Druid and paladin raid tanks

Why can’t paladins and druids raid tank?

Someone had once told me that it’s because those two classes don’t have a taunt, making warriors the only viable raid tank. Is this the only reason?

How do you think the tanking dynamic would change if druids and paladins actually got a taunt?

3 Likes

Because your friend has a closed mind and only listens to Method.

40 Likes

Is that actually true or just your opinion?

Its all like…just our opinions man…

13 Likes

Paladins and Druids have to work harder to tank, and some fights involving a taunt-swap are inaccessible, but there are plenty of fights where they can do just fine. People are talking “optimal” as if its the only possible way. It has no relevance or bearing on your average raid group.

3 Likes

in a 40 man raid why would you use the less optimal tank and make everyone job harder. but on single boss,s with no adds well geared druid can tank nearly as well as a warrior. pallys have real bad agro generation so they can off tank an add but you would not main tank them.

10 Likes

They can, and do. Just warriors are better. Warriors have full teir sets based around tanking with extra benefits specifically for it. Pallys have no set bonuses for it. They are all healing/ret. same as druids, they have no tanking set bonuses. Also druids can’t get enough +Def to make them immune to crushing blows.

This said both are viable, and even excel in other areas as tank spec. Such as AoE.

2 Likes

The main concern is about crushing blows and critical hits, which are very difficult mechanisms for Druids and Paladins to deal with.

Warriors have Shield Block and can prevent getting one shot. Long story short, regardless of their strengths or weaknesses, Paladins and Druids cannot prevent this and tend to be very unreliable in damage reduction.

27 Likes

Druids make great off tanks. Extra b-rez? Yes please. Not sure about pally.

Most like one main tank. For taunt swap, warrior is awesome.

But this ain’t your momma’s wow. So…

1 Like

Ok… I’m seeing so many conflicting things in this thread.

Bears with the manual crowd pummeler generate some of the highest threat in the game.

Paladins…well no one has tested paladin threat because everyone has written them off. But theoretically, paladins may generate high threat as well. I mean paladins generate their threat through holy damage, which has zero resistance in the entire game. So while warriors are losing damage to boss armor, the paladin isn’t. The paladin is getting full value out of their threat-generating damage.

I’m sure someone will make a paladin and gear them properly and test it out.

We will just have to wait and see what is and isn’t allowed in Classic in terms of numbers. Many youtube videos from content creators have spoken about “forbidden server” tactics. Some of these including that you don’t even need a shield for a warrior… you’re prime objective is just threat generation. So they tank with fury.

4 Likes

Threat isn’t the only thing. Important yes. But not being one shot is important too.

5 Likes

Threat is the most important thing because threat gates your DPS. Low threat means low DPS output.

6 Likes

Part of this story is that druid and paladin gear with defense is much harder to find, and warriors have defense talent baked right in. It is much harder to gear a paladin or druid to be crit proof than it is for a warrior.

2 Likes

Paladins can’t because of gear limitations, mana issues, and a lack of a taunt.

Druids technically can raid tank, but they’re just mana sponges, and are only really viable for fights where most of the boss damage is magical or likely to otherwise one shot a warrior.

Yes, VIABLE, not OPTIMAL.

Druids have a taunt. It’s called Growl.

No. Druids don’t have much gear with Defense, and they have practically zero avoidance. They’re pure HP and mitigation, which drains the hell out of a mana’s healer.

It would be very difficult for a healer to keep a druid tank alive on most fights, because they’d go oom with how much healing they have to spam on them.

A paladin has access to similar gear to a warrior, but they cannot hold aggro very long due to mana constraints and the lack of a taunt.

Yeah, who would listen to multi-world first guilds concerning the effectiveness of a class? That’s just silly. /s

21 Likes

True. But a one shot dead tank has no threat.

4 Likes

Druids are perfectly viable tanks in raids, paladins not so much. Though there are of course fights where a druid can manage, it’s much preferable to have a warrior. Warriors are still of course the best.

Druids are Raid tanks, and in some cases even better than warriors.

It is ideal for every raid to have at least 1 druid tank.

Paladins on the other hand, are pretty behind on raid tanking… no taunt… but they are great for dungeons!

5 Likes

Also near the end of Vanilla I believe tanks had to take off some of their gear because of rage generation. Their migration was too high. So they stopped being defense cap.

It has nothing really to do with taunts. That’s just an excuse.
Raid bosses in vanilla were generally taunt immune unless they had a tank swap mechanic. In the cases they needed a swap, paladins could actually do it with close attention to threat mods and using bubbles.
Druids have a taunt in vanilla so that’s not an issue for them.

The biggest issue druids and paladins face are crits/crushes. Paladins can reach uncrit/uncrush but it’s harder for them than warriors. Druids can potentially get uncrittable with a lot of gear but they can’t really get uncrushable.
Judging from private servers, getting uncrushable may not be a big deal but it remains to be seen.

Even with that issue, the raid bosses that a crit or crush would be a major issue usually have 1 or both turned off.
Druids make some of the best off tanks in vanilla wow. They have more stamina and armor than warriors so they’re better on magic fights and better on hard hitting mobs. They can out threat a warrior and in some cases can out dps one when trying to off tank. They’re great to have for those situations, especially if you’re raid dps is being limited by threat issues.
Paladins make some of the best trash tanks because of their ability to provide a lot of AoE threat. Druids can also put out a lot of AoE threat. I think we’ll see them be able to do much more than just that once raids become available and people can test out these things.

7 Likes

Oh. I didn’t know that they removed crushing blows. I guess i never did bwl, aq40, mc and saw that.

2 Likes