Dragonriding Is A Terrible Idea

Because adding back flying in its current state ruins the expansion defining feature that is dragonriding. If people need to use a flying mount they can do so slowly at 150% speed.

This is a dragon riding expansion and it’s not right to abandon it

How so? If dragon riding is as wonderful and revolutionary as you and others claim, more people will choose it over flying, right? So where’s the problem?

3 Likes

I’m open to increasing it to 310% towards the tail end of the expansion. People should feel inclined to use dragon riding this expansion. If regular flying comes back at 310% a lot of people will stop using dragonriding altogether because it won’t be as useful

I suspect by the time Blizzard activates old school flying many of the players who want it right now, will have learned how to dragonride and will not really use it old school flight as much as they thought they would.

I really expect that old school flying will be activated around the time it has been done since WoD, half way through an xpac. Around the one year mark.

I was skeptical at first, but after farming all the dragon coins and watching a quick Dalaran Gaming video on dragon flying basics, I prefer this new flying system better. And this is coming from someone who absolutely hates change!

1 Like

My problem with it is the stuttering with it. Game has been stuttering since the prepatch and makes it jarring, especially if you’re doing the advanced races where precision is needed.

There’s many threads about it int he tech forums this is the main one though.

1 Like

That’s the thing, I’ll never go old flying again if I have the option not to. So I’m not threatened by OG flying.

There are a few bad actors claiming that dragonriding shouldn’t continue next expansion or should be removed- but those are legit people who obviously haven’t bothered to engage with the system and have been saying it’s terrible since before beta.

So, you believe that flying is more useful than dragon riding, thus more people will choose it if implemented. But that triggers you because you think everyone should just do what you think is best.

1 Like

This right here is the biggest argument against only having DR imo. That is is entirely contrived by Ion to not give us regular flying at the start. If it could stand on it’s own they wouldn’t have to force the playerbase to accept it. I have said before, people who play MMOs take the path of least friction, always. The path of least friction is regular flying with its afk pathing, instant turning and altitude change, hover, no cooldown, and pinpoint accuracy.

I guarantee if they gave us regular flying in DR zone next week that most people would abandon DR and show that remaking flying was a colossal waste of resources. Which is precisely why they wont do it. Ion has invested too much of his ego in killing regular flying.

EDIT - clarify my point.

5 Likes

It’s clear you have been paying attention :+1:

1 Like

Honestly, I don’t understand why everything has to be ‘my way or the highway’.

Just make it so people can Dragonride or Regular Fly at similar speeds. What’s the big deal?

2 Likes

And this is why I rather them not to add it back until the last half of the xpac. To force the lazy player to learn to play the xpac the way it is designed to be played in the 1st place. Because once the 1st half data is collect the choices are already made for the next xpac pretty much in what will be carried forward in the future.

1 Like

Everyone has their own small circles, but this argument is wild to me. dragonriding is faster and easier. It’s a common sentiment in my guild chat that they would rather dragon ride and wish it would come to old zones.

Most people will NOT suddenly stop using the faster way to get around. Just like most people didn’t suddenly start loving dragon riding and saying that normal flying should go.

It’s an almost even split. Actually going by forum like to dislike ratio- it looks to be about a 2/3 split with dragonriding being the more popular option.

both is fine.

Me neither. I keep asking people why they’re so concerned with controlling how others enjoy the game, but they never give an answer; they merely ignore the question and repeat their talking points ad nauseam.

1 Like

Both is better than fine, both is ideal. I am telling you why they wont do it. They had regular flying for 15y, only a small minority of wPvPers and Millenials with there need for a dopamine hit every 15 seconds complained. So then they invested a huge amount of resources in making Nu Flying because Ion hates regular flying. So if they were to give us regular flying and a large portion of people stopped using DR then Ion would have to explain to the C-suites why he wasted a huge amount of resources fixing something that wasn’t broken. His ego will no allow it.

2 Likes

Exactly what I have been saying. Adding back regular flying would kill an expansion defining feature.

Not sure if you’re confused or trolling, but I again beg some questions: If dragon riding is so superior to original flying, why are you and others of your mindset so threatened by the eventual implementation of the latter? Why are you obsessed with controlling how others play the game? How does someone else’s game experience impact you in any way? Why are you so vehemently against player choice?

4 Likes

TBC had flight at launch (level 70). Pandaland didn’t until max level. So players had to level up again without flight.

The world itself needs to be made with flight in mind. It can’t be an ad hoc thing done afterward. This is why it was so oddball the past four-six years. They even stated in the past some zones wouldn’t work with flying at all because they were made to be much smaller than usual. So it was gated temporarily or permanently on a case by case basis.

I think it’s a clear victory for pro-flight players that Dragonflight is amping up to be a good expansion in the vein of TBC. Little coincidence there. Flight is obviously very popular and makes for better designed expansions.

Read what I said

I did, I even replied to it:

How so? If dragon riding is as wonderful and revolutionary as you and others claim, more people will choose it over flying, right? So where’s the problem?

And here is the follow-up:

You have admitted the reason you want flying nerfed so badly is because you believe more players will choose to fly than dragon ride, and that bothers you for a reason you refuse to explain. Done going around in circles with you, you’re a brick wall.

4 Likes