Duel-Wield/2-Hand in Dragonflight

I noticed in wotlk that there are some rune wep enchants that have 2 version, one for 1h and one for 2h. I’m surprised they haven’t used unique runeforges as a way of balancing DW/2h

2 Likes

Same, unless they for some reason consider it to much work and effort just like everything else these days with Blizz. They rather take the lazy way out.

Problem with current Blizz is they seem to have a vision of what they want a spec to be, and anything that isn’t that vision gets the bare minimum effort.

They have so many possibilities with the talent trees, could stick the 2h and DW talents in the class tree.

Could make each side of the talent trees their own unique play styles. For example, Unholy could be either ghoul centric, with a permanent ghoul, or the other side could be disease centric without a permanent ghoul.

Could have one side of Frost DW centric, the other side 2h centric.

Could even possibly bring back things like Blood DPS, Gladiator Warrior, Ranged SV, so many opportunities, but Blizz continues to be very narrow minded.

Would some of these play styles be optimal, no. Would some players find them fun and play them anyways because they don’t care and just want to have fun, yes.

2 Likes

Because runeforges arent the only issue for DW vs 2h. Frost was designed for a DW playstyle. The developers even said as much in the “Exploring Azeroth: Death Knights” video. They specifically said Frost was “dual wieldy”. This is echoed from runeforges and Razorice having a frost damage boost applied to it and the talents created within the tree itself.

Unholy and Blood DW only really have 2 builds to speak of for DW and they are pretty bad. Blood Worms for Blood and Blood-Caked Blade for unholy.

DW Blood isnt good because Blood Worms dont proc enough, dont do enough damage, and seems like they cant proc on top of each other that DW blood is really bad. You lose out on too much damage.

Unholy on the other hand is a little different but its still a DPS loss. Blood Caked Blade for 2h makes up about 3% of your overall damage. With DW it makes up about 4%. But i lose about 200 dps with losing damage from other sources. ~17% just from going from 2h to DW with Unholy.

While you can do it, its a loss. While you can 2h frost, its a loss, while you can DW blood its a loss, while you can DW Unholy its a loss.

Thats not actually true. The vast majority of people would say “this needs a buff” if its behind. The people that wanted 2h frost back said they “just wanted to play it and they didnt care if it was 20% behind”. Those same people complained that it didnt do as much damage as DW and continue to do so.

They kind of have to be if people want balance.

Kelliste alt?

2 Likes

What? You sound like a jaded lover with how much you talk about them.

Frost is no longer a DW spec. So if there is something about it’s overall design that drastically favours DW over 2h, it needs to be redesigned.

Need to stop looking at the past to justify how it is now.

4 Likes

I always thought Frost is both a 2H and DW spec. Should be both and should always coexist.

I mean… Wishful thinking right?

:dracthyr_shrug:

6 Likes

Dont tell me not to do something when you yourself did it.

You could argue that it wasnt a DW spec back then because you could 2h as frost as well, but thats clearly not how it was designed and clearly not how its designed now.

So then the entire spec needs to be redesigned and the weapons be made stat sticks, because the opposite could be said as well. If something about its design favors 2h over DW then it needs to be redesigned as well. So there goes 2h Obliterate damage increase.

Just because you could use something doesnt mean a thing. Warriors could use a bow or a gun but it doesnt mean they were any type of ranger. I still dont understand this point of view.

There is only one way for them to truly coexist, and thats making them stat sticks which requires a spec wide redesign. Then whats the point of having the choice, you just use whatever is a higher ilvl, so might as well just remove all 1h strength dps weapons from the game because no one would be using them.

4 Likes

You know people can take that picture many different ways and many people took Saitama as a dumb person, not to mention he kind of is its just his limiter broke so it doesnt matter and he can brute force his way though issues.

You cant do that here, you need good arguments to back stuff up. If not then whats the point unless you are just looking for buddies instead of a better play experience.

I didn’t do what you did though. I wasn’t using previous iterations of the game to justify how the current system is so that it shouldn’t change to be balanced for all available builds. Cherry picking a few words out of context is a pretty low counter.

I wouldn’t say entirely redesigned. 2 things that create a divide between the two, on hit procs like km and two runeforges. The second runeforge is pretty easy to fix, re thinking how we get km procs or finding a way to close the gap between DW/2h procs in some other creative way.

Making weapons stat sticks isn’t necessary, but would also be a solution.

If 2h is severely out performing DW, or there are capstone talents that just don’t work anywhere near as well with DW, then yes there would need to be a redesign. That’s not the case atm though. 30% oblit bonus currently doesn’t meet that criteria because that is the tool being used to close the gap between less runeforges and less km procs. If they redesign those two elements then of course 2h should lose the 30% bonus.

3 Likes

subjective

Just because you say so, doesn’t mean that it is true.

6 Likes

You used the previous iterations of the game to try to justify a change to the current system.

This is a pipe dream. Through and through. Its never going to happen so trying to force it is a fools errand.

This is essentially

You would also have to either redesign DW functionality with Obliterate and Frost Strike, or change Icecap, Cold-Blooded Rage, Runic Attenuation as well so that nothing is based on auto attacks, and abilities only having a singular hit.

Making them stat sticks. Other game developers have already figured this stuff out. Either weapons are stat sticks and it doesnt matter what you use, or you can only use one type of weapon set, or that weapon does something completely different with different abilities. Rift, weapons are stat sticks and it doesnt matter what you use. GW2 each weapon has its own main abilities. Mesmer Greatsword is completely different than Sword/Sword. You can weapon swap though. Games like Tera and Black Desert limit the class to certain weapons.

People warned about this very thing in BFA, and then the rabbit hole was opened and now it will never be shut until the weapons are just stat sticks and at that point what was the purpose of it all? Basically to get rid of DW. Thats all this will result in. Seriously. If the goal is to make them the same whats the point in DW being a part of the DK kit at all? Why have 1h dps str weapons in the game?

The devs wanted DK’s to DW, it was frost, and no matter how much you say

The mechanics of the spec says otherwise or you wouldnt be suggesting anything because it would just be a spec that you can just choose whatever you want and not have any difference of outcome. The best and easiest way to do that is have them be stat sticks and thats just a long waste of time when they could have spent that time doing something more productive with the game.

Just completing the context. And this is to have absolute equality of outcome which is what people want and for this to happen you have to have them be the same thing.

Its pretty telling that people ignore the big part of that post in that all this will lead to removing DW because there would be no point to it anymore. The only things in the game that would really use 1h weapons for plate wearers is prot warrior and paladin. What a waste.

Settle down, Kelliste. The real dk players are talking here.

3 Likes

Seriously, shut up about Kelliste. You are a problem in these forums, seriously. The first thing you said to me was

Civil people are trying to have a conversation here, go to twitter with that cesspool talk.

Remove dual wield

8 Likes

Quit trolling.

Why is kelliste responding to you on their classic alt.

2 Likes

Dont know if it is actually Kelliste, but sure is very similar in terms of hostility and stubbornness. The fact its a classic toon is pretty suss.

2 Likes