Dragon Aspects Humanoid Forms

While doing another failed run for Mimiron’s head it occurred to me that during the creation of the Dragonsoul, Neltharion looks like a human and Alextraza, Malygos and Nozdormu look like High Elves.

Assuming these models shouldn’t just be considered placeholders or shorthand, why would they assume the appearances of peoples thousands of years before their existence? Nozdormu you could argue just sees all time and assumed a High Elf form, but that leaves Alextraza, Malygos and Neltharion’s appearances unexplained.

Of course it can be hand waved as just placeholder shorthand conventions for the sake of the communicating the event in what would be a stressful fast paced situation when Ulduar was relevant in Wrath.

But I suppose it might be more than that.

What’s your theories?

Why did the Istari appear as old men, when in fact they were spirits?

I think they pick their forms.

2 Likes

Yar, but why pick forms for people that don’t exist yet, that they might not even know will ever exist unless Nozdormu showed the Aspects visions of High Elves and Humans?

2 Likes

Humans actually existed long before the War of the Ancients. Around 15,000 years ago was when the vrykul started exiling the “failed” infants. By the time of the Sundering humans full well lived in the world. It’s just at the time they were made of many scattered tribes. Their empires didn’t really kick off until 3,000 years ago at the Troll Wars.

2 Likes

How do you know it isn’t the other way around, and those races were created from the forms the aspects took?

1 Like

They picked them when they had the need to interact with us. They didn’t have a need thousands of years ago.

Ah, ok. For some reason I thought it was after The Sundering that happened.

Yeah, but the specific event I’m talking about was in the vision of the creation the Dragonsoul. They were only with each other. This would place the event 10,000ish years ago before now, just before The Sundering. This would be well before the Highborne sailed to Quel’Thelas, so they would yet to become Quel’dorei.

1 Like

I guess technically, Nozdormu could see into the future and be like, “Wow, these Elves are pretty hot. Alex, Ys, take a look at this.”

And they’re like, “Oh, this would look amazing with a bikini outfit and some see-thru cloth. This will be really popular when those elves are made.”

I’m hoping this will be made into official lore.

5 Likes

What we see in our vision of the Dragon Soul is our own perception. The dragons appear in forms that would be familiar to us because that is what would make sense to our mortal brains.

Think about it like the personification of all the pantheons of gods in human history. They’re modeled after us because it’s easiest for humans to comprehend (and then relate to) a form that is familiar, versus what a true form could be that is outside our realm of understanding.

2 Likes

I thought we all traveled back in time for that.

1 Like

Yar, I know it’s easily explainable as artistic convention to more quickly explain what is happening. And likely that’s exactly what it is.

But what I’m asking is, what if it’s more that that? What fun conclusions and speculation could we jump to?

Aspects can take one pretty much any form they want. The only reason they don’t take on unique forms in game is because of time constraints, and the fact that they don’t want to flesh out an entirely unique model for a character. The in game models aren’t necessarily what they have to be.

In Heroes of the Storm, where they create new models for each hero, Alexstraza look more like Kultiran than a High Elf.

I can think of 3 good answers here.

1. Having a giant Dragon form can be very inconvenient at times. Just ask the Tauren who slam their head on the AH doors everytime they forget to dismount. So they each chose a form from a mortal, and smaller, race that they felt comfortable with.

2. Nozdormu has dominion over Time:

1. It’s a vision and so it’s our mind’s interpretation of an event as seen through magic. It’s possible that magic is showing them in those forms within the vision so that we can comprehend who and what they are.
1 Like

Heh, yeah, I used to have this impression that humans were a relatively “new” species, when in truth they’re older than elves.

I always thought it was tied to the races the titans made, but elves weren’t one of the original machine people right? They came from the Trolls. Were the trolls a titan creation gone all fleshy?

I like this explanation very much.

I always thought this too. Especially for Ysera. Her interactions were mainly with nelf druids and the dream, yet she doesn’t take a night elf humanoid form.

That is… actually a good question!

Yes, this is exactly what happened