf

PvP Offense > Defense -> Undead

That proves it. Done.

4 Likes

You didn’t prove anything, and it seems you are either drawing your opinions from vanilla when a lot of people didn’t know better on how to deal with DP or you have actually never played it.

In vanilla I thought undeads were way above and beyond the best shadow priest because of DP as well, until I came back to it.

I realized that 80% of situations your DP is not going to stick on your target. Whether it be because they are a dwarf, they are or near a pally, they are or near a priest, they have an ability to remove it or deter the damage (ice block/shadow ward), and even if you do get it off you are either A: Oom from the DP or, B: you wasted your IF on it and you just gave up a really good chance to crit MB which would do more damage in the long run anyway.

DP is actually garbage tier damage anyway considering it is a 24 second dot. Fights rarely last 24 seconds in vanilla as it is and you are better off spending that mana on an actual heal on yourself/sheild or use it for multiple mindflays.

Pvp horde= troll pvp ally= dwarf

5 Likes

Then you’re clueless. Fear ward applies to something like 5 boss fights across all raids and maybe a couple of lower level dungeon fights and is completely negligible in effect if you have a competent warrior tank. Human spirit applies to every single fight ever giving you both more and larger (if heal specced and higher level) spell casts.

2 Likes

I’m not clueless, this is my preference lol. I would prefer to have that extra mechanic in my pocket and I also pvp mainly, but even if I did pve I would still do pvp.

The little itty bitty tinie tiny benifit you get from spirit in pve holds no light in the benefits the dwarfs racials give you throughout the whole game.

1 Like

Clearly you don’t grasp pvp yet. If DP makes the target DO SOMETHING to counter it, I win. That’s the essential nature of pvp.

Offense > Defense. Undead has the better racials for pvp. That’s why they were so successful in Vanilla.

Imagine being a horde player and zoning into wsg. The enemy team has 3 paladins, 3 warriors, 2 hunters, 2 rogues.

Would you rather be a troll or undead shadow priest?

4 Likes

Hahahahahaha what?? Ok random rogue who probably hasn’t even hit 1700 ever. DP actually hurts you if they react to it. It will either oom you, waste your major dps cd that is used to one shot people, and you miss out on shadow orbs that very very very frequently stun your target.

And this costs your opponent literally one gcd. Oh no! One gcd<a stun, an MS, a crit with MB

Not to mention DP is on a multiple minute CD. So you have one chance to use it on one player every 3 minutes then guess what it gets removed, it’s also 99.999/100 times the only disease effect on you so no dispell protection, but you probably don’t even know what dispel protection means.

I think you don’t understand pvp at ALL let alone vanilla pvp specifically

2 Likes

You’re theorycrafting, which doesn’t help you much in PvP. It’s like knowing the chemical composition of water when you’re in a boat in a storm.

I started in Dark Age of Camelot, to WoW, to Warhammer to Elder Scrolls Online exclusively pvp, and DAoC and ESO were much better pvp games.

I think theorycrafting can spread misinformation, which it does in this case. Undead Shadow Priests were among the best in Vanilla. People new to it should know that before rolling. I’m not an alt person and it would bother me to roll a poor choice.

1 Like

This isn’t theory crafting. This is fact. Most of your encounters in pvp at end level, you WILL have it dispelled and even if it isn’t, it can hurt you more than help you. It can actually get you killed by ooming yourself and it can hurt you by losing out on the IF crit. This is not theory crafting this is cold. Hard. Facts. You can’t ignore these downsides and claim them as just theory crafting. Shadow orbs does more damage in the long run anyway and has little mana cost and procs stuns. There is literally no comparison.

A: ooms you, less damage over 24 seconds, 3 minute Cooldown, is easily easily dispelable

B: little mana cost, more damage over 24 seconds, no Cooldown, procs stuns, and comes with another ability that is used as an MS

If you had a brain you could do the math on this fairly quickly to find the best one.

4 Likes

Maining a horde priest in classic, was originally going to go with undead, but now this thread is making me reconsider. Decisions, decisions…

1 Like

You should play what you want to play. I’m just BSing about BiS scenarios for shadow, specifically pvp. But if you are considering shadow horde priest you should for sure consider troll

2 Likes

Honestly, if this was 2004-05 then Undead without a doubt. The average player today would be considered a mythic raider back then in terms of average skill level.

I raided with using the arrow keys and clicking every single ability with a mouse that had the metal ball in the bottom trying to avoid dropping chip crumbs on my mouse pad.

Fast forward to today and common knowledge is on a much higher level.

In 2004 we wouldn’t be dispelling DP because we simply didn’t know any better. In 2018/19 we know better. It would be like dispelling pally wings. Why wouldn’t you counter an entire burst by one button mash?

Pvp will be much different now. I watched the duel tourney and I only saw one or two back pedalling hunters. In 2004, that was 100% reversed. Seeing a hunter run straight away from me pelting me with arcane shot, concussive, and serpent sting as I slowly died was a rarity.

TLDR: Troll will be better because we understand the game better.

5 Likes