Dragonflight will be the last expansion

I’ve heard this refrain multiple times before.

3 Likes

Nope.

There will be more expansions.

Once you fully understand how deeply a given player can be attached to this game, and get past your revulsion reaction, you might give weight to the idea that there are enough of them to take this game many many years into the future, with many more total garbage expansions to take their money.

You may be right in one way: I think this is the last time Blizzard is going to try and appeal to non-whale players. In my opinion, their attempt will fail. The player base no longer understands itself.

When this expansion is only a financial success with the box-sale bump, Blizzard may finally realize it is truly fruitless to understand the whole player base.

At that point they will simply give those who remain more of what they want. This has been happening to a degree for at least the last three expansions. When it is known there is no point in creating for the general player the velocity of moving WoW into a niche MMO will only increase.

We could debate a whole forum’s worth on the reasons why Blizzard can’t or won’t code appeal to the masses again. IMO it’s simply cost, ymmv.

Someone somewhere in that company is going to just say “Aw EFF it! We can make N dollars per month and have an easier time designing and coding to that less diverse segment, or we can keep beating our faces on the brick wall for 2N dollars per month.”

“Hey boss if we go the N dollars per month route, we can get rid of half our staff.”

“Sold.”

This game is The Walking Dead of video games. It should be cancelled, but it’s own inertia (and that of the community) keep it going.

No it won’t.

1 Like

Definitely not. They’ll keep using the same formula for the story and changing the gameplay, and/or bringing back old things whenever they need to and keep milking it as long as they can.

I mean, OP is being wildly extreme, but there’s no reason to match that weird energy with things like “there’s tonnes of content” and “people said this about wotlk” :joy:

There’s nothing special about the next xpac unless you’re into playing an androgynous skink, the race nobody asked for. DF is going to be another stinker.

Man GD is full of prophets today.

You got the lotto numbers, chief?

3 Likes

The end has been nigh since TBC. Good to see someone is keeping up the tradition.

3 Likes

“_________________ will be the last expansion!”

Been hearing this for fifteen years. :yawning_face:

“But this time ___________…”

Yes. We know. This time is different. :wink:

6 Likes

At no time in the last 17 years, have I ever seen Blizzard release full expansion notes, features, concepts, art design, raid encounters, class tuning, major and minor patch notes for the entire expansion, daily quest hubs, weekly quest locations, all rare boss spawns, all treasure chest locations, all pets and mounts and collectibles you can obtain, and/or all the gear and items you can get by playing PvP, PvP locations and objectives both instances, arena, and world, and any additional systems…

A year and a half before the expansion is released, and even before it hits the alpha phase.

We barely learned the name of it the other day. Stop crying wolf. Jesus.

2 Likes

BFA already felt like the last expansion to me.

Wow has a LOT of years left

Whether they are good or bad years remains to be seen

But even at its worst it is doing as well as pretty much any other mmo, if not better

We haven’t even hit the f2p phase yet

Has wow fallen extremely far from its lofty peaks? Yes, but still nowhere close to dead. Be real.

Sides Microsoft will likely invest some additional money in wows future, similar to Minecraft. We’re all just waiting to see how much monetization is added and whether it is cosmetic instead of power related cash shop gold.

Two things… We only really dipped our toes into the expansion reveals, so who knows what’s still coming.

Also, what lack of content? It’s still slated to have raids, quests, mounts to collect, dungeons, etc, but it’s ALSO going to have a neat new flying system with customisable mounts, a better crafting system, and a better talent tree, etc. Grinding out a new AP generator every expansion for skill that we lost when the previous AP generator was destroyed just so that our class can get to feeling like normal again is not content. It’s frustrating tedium.

Don’t get me wrong, Blizz can still screw up it, but the move from flavour of the expansion/patch systems to more everygreen type things is a good thing. Devs might actually be able to add MORE content when they’re not constantly balancing and creating systems that will only ever last a patch or an expansion, and they can actually focus their time into just making the base game fun.

WoW2 would be dope.

said no one ever

And 9/24 the world is ending, and Philadelphia Eagles will win another Super Bowl in the next 5 years, and I’ll win a lottery worth at least 100,000,000 dollars in the next year…and and…and…

Stop with the sooth saying made up BS… The game will end when it ends – if DF is the last its the last…life moves on…its a video game.

You really felt the need to necro this thread and be wrong at the same time?

2 Likes

wow got along time ahead of it some how some way they will tie in a story that leads into the next expac. people will always come back and play tell they are tired of the grind.

Dont you mean tbc classic? :rofl::rofl:

Stop necroing threads Jesus christ

5 Likes

Thanks, This time will die!