Drugs in the World of Warcraft

What are some examples of drugs in world of warcraft?
How are ways that you roleplay drug usage?
Whats your opinion of drug use in roleplay? (in this setting)
What are ways drugs can be synthesized while staying lore friendly? (alchemy/herbalism)

I canā€™t tell you or Iā€™ll get banned.

I canā€™t. Even though there is subtextual and even textual drug use in the Warcraft setting, roleplayers are held to a different standard.

Overzealous moderators have ruined the fun.

They canā€™t be, because we as players are not allowed to reference drugs in our roleplay.

As an alternative, I recommend Breaking Bad.

6 Likes

do you have a source on that rule?

1 Like

I imagine drugs come from the same methods as real life. Plants in the ground or synthesized via alchemy.

Reze has smoked a few joints, bought a few cigars, she even has a special helmet she wears so people canā€™t see sheā€™s blazed.

1 Like

Sorta. Buckle up, because this is some deep server lore.

The short of it is that even discussing it in roleplay falls under promoting real-world drug use, even when it clearly isnā€™t, and thatā€™s grounds for CMs to snark at you and treat you in bad faith.

You can read an old forum regularā€™s brush with it here, and his follow-up on the CS forums regarding it here.

If you find the logic dumb, Iā€™d encourage you to voice your objections, though.

5 Likes

Well according to this, thereā€™s no harm in referencing medicinal herbs that may have similar effects as a medicinal herb found in real life :slight_smile:

Itā€™s just peacebloom I swear, CM! :angel:

because the forums are dumb, iā€™ll hit some up
dwarves love smoking, itā€™s a thing, fras siabi is a dude in stratholme who used to sell tobacco and a dwarf in searing gorge really misses his stuff
blood elves did bloodthistle - itā€™s not a well-looked-upon drug and addicts and users are commonly known as ā€œthistleheadsā€
magically-inclined characters can also dabble in just absorbing magic from random sources - the withered are an extreme example of the sort of hunger and withdrawal you can see
in addition, fel magic is known to be very addictive

thereā€™s hundreds of references to common alcohol usage - both standard drinks and fancy fantastical ones - considering the blizzard devs love their brew

in a medicinal sense, you can get a LOT of information from following the herbalism and alchemy questlines introduced in legion and bfa, however the lore on anything beforehand tends to be spotty and not-at-all fleshed out. also look for any quest that has you gather plants - more often than not, theyā€™re used for medicinal purposes, one example being the poultice you make from herbs growing near vigil hill on bfa alliance side to heal flynt

7 Likes

The blessing of stuff having little lore is you can make up whenever you want.

Felweed? Fadeleaf? Blaze it.
Cinderbloom? Start seeing stuff.

2 Likes

Cannibal: You hold a grim destiny in your hands, brother.

1 Like

Everybody knows about Blood Elves and Nightborne with their addictions. Felweed and Arcwine are often brought up in RP. Alcohol is very well represented.
Tobacco- less so. Mostly in the form of hookahs found in Inns or Elven cities. Thereā€™s also caffeine in the various coffee brews you can drink. I do believe thereā€™s a Pandaren quest where you make use of the pain-relieving properties of poppy plants, but recreational consumption is not referenced.

Many people (myself included) also headcanon that various plants contain something similar to cannabinoids; Peacebloom and Fadeleaf being favorites, or just generic ā€˜herbsā€™. These are often associated with Darkspear because ā€œTeehee, Trolls=Jamaicans=Rastafari.ā€

I like to think that certain potions can be used in a similar vein as well. Dreamless Sleep Potion, for instance. A consumable that puts you into a state of dreamless sleep? Thatā€™s a mind altering substance if I ever heard one.

moving on

I have no problem with the use of mind altering substances in general. Some characters will use certain substances and not others for various social, cultural, and personal reasons and I think itā€™s just another aspect of the world that one can focus on as much or as little as they want.

Tam here is a marked departure from the other characters Iā€™ve done in that she has a long history of substance abuse and itā€™s a big part of her RP. She used it both as a means of being social and in an attempt escape unpleasant aspects of her life, but this quickly escalated to the point where she needed at least a baseline buzz in order to be functional and often used to the point of excess. Multi-day binges were a regular thing. Relationships were strained and many ended because of the poorly advised things she did while under the influence- only to forget or admit to refuse sheā€™d ever done them.

