Dual spec changes a lot

That is true for literally anything.

The only reason he gives for why they introduced dual-spec was so that players could “take part in more aspects of the game”.

Yes I am making what I feel are logical inferences for my view on why. There is no developer brain dump quote on why. But there are plenty of hints as to why in the timing and the development activity at the point. You can safely assume that they didn’t make the decision in a vacuum - that the other related game design decisions at the time fed into it.
In the absence of complete information we can make valid (though not necessarily correct - the premise could be poorly founded for example) inferred conclusions.

It’s somewhat misleading to claim that without an actual quote proving the devs motives that we have no basis to assume why certain features were developed when they were - we can infer it.

I think you can infer why they chose that time as a good time to do it even though dual spec had been hotly discussed well before that time.

I feel like I’ve fallen into a trap here. I’m generously defending a case I don’t actually need to defend. You need to defend why you think dual spec fits in TBC when it’s clear the developers at the time did not.

This is where your brain may start to hurt.

I literally craft potions and craft tailoring bracers, put them on the AH, and turn a profit to respec every week. Almost no effort/time required, all I do is set and forget.

All you need is a 100g a week. If you can’t pay for that how are you affording raid consumes?

i’m not sure how some people somehow NEED dual spec since they’re too “poor”, it’s like they’re not even trying.

1 Like

This is basically what his “argument” boils down to:

“Because the game changed overtime and because dual spec was a thing, it means we’ll never know if dual spec was the cause!”

It’s so intellectually dishonest.

The game evolves over time based on any number of factors.

Virtually. This is a video-game, after all, Neko-Chan.

1 Like

Well, I did literally put in effort using mouse and keyboard, even if it’s pixels, Kuma-sama.

Naruhodo…

You are correct, they didn’t make a decision in a vacuum. The changes were the result of people complaining that they couldn’t play the game because of respec costs.

The WOTLK changes were to ensure people could play the game.

2 Likes

So what do you propose? We petition to skip TBC and move straight WoTLK? “Fix” all of TBCs “design flaws”? Feature by feature? Why not do the whole thing? Put in the class redesigns and LFD system. Basically “bring the player not the class”? I’d prefer to wait for WoTLK thanks.

All expansions attempt to fix the weaknesses of the previous. If you want the most up to date version of that attempt you could play retail.

I would argue that a game redesign is out of scope for #somechanges. Keeping changes only that are faithful to the original implies maintaining the game design objectives of the original, even where later expansions may view them as flaws in the design.

All you need to do to get your wish is wait. We know it’s coming

Dual-spec advocates believe that dual-spec was added to the game to address major flaws which Blizzard recognized. They see dual-spec as equivalent to Tinnitus.

I’m not overly interested in arguing about Blizzard design philosophy. Nor am I interested
in what the majority wants. My only position is that the 50g respec cost sucks. All it does is make it harder if not impossible to play the game. As Ghostcrawler implies, it prevents people from enjoying the various aspects of the game, especially PvP(which is in a bad spot right now).

Maybe I don’t know what ought to be done, but I do know that the game would be a lot more fun if something was done. While dual-spec does solve some problems, it also creates some problems. Which is why I favor reducing respec costs.

Reduced respec costs have been the norm on every private server I ever played on, and I don’t recall anyone ever complaining about it. Even Nostalrius had reduced respec costs.

I found a link to your source:

It’s actually kind of interesting, because a lot of people seem to use the argument of a PVP and a PVE spec, but the examples given by GC seem to suggest that that wasn’t much of a consideration.

e.g.

You can tank the KT bugs just fine without a tank spec. Now there will be fights where you do need multiple true tanks, but dual-spec actually helps us there. Otherwise we are essentially asking guilds to clear the whole instance with 4 tanks or swap out some dps for tanks on those few fights. It would be nice if the person swapping in and out were the same person (via dual spec). I also predict there will be plenty of MTs who have tanking specs for both of their specs.

Dual-spec gives them a way to do better dps.

Mostly, though, dual-spec is a convenience factor. You can already run back to town and respec in the middle of a raid, and plenty of people did that already (and hated it).

We didn’t want it to allow players to not have to commit to talent builds though, which is why we limit you to 2 specs and not as many as you want.

Anyway, that’s obviously all from before dual spec was actually released. It’s an interesting glimpse into some of the intended design, and expectations.

1 Like

So what you’re saying, is more reason to redo the current content? Sounds good to me.

This is the line I found most interesting.

It clearly aligns the implementation intention behind dual spec with the “bring the player not the class” design focus of WoTLK. It’s the only statement I’ve come across clearly and explicitly linking it.

It further bolsters the position that WoTLK was designed as an answer to the design approach of TBC and it’s perceived flaws and that dual spec was conceived as fitting into that context.

While there’s no doubt it’s a fun and very popular feature it does break with the design ethos of TBC and fits firmly into the design ethos of WoTLK. It’s therefore out of place in a TBC classic edition imo.

1 Like

1 Like

Not if the version of dual-spec was what it was originally.

You had to talk to your trainer each time you wanted to swap specs, after paying the initial 1k gold and setting up each spec’s talents and action bars.

Prove that ANY player is respec’ing MID RAID IN TEIR 4! Right now, prove it. You can’t.

Most anti dual spec arguments fall into two categories. The first I’d the purist. This is nonsensical because of all the changes already but at least cab be consistent.

The second is Furt,rets, enhance the players that under zero circumstances want to be asked to heal or tank. This is the vast majority

Ya. no.

Good example is High King and most sweaty raids are only bringing one mage but you sure as hell aren’t going to leave that mage as Frost spec and not have it buffing the fire warlocks on Gruul so you have that mage teleport and 2 people go summon while you clear trash.

If you’ve ever done a speed clearing raid or raided with a more hardcore mindset guild you’d know they’re doing things like this constantly.

Just be glad it isn’t pre-nerf TBC and everyone is expected to have a max level warlock to put a soulstone on your main.

The majority of dailies are out yet unfortunately… and bots have decimated the marketplace for many resources on most higher population servers. The markets that bot’s aren’t able to exploit (such as sunfury signet/arcane tomes) are mass farmed by dime-a-dozen cockroach mages. “Farming” is futile at this point… ton’s of work with little to no payout.