Drugs in the World of Warcraft

Yea, I just can’t.

2 Likes

It’s hypocrisy rules. We can do this, but you can’t because we said so. Which is a cop-out to say the least.

It’s like the whole puritanical BS with nudity on tv, but extreme violence and is fine. Being drunk and going on benders is fine, but smoking weed is gets your rating jacked up.

Personally I’ve never experienced the whole double standard with RPing drug use in game. I used to RP a belf that did bloodthistle regularly way back in the early days of WRA, never got so much as a scolding. But then I’m a nobody too… so maybe if you don’t make a big to-do about it, you’re less likely to get the “talkin’ to”.

<_<

Vanndrel unironically went hard on Bloodthistle for several years.

Also unlock Bloodthistle use for Void Elves! Angry Elf noises

1 Like

Wow it’s depressing looking through this thread and seeing all these people who don’t post here anymore.

6 Likes

Kerbi’s the real standout. Still Level 112, so hasn’t logged in since the Squish.

2 Likes

Wot mate!
Did someone say drugs?

It actually is kind of a peculiar question how a game can hold “ew, drugs are icky and bad and too gross for our sensitive precious baby players” as a viewpoint alongside with “sometimes, under the right circumstances, genocide can be a healing force” as a viewpoint.

I mean, I know how. But it’s weird that everyone just sort of accepts this new push for sanitization of WoW while leaving the more horrific implications untouched.

6 Likes

thats a lot of typing though

Poor people use drugs, ultra Rich people who own politicians and militaries use genocide so

To be clear rich people use drugs too only they have the money to also live in a socially acceptable mega mansion penthouse and get help to cover it up

5 Likes

Not counting alcohol which is ubiquitous, there are some hints to drug usage here and there. Rogues can pick pocket some snuff and other tobacco / smoking paraphernalia. There’s also a handful of herbs that (iirc) have mention of being addictive (Bloodthistle) and some that have rather interesting interactions when harvested (Nightmare Bloom, Dreaming Glory just off the top of my head).

Only other instances I can think of is mana its self being portrayed as physically addictive in Burning Crusade. Sadly that was never outright stated what it’s overall attributes are when you become addicted to consuming mana, just hinted at.

All that said, the only non-TOS-violating way I can think of to use drugs would either be getting soused or by packing your pickpocketed [Hickory Pipe] and having a puff of…idk, Peacebloom? Just tread carefully.

It’s a fine line with censorship laws in some of their regions, including Oceania funny enough. I’d rather play M+ WoW where the only mature thing was pipe and cigar xmog, tbh.

1 Like

Forsaken have to make super-high potency alcohol to even begin to feel tipsy.

Do you want to imagine what they’d have to do to get high? There’s a reason so many of their models don’t have noses anymore …

4 Likes

Edit: Fix’t!

4 Likes

Toes and fingers are the only drugs i need, and my collection still grows

Thank you for reminding me that Forsaken basically drink pure petrol just to get drunk.

1 Like

Dang this really was a blast through the past including this thread and the one linked at the top of this one. Some of the stuff discussed about Cannibal’s experiences really shines in a new light now, huh?

2 Likes

That’s not The Eagles in the picture or singing. It’s Kansas.

3 Likes

Fix’t!

Dust in the wind, mate?
Now that’s what I call drug abuse!

1 Like

What makes it worse is that some of the Forsaken-origin alcohol is, in lore, so toxic and/or high grade that it can double as a fuel source for combustion engines.

And now I’m reminded of Pholigoston, and am sad it never really got brought forwards into WoW.

1 Like