Dragonflight is 10.0 Done Wrong

Don’t they have a leap? It could be empowered with wings. Do they still have intervene? Could be a flighty animation. Kick could use a wing buffet animation.

This is one of those things where IMO wow missed the ball on having races actually matter for each class. Drakthyr warriors could have had stronger abilities with wings in exchange for lower health from being petite.

Seems like they’d be able to learn the other caster classes though.

Nope. Dracthyr.EXE is incompatible with learning functions, beep-boop.

That’s the thing. I’m not an “Orc” player. I’m an Orc Shaman. Adding Mage, or Priest, or whatever else to the race is meaningless from this perspective. That adds nothing to the character I’m actively playing. I have also played this character since release, and there has been something in store for him - for good or for ill - with every expansion.

That being said, I do see and understand the core of the issue you’re getting at. I think you’re overstating it, however, and you’re not really open to exploring other potential solutions. At the risk of beginning to simply talk in circles, I’ll take my leave from this particular conversation now. I think it has been wrung dry of anything potentially productive. :slight_smile: The last word is yours.

1 Like

The last word is this: There needs to be massive pushback against this kind of thing because if Blizzard thinks they can get away with it, they will do it for future races, locking them to singular classes because it’s easier to design. This hurts both current races (that can’t explore the new class) and the new races (because they’re stuck in a single lane function-wise).

Based upon n all the videos and on some cases articles I’ve read for DF, not saying it as a bad thing mind you or saying it as an insult but DF is essentially looking like a huge experiment for blizzard sold as an expansion. Talent trees , dragon riding, profession revamp, customization options galore for the new race/class and even the spirit of “bringing exploration back and no myriad systems “.

This is a “so let’s try this and see what the players think then the NEXT expansion will be more in depth”

That’s my takeaway not saying it’s requiring a lot of thought it’s pretty obvious to me.

The point here. I think vast customization for more races will follow I think DF is gonna forever change flying for the rest of wows life span and I think talent trees will be here to stay but they will get tweaked over time of course.

To me it sounds good I’m not a raider nor do I log 30 hours a week with the game (note to save me from being a hypocrite I WILL play ALOT when DF releases I normally play a ton the first month of any new expansion though I didn’t for SL).

right now the content creators I go to have pretty good reviews of alpha this far so hopefully that Carrie’s to launch.

Yep. For me, the most exciting thing about Dragonflight, aside from the theme, is 11.0. I can’t wait to see all this stuff actually carrying forward to the next expansion. Furthermore, I can’t wait to see how the next expansion pans out without having to worry about a myriad of systems.

Even though Dragonflight is getting rid of borrowed power, they’re still burdened with designing the systems that will be sticking around for awhile.

So why or how could they, when they are just being introduced to the world and having the world introduced to them know what mortals do?

This is one reason why multiple classes out the gate might not be a thing yet will come later on, either during DF or in the expansion/s to follow.

It is not that you are wrong here, it is just the Dracthyr are missing one element that is kinda needed for the adaptation you are talking about: exposure.

If they’re soldiers, it’s not a far stretch to assume they would analyze a variety of tactics that have been deployed on the field. Perhaps they did not necessary meet the same terminology as we know them now, but there’s no reason to think shields, armor, and arms were nonexistent and their use undocumented. Yes, many may retreat to the safety of becoming an Evoker, but that doesn’t mean they all 100% would. It would make sense for them to arrive at a ‘combined arms’ approach to cover the gaps present in the Evoker class. Kind of like how Tauren Paladins are ‘Sunwalkers’; their unique name for their flavor of the class.

If they were indeed meant to be soldiers, who said they had the ability to learn about such things before they were hidden away?, think of them more as the kind of experimental soldier that had their program or training stopped or not even started before their project was canceled.

More or less I am calling Occoms Razor ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor) on why the Dracthyr are not able to be other clases, and the simplest explanation for such is just a lack of exposure for one reason or another (lore wise) and mechanic wise, well , Blizzard just did not want to take away from Evoker when it is a selling point of the expansion.

