Dreamhaven

“everyone who disagrees with me is a troll”

4 Likes

Speak for yourself. I have always been in the boat of rather having them take and extra year+ to make a game than it come out and be clearly unfinished or rushed. Games should be released when they are ready, not any sooner.

Alas this mindset is a thing of the past though, people want to consume and they want to do it yesterday. So devs will release early in a time where they can guarantee more sales than usual, or spend more money on predatory marketing than on the actual game.

3 Likes

Not even close.

I’ve debated with multiple people who have disagreed with me, in this thread even, without calling them trolls. Because most people aren’t, including most who disagree with me. But if you come at me with one liners and insults, yes, you are a troll and I will block you.

As long as people are still willing to wait for Bethesda to release TES6, I refuse to believe everyone is a slave to instant gratification.

Yes but TES6 will undoubtedly release in a buggy and unfinished state. Bethesda fans just know that no matter how much time it takes the game WILL release like that. So why worry in the long run?

This is doubtful.

1 Like

I think people need to go back and read what Dreamhaven is.

They are there to help out indies acting as a Publisher. Those guys made bank with Blizzard, they going to invest and share experience and make royalties. What they built with Blizzard is Amazing but going public stock was both good and bad for them.

They all got loaded, made amazing money. If you look their twitter and try to dig personal life you’ll see they all have big houses and live an awesome life.

Being publisher is literally free money for minimal effort, so the best you can hope for is to see that old school SOON tn that Blizzard Entertainment used to deliver us.

1 Like

See I think this is the real reason people are constantly unhappy with games now. The constant pessimism. Even if TES6 was gonna be buggy and unfinished, I’d still play it.

Why is it doubtful?
I know a lot of people who would rather work behind the scenes on a project and leave it to someone else to be the face of the team.

What if TES6 was just you… trapped in a room… until the first major patch that fixed the stuck in room bug?

People don’t work hard enough to ‘bust a gut’ now, especially making a game. Like how would you do that - you would have to spend more time lifting desks than typing on a keyboard.

I just can’t with you today…

Maybe? I’d be interested to see what they come up with. I like those guys and I respect the work they have done over the years. Yet at the same time, and I say this because of your capital letters at the end; if you are hoping they create a Next-Gen. MMORPG that will destroy WoW and teach Blizzard a lesson in humility, I think you and many others will be waiting quite a long time.

It’s not a knock on Kaplan, it’s just a common sense observation.

I don’t mind more waiting after waiting for years. My expectation is for it to be ready and finished and unbugged by the time I’m retired. I’m 26. Bethesda has time.

Right, but they waste a lot of time with inefficient dev cycles and just straight up elitism. They use it as an excuse mostly and forumgoers eat it right up… Then the game comes out and it’s “garbage” to most players and then they spend the next handful of years fixing it. SC2, D3, WC3 remaster, almost every WoW expansion, and so on.

The other issue is funding. When you group up a bunch of retiree has-beens, that have been overpaid for years, they go into another project expecting the same level of pay or greater. So basically, you end up with a smaller team of devs, being massively overpaid and that have an inflated sense of skill at their jobs. Yes, they were great at their times with certain key titles, at that time, but it doesn’t mean their dreams/styles/ambitions/etc are timeless.

Oh and let’s not forget the “too many chefs in the kitchen” issue that happens as well where you get too many large egos butting heads working on something together.

Picture an old 80s style zombie movie coming out today, having the same plots and camera work and styles and so on. Even with modern effects, filming, etc, 95% chance it would be a flop unless it was a meme thing like sharknado. Why? Because the people’s demand was different back then and their bar of expectations were different. This applies to gamers today and their wants/needs/desires/expectations of games released today.

Games are far to expensive to develop these days, to NOT aim them at as large of an audience as possible. Simple math: Core team of 20 people all paid an average of 75k per year and you’re already at 1.5mil USD before taxes. Multiply that by five years and you’re now at 7.5mil. That’s not counting software, hardware, testers, marketing, royalties, etc. Realistically, you’re going to be at the 20mil mark. This means you need to sell a minimum of 333k copies at 60$ a piece, to recoupe the costs. Realistically, you’d need to sell 500k copies to even call it a mild success.

1 Like

My daughter is your age…

Oh no don’t get me wrong, I’ll still likely play the hell out of it. I was just saying that from my personal experience with other Bethesda fans, we all know the game is going to be a mess on launch filled with bugs just like every other Elder Scrolls and Fallout game.

While I would personally prefer them to take extra time to make it more polished, their track record does not exactly inspire confidence that they will. I’ve been more or less fine with the Bethesda games and their “broken” states since they are still somewhat enjoyable even with the issues (sometimes the issues make it more fun as well). But then you have games like cyberpunk which is very obvious that it was released too early and had game destroying bugs.

At the end of the day, fun takes precedence, Bethesda knows how to make an enjoyable game for the most part. A well polished or presented game? Not really, but fun nonetheless.

Then why did you start. I quoted what I responded to and you just totally ignored it.

I would guess anyone who uses that analogy probably doesn’t even know what that means and probably doesn’t do or hasn’t done physical work of the nature that that would result.

True, but by the time they release the Skyrim2 Legendary Epic Anniversary Collector’s Edition it should be polished enough.

And?

Isn’t it nice we can have wow forums for inter-generational discourse