Dragon riding (old world issues)

They would have to do some work in order to get it to work, and that takes time, money, and other resources. They are not going to devote those to older zones until they know for a fact that this is a feature that will last longer than an xpac.

Who cares!

There are multiple videos demonstrating people having fun using this in the old world.
Fun. The reason people play games. For fun.

My god this ‘it’s not practical’ mindset comes from the same people who will literally hamstring their gameplay experience in order to increase their DPS or some crap. It actually boggles the mind that people think this way.

What’s worse, it’s something I’d expect from a blue post.

3 Likes

For me I play games fairly and for fun but fairness comes out on top on my priority list.

:point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2: :point_up_2:

Your tirade is misplaced. I’m not saying not to embrace this new system. I’m saying there needs to be some sort of thought given to the game in its entirety. If you don’t, you end up with the kind of thinking that led blizz to make borrowed power systems for the last 3 expacs. And we all know how well that went down now don’t we. Besides, there are many that would get rightfully pissed if you suddenly found that you couldn’t effectively use any of your flying mounts in an old flying enabled zone.

I’ve suggested previously that the way around the problem is to simply allow each mount to have its own mount equipment. You could have mount equipment that enables the new physics system and other equipment that works as it does now thus preserving the no-clip flying we have now.

Blizz created the mount equipment system expressly to stop people having an “unfair advantage” by splitting the playerbase between those who had the water strider and those that didn’t. Ok fine. Maybe they should actually update the system and put it to use rather than leaving it as basically a giant middle finger to the playerbase over the water strider.

The dev team has told us quite a few times now that they will implement Dragonriding into the old world if the players like it enough. They’re just hesitant to allow it everywhere now out of caution in case people end up getting sick of it after the honeymoon phase of the expansion.

Valid concern on their end but at the same time I just say enable it everywhere now.

2 Likes

If they allowed it in the old world I don’t think traditional flying would survive outside of gathering, or those players who can’t go 10yds without flying. Once you get used to that speed, you won’t want to go back. In fact I’m sure it won’t be long before people demand faster flying because dragon riding has made 310% feel slow.

Yeah I don’t think it really qualifies as “borrowed power” unless it fundamentally changes the mechanics or the power of your character in combat.

This is almost a guarantee, once people get a taste of 910% speed they’ll want 910% alt-tab autopilot.

1 Like

I genuinely would never use dragon riding anywhere I could use normal flying tbh.

I really don’t like the idea of not being able to afk mid-flight. door bell rings: answer door, come back to game and character is on the ground with no charges and no high cliffs in sight. Guess you better start walking.

Also having to walk up a mountain to jump or waiting for charges to refresh so I can take off from the ground just sounds obnoxious

IMO the doorbell argument is much stronger for M+ than for flight, particularly for those of us in apartments who have to go down multiple floors to receive deliveries and such, but it’s always shot down which feels silly. You’re just supposed to eat the key level burn if anything at all goes wrong during the run.

My main problem is it will only be available on the special dragon mounts. They look pretty cool and I am excited to customize them, but sadly dragons have never been my preferred mount. If they are to expand dragon riding they will have to do something about all our other mounts. Once you start fiddling with those they sure as heck better acknowledge a lot of them shouldn’t work like dragon riding. Mounts that are purely magical, or mechanical like a gyrocopter, should be able to hover indefinitely and move backwards. These are things I hope Blizz will address.

At minimum old dragon mounts should be retrofitted with Dragonriding. No reason I shouldn’t be able to use my netherdrake I worked hard to get back in TBC.

2 Likes

Not really. No one is forced to do a mythic plus whereas dragon riding is a requirement to travel “efficiently” in dragon isles.

“No one is forced to raid whereas flying is a requirement to travel efficiently”
Kinda silly, no? Also (if we’re going by efficiency=forced content, which I understand/agree) mythic+ is kinda required to raid, and up until recently even PvP… and raiding is still kinda required to mythic+, at least effectively and efficiently (What is efficient in mythic+? If efficiency was the goal, would anyone do beyond 15s as fast as they can?)

Depending on what you’re doing it might not even be more efficient to use dragon riding. Raiding and M+ the “most efficient” transportation is summoning, and if that’s your goal well hey, the others will just be travelling there faster than they would with 330% flight speed.

But on the other hand, for anybody who runs M+ even a little, the amount of time spent traveling will be absolutely dwarfed by the amount of time spent behind an instance portal. Chances are, if an unwelcome interruption is going to occur it’ll be in the middle of a dungeon run, not from getting from point A to point B, especially if you’re decent at dragonriding and spend most time in the air at 910% speed.

Additionally, an interruption midflight has only a moderate negative impact on oneself while an interrupted dungeon results in the time of 4 other people and potentially somebody else’s key going to waste.

At the moment that’s a non issue. maybe worry about that in 11.0

Guys please try to maintain the conversation in the megathread so as not to spam too much the forums, thanks:

I agree. The last thing we need or want is more borrowed power.

Semper Fi! :us: :ukraine:

As an achievement hunter that flys way to much in old content. I disagree and ill 100% leave this game again if they don’t add it. I’m shocked it wasn’t available day 1… It would add fresh life to traveling to old raids to Mount and Achievement hunt. Hitting autorun and flying at a safe and cuddly 380% is already like watching black n white television after touching dragon riding. I think old mounts should just be able to hover… that’s the only thing they should have over a dragon riding mount in my opinion.

Tell me you haven’t found all the glyphs without telling me you haven’t found all the glyphs.

Flat ground is no problem for maxed out dragonriding.