After a particularly bad episode, her employer and coworkers stepped in. They sent her off to Pandaria where she underwent an intensive ā€œtreatmentā€ process. That, along with some support from friends that are actually positive influences in her life have actually helped her mostly kick her regular use of ā€œharder drugsā€. She still struggles with alchohol, and still occasionally uses ā€œherbsā€ though.

Thereā€™s a reason why she wears a lot of make up and almost always wearing sunglasses while in public, though.

this is getting to be a long post

Iā€™ve been fortunate enough to not suffer any disciplinary action for RP or casual discussion so far. Neither has anyone else Iā€™ve played with in game. The post(s) referenced up above was really the first time I ever became aware it was an issue.

3 Likes

I almost forgot about that, bad moderators in general really are the worst on any platformā€¦

This weird false sense of power they tend to have just irritates me.

I can roleplay an arms dealer that regularly massacres Alliance sailors at sea, but if I reference an ingame drug, thatā€™s usage as a drug is explicitly described ingame, then Iā€™m somehow crossing some vague line.

6 Likes

Heck, thatā€™s not just WoW.

The USā€™ puritanical influences show through rather clearly when you look at how harshly they crack down on depictions of sexuality, alcohol consumption, and the like- while being full of wanton violence and destruction.

Tony Stark in the MCU canā€™t struggle with alcoholism like in the comics because the film has to be PG-13. But he can blow people up and shoot them, though!

You can have two characters who kill the same number of people. How do you show one is ā€œgoodā€ and give the other some edge/flaws? Have one of them avoid any kind of intoxicants or women (outside the designated love interest). Make the other enjoy drinking/smoking/whatever and casual encounters.

9 Likes

As mentioned, tobacco and similar herbs are plentifully referenced in the Warcraft universe. I had a human sniper who used a wooden pipe when he wanted to relax his nerves and breathing. Alcohol is also a readily present drug in the game, complete with tipsy/drunk/completely smashed notifications (as well as puking if you still drink after being smashed).

In reference to other drugs, its a matter of synthetic versus natural. Iā€™m not going to get into it here because Iā€™d rather not struck by an overzealous mod and I enjoy the antics the forums get up to. Suffice it to say that while WoWā€™s technology levels have never been accurately addressed, I would imagine that there are a multitude of options out there if one decided to explore them. Given the amazing amount of herbs and materials found every expansion and the sadsack world our characters live in, its not a huge stretch to believe that survivors of the multitude of conflicts in and around Azeroth would sometimes become addicted to any substance in order to escape their reality.

1 Like

I think the reason youā€™re seeing a lot of salt still is twofold.

1. It was far from the first time a moderator was abusive to a forumgoer. Itā€™s gotten worse and worse over the years and by this point quite a few people are pretty sick of it.

2. Beans was a pillar of this community, and one of the nicest people we had around. He was publicly scolded on the actual forums, by a moderator, who instead of deleting the thread, simply locked it. So Beans couldnā€™t do anything about it, and was basically put on glass and had it memorialized by a vindictive child. They were pointlessly rude and mean spirited towards him, when he was nothing but polite and patient about the issue.

So yeah, people have reason to be a bit angry still.

5 Likes

Anything that increases your magical prowess should be a drug.

Just look at Illidan, he now has hooves, horns, and fangs! The obvious sign of a fel user! Remember, not to do Fel, especially Felweed!

And lastly Just look at the average void elf and Kā€™thir! They have tentacles coming out of their face. The obvious sign of a void abuser!

Say no to dangerous magical drugs!

2 Likes

do you (OP) roleplay the actual trafficking associated with the gray market? Including the ā€œtaxingā€, ā€œsecurity servicesā€, and other unsavory business practices? Or do you just drink the spiked kool-aid & ignore the quality control, social effects, etc. ?

Shimmerweed!

1 Like

This assumes the drugs in question are illicit.

Is Orlyia still around or what?

1 Like

I remember in The Last Guardian arcane was literally a gateway drug to fel magic. Heck, it was even part of the class quests we used to have for mages.