You’re not ‘taking away’ from Evoker by allowing the Dracthyr to be other classes however. Just like how DK didn’t suffer despite a multitude of other classes being updated alongside it. People are going to want to play Evokers because it’s the new shiny. The problem is it’s a poison pill because as soon as the luster of the class wears off, people are going to want to see something else.

On another race, this isn’t a problem, but with the Dracthyr, well, they’re completely one-note. If I like Orcs, but I get tired of Warrior, no problem! I can try Shaman, or Mage, or Warlock. If I get tired of Evoker, or it’s gimmick isn’t fun to play in high-execution settings especially compared to some of the fire-and-forget natures of other classes, well, then I’m out of luck if I still want to play a Dracthyr.

That’s what I’m trying to fight against, because Blizzard has set the race up so far that Dracthyr won’t be anything but Evoker, because they haven’t defined what a Dracthyr’s racials are versus what an Evoker’s powers are.

Hence WHY one of the arguments against you is the idea that they will add those classes LATER. You are running with teh assumption that Evokers are all that Dracthyr are ever going to be. Maybe Blizzard has an ida on what will be race abilities and what will be evoker powers, but they need to see how players use each before finalizing.

Like I said before, it is not that you are wrong, but nothing you have said means that Dracthyr will only ever be evokers, that things will never change.

What would help is if Blizzard at least let players know if/when Dracthyr would be getting other classes or what the plan for the race was.

I mean, yes, it is technically tilting at windmills, but the issue is that the windmills are also actually real and actually problematic. Because they’ve sold this as a race-class and haven’t tried to differentiate the ‘Dracthyr’ from the ‘Evoker’, there’s no evidence the groundwork is being laid to expand those class options in the future.

If a Dracthyr weren’t an Evoker, what would their racials be? The fact that there’s no clear answer to this very simple question is telling and concerning.

True, but you can stop yourself before you crash into them which I think is something that tends not to happen in discussions like this.

Though I will admit, questions like

Are the right ones to ask, and Blizzard should at least address them before DF release, even if such it too late to add more classes to the race before release.

Evokers are what they were made to be.

Not according to the game lore they aren’t. They were created as soldiers the top tier of those soldiers who can manage full mastery of their powers are Evokers.

Evokers
Every dracthyr is an expert soldier. Whatever weyrn they serve, they use their talents to defend dragonkind in obedience to the Earth-Warder. Yet even among such illustrious ranks, there are a select few who transcend the skills of their kin. Who are able to master the specialties of all weyrns and shift between roles at will. These are the evokers. The best of the best, finest of the finest.
These elite forces possess the rare potential to focus their essences into an instrument of preservation or a weapon of devastation. The journey to such mastery is long, and few dracthyr can see this path through. But those who learn to harness their full potential shall be honored with the title of evoker.[10]

Oh, so there are non-evoker Dracthyr.

I’ll gladly be a failed Evoker taking up Magery or being a Warrior, thanks!

1 Like

Yep per the very lore in the start zone even.

I thought I explained that.

I have bought two months of play time. One around last Christmas, and this current month ticking down.

I bought one around xmas time to see Winterveil. I love the atmosphere.

This time… I don’t know why I did it… you got me.

But folks need to quit acting like it is illogical to have quit playing a game but to still follow it.

It’s as if we can’t have a hobby for 12 years, quit the hobby, but still peek in from time to time. I never understand why people needle this condition that many hobbyists of many different hobbies experience.

Play baseball in school and check in on your favorite pro team from time to time with your bad 41-year-old knees? It’s like that.

That is exactly what we are playing. The top tier Dracthyr therefore an evoker.

I see it differently. I’ve always loved dragon stories. My favorite dragon stories are Anne McCaffery’s books where the dragons are fighting against thread on Pern.

It was fun seeing them in Northend. Can’t wait to do a full expansion based on WOW dragons.