Dragonflight Preview: More on Professions

well if they did that then that would make since due to the alc and inscription need herbs.
its like the first aid went with tailoring.

we might see some professions combining together
example Blacksmith and engineering
or engineering with jc the limit is how they want it to be

2 Likes

Yeah nothing like having to spend a ton of extra travel time to do stuff you could in the field now.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s nice Blizzy

Now, CAN WE GET SOME JC LUV NEXT EXPANSION :rage:

Thanks

1 Like

I wonder how fishing pole effects will be affected by the profession gear changes. What happens to the water breathing on the Kaluā€™ak, or the water walking and shapeshift on the Underlight Angler, etc, if the poles only get equipped when using them?

2 Likes

Iā€™m liking most of these QoL changes, especially the dedicated extra reagent bag (no more taking up regular bag space when Iā€™m farming ore) and the increase in stack amounts is nice too.

The main problem I have, and Iā€™m unsure if anyone else brought it up, is having to visit a crafting station to create items. While I enjoy the added immersion into the game with the stations, there are points in time when I need to craft an item on the spot. If Iā€™m halfway through a 3 hour raid and an item drops with a socket Iā€™d like to be able to pause for a sec to cut a gem for the socket, not have to wait to get back to town to access a station to cut the gem to then socket it. First off, why make us carry around gem cutting tools in a bag slot if they are worthless at this point. Second, blacksmiths have basically been able to craft where ever they wanted (except for a few patterns that required a certain place to make the item like BRDā€™s Black Anvil and Pandariaā€™s Lightning Isles) if you had access to a thermal anvil. does this mean that thermal anvils are being done away with in Dragonflight due to the inception of these blacksmith crafting tables?

For the most part these are all good additions, though I think some tweaking needs to be done on parts of it.

2 Likes

While I think the crafting stations are a very clear QoL downgrade, Iā€™d be more okay with them if theyā€™re only needed for direct crafting. As long as we can still enchant items, socket gems, apply tinkers, etc, on the fly, Iā€™ll grudgingly accept it.

I wonā€™t like it and will probably complain about it forever, but Iā€™ll put up with it if I have to.

1 Like

Not a fan of requiring crafting stations to make things. I didnā€™t like it in Legion and this sounds even worse. Itā€™s fine to have them for people who want a more immersive RP experience, but we shouldnā€™t need them - unless you give us a portable version we can carry with us (people craft while in other areas of Azeroth too).

What happens when Dragonflight is no longer the current expansion - do you expect us to return there every time we want to craft a Dragonflight item?

5 Likes

Iā€™m so super excited for the crafting changes. More than any other part of the expansion so far I canā€™t wait for the crafted stuff to start.

How big will those reagent bags get? Bag space in general has not kept up well with all the expansions. Upping the stack size is a huge help, but would still like to see generic bags closer to 40 slot and the new reagent only bags closer to 50.

I craft transmog for about 4 expansions besides current content and Iā€™m spread out over 3 toons between crafting supplies and AH alts, and Iā€™m really only doing leather working so far since I donā€™t have space to keep doing more.

Thank you for all the work on whatā€™s to come. Iā€™m excited!

1 Like

Cool now add more guild bank slots or at the very least remove the achievement for the 8th tab

1 Like

Something Iā€™m wonderingā€¦

ā€¦will the Ultimate Gnomish Army Knife still count for all the profession tools like it does currently?

2 Likes

Shush, no.

Make Inscription MEAN something again, donā€™t just ditch it.

The original iteration was great. What weā€™ve had since then pales in comparison.

3 Likes

With those goals in mind, much like for Blacksmithing, most new Dragon Isles crafting recipes will require you to be at these new crafting stations.

As an Engineer this sounds great. Having a crafting station near the trainer makes a lot of sense. It is annoying running around to the blacksmithā€™s anvil to craft.

As an Enchanter this sounds terrible. If I am now leashed to a station to enchant guild members gear or disenchant unneeded gear, this is a huge quality of life concern. What is so special about alchemy they get to craft in raid, but an Enchanter suddenly canā€™t? As the person who supplies all the enchants for my guild and is often asked to provide enchants when in a group, this sound like a huge nerf.

Crafting stations sound fun, but they cannot be a huge quality of life nerf to long time professions that donā€™t need it.

6 Likes

Was planing on doing engineering and mining but now I wonder if I should just be mining and herbal instead.

1 Like

I think the immersion bit was just the excuse to make us waste time travelling. We had that scrapper in BFA and you would get 10 people hanging around that and I never saw or took part in any conversations.

6 Likes

What, you donā€™t chat with the folks standing near the same mailbox as you crafting up their stuff?

I agree. I cringed when I read that part. Oh great, another opportunity to either set my Hearthstone in the main hub and never in a zone Iā€™m working on, or take a leak while I flight path it back to the main hub. With DF zones being huge, thatā€™s going to be a great use of our time. I hope theyā€™ll meet their ā€œengagement metricsā€ with flight path nonsense again.

If they insist on this mess, at least give us back the flight whistle.

6 Likes

I love what the art team and model devs have done with the crafting tables. I love the goblin-esque Bunsen burner.

That said, not allowing all the tables to be portable is a total WTF. Why would you want to take a giant QOL step back here? Just let us craft wherever we are. Trying to maximize our log time with flight path time? Do you really think Dragonriding is going to be SO fun that weā€™re going to want to dragon ride back to the profession tables all the time? Come on!

If players want to RP near the tables, great. Put the tables out there and let the players that like that element of RP do that. Please stop forcing these time sink ā€œRP elementsā€ on everyone else.

7 Likes

Thatā€™s how alchemy was in Legion. Until you reached a certain point you had to go to the alchemy shop to make anything. They donā€™t tell you anymore what it is you have to do, because secret. I stopped leveling alchemists in Legion.

They really donā€™t want people leveling old professions.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s how blizz has always rolled; nothing new there.

Classic elements are not going to bring back classic andys to retail. And are just annoyances for those us who donā€™t see the value at moving at a snailā€™s pace or having to be tethered to somewhere for X reason.

2 Likes

Slight correction on a line that slipped through checks. It should have read, ā€œInscriptionā€ instead of ā€œAlchemy.ā€ As an alchemist, I just tend to think all things are about Alchemy. Sorry about the mix-up!

ā€œWith this update, you will soon find new Milling and Prospecting recipes in each expansion-specific version of Inscription and Jewelcrafting that you know.ā€

6 Likes