Dragon riding (old world issues)

The issues are that dragon riding won’t work on the old world due to the fact that the old world wasn’t made for it nor was it designed for this new feature. The only way it will is by building brand new zones that would allow it otherwise just scrap the feature and just continue to use the traditional flying. (even though traditional flying isn’t going anywhere)

I think the larger zones like EK, Kalimdor, Outland, and Northrend would probably support it just fine (though Outland could be perilous with those voids between areas). It’d be the soap-dish-sized zones where it’d really be a problem.

1 Like

This is why I desperately want the next expansion to have an EK and Kalimdor Revamp.

The world was last revamped in Cataclysm. That was 6 years after the Inital release of WoW.
It has now been almost 12 years, and we haven’t had a world revamp since then.

EK and Kalimdor are hilariously underdeveloped and low quality compared to modern WoW, and the new system for mounting seems like a perfect reason for revamping them.

The circular reasoning is a perfect circle.

6 Likes

Dracthyr can use their racial anywhere flying is allowed your point is invalid.

Dragon riding is just using momentum to go fast.

10 Likes

Dragon riding will not be available in any expansion after DF either.

Have you used it? It’s kind of weird and unlike traditional flying

Dragon riding will probably be DF island exclusive

but down the line we might use the mounts we get in the older zones

Evokers had no issue soaring around at mach speed in the old world so your argument is fundamentally flawed.

6 Likes

Have seen videos of it. Looks like it’d work well enough as long as the zone you’re navigating isn’t as flat as a pancake.

Dragonriding would work fine in the old world.

Keep in mind the Dracthyr Soar racial ability is a bare-bones version of Dragonriding. They’re missing the vigor system and their flying abilities are on a 5 minute cool down.

Actual Dragonriding would allow players to maintain their altitude as they use abilities to gain altitude, coast at max speed, and regenerate vigor mid-flight to then use abilities once again. It would work perfectly fine.

4 Likes

RIP Tanaris :laughing:
You should check your B.Net launcher to see if you have alpha, lot of people got invites (myself included). It’s really weird to use and I am predicting a lot of knee jerk “This is dumb” threads being made when people get to use it for the first time. I think it’ll take some play to get used to how it works.

The world was better pre-revamp. The world is terrible now compared to the original and I worry if they ever tried again it would end up even worse.

So, dragon riding is just another borrowed power feature, gotcha.

Or is it?

I wouldn’t trust this dev team to re-vamp a dirty toilet, the last time they re-vamped something, they completely ruined some vanilla dungeons.

Semper Fi! :us: :ukraine:

2 Likes

Oh so you are saying modern zones sucks mores than say any of the ugly old zones that are very dated

Trying to understand what the barriers are to simply “turning it on” in a zone…

Does dragon riding work in a open vacuum?
Does it need to read terrain below it for some effects?
Does the the dragon isles have any dragon-riding-specific data encoded into the map?

No luck this time unfortunately. Would be nice to get in early, last couple xpacs I only got in during the stress test phase when the beta is almost over.

If drriding is confined to one expansion, its effectively another example of borrowed power that everyone seems to dislike so much; ie something that you can only get or do in one specific expansion.

Thats mostly why I dont see it as flight, but as a gimmick or minigame within the expansion, like the ones that exist in MoP where you get a Cloud Serpent and have to fly it around a course through cloud circles to get some achievement.

People call our current flying swimming in the air, and frankly I don’t care how you define it, as long as I can make use of it everywhere within the game.

How is it borrowed power when it has none.