Dragonflight feels like the Alliance getting a "happily ever after" moment

Still saved the world

1 Like

And its still not a form of attonement/reparation.

1 Like

Saving innocents is more than atonement

It’s the only right way to handle the situation

1 Like

They were saving themselves more so than any innocents. Saving innocents was a side benefit. Not the goal.

1 Like

The goal was saving the world

Which they did

1 Like

To save their skins.

1 Like

1 Like

How does that not apply to the Alliance also?

1 Like

For alot of them you are right it wouldnt be different. Others like the Alliance pursing the Horde though the dark portal that was motivated by helping others not suffer the same fate as Azeroth rather then any clear and present danger to the Alliance itself.

One could also argue Varian/Anduin’s goal of trying to minimize casualties on both sides is as altruistic as possibly because it is actually not beneficial to the Alliance, if anything it is a detrimental. Another example is Jaina helping the taurens get their capital back.

1 Like

It’s real easy to argue motivations of those you like and don’t like. That is why it is so useless.

The bottom here is you note self interest in the Horde saving the world. But the Alliance has the exact same self interest.

2 Likes

I can see an argument against that :

“I am so damn great, If I endure… many countless others will benefit.”

That sort of logic - that others would benefit from the greatness of one seeking self preservation- could be altruism.

One of the lessons of WoW is that both Factions need each other to survive. In that sense, altruism and self preservation are a cycle. Like the cycle of hatred.

So the Horde doesn’t benefit at all in the world not being destroyed? They have no personal interests that involve the world existing undestroyed?

My point is the horde benefits…. As does everyone else

It’s literally been the point I was making the entire time.

It was zerde who was attempting to try and say otherwise

1 Like

I don’t think he was trying to downplay that everyone else benefits.

Let’s say I kidnap you, and while I’m driving and you’re in the back, and a semi-truck runs a redlight going 90 miles an hour and I swerve out of the way, narrowly stopping them from hitting us saving both of your lives, you’re not mad about me kidnapping you anymore after that?

Tell me, what moral dilemma are the horde facing when they choose to help save the world? Don’t help and risk dying in the process, or help and save themselves and also the alliance, coincidentally. It’s not a moral dilemma, similarly to how me swerving the car out of the way when you’re in the back isn’t a moral dilemma for me either.

1 Like

No, he was outright stating that the only reason the Horde helped was because the world was at risk. Which is not true; Horde players, just like Alliance players, are part of early recruitment before the full scope of the threat is made clear.

5 Likes

I don’t agree with this premise at all for either faction, I think both could assume that anything that requires their help could become a existential threat especially by like post wotlk.

I like this line of reasoning. The next time someone asks “Alynsa, why are you still doing the Community Soup thing?”

“It could become an existential threat to the entire world if I do not!!”

3 Likes