Dracthyr, Soar, and the Open World

I couldn’t have been the only one excited when Dragonflight was announced and the shiny new race to be that became the Dracthyr was revealed. I was enthralled with the very concept of the race, trying to find out any details I could and applying to the beta ASAP to test the race out.

However when I finally did get into Beta during the last month before launch I was a little disappointed by a few things. The first being that Dracthyr could not use their wings as a normal flying mount the way Worgen could use running wild as a self ground mount. I thought surely this would have been a top of the list feature. Soar was unfortunately the feature that had apparently took it’s place… and it is in every account of the word: limited.

I think some players would have preferred to use their wings as their own flying mount rather than the limited system that is soar. Sure Soar is fast and allows you to cross vast distances in the blink of an eye. Sure it’s fun and engaging and you have to time things right… but this was not what I was expecting when a winged race was announced as the next playable race.

When it was revealed that Dragon riding talents would, to some extent, contribute to Soar’s cooldown and maneuvers, I was willing to let the let down slide away. A 1 Minute cooldown on Soar’s initial lengthy cooldown was too good to pass up. But once again, to my disappointment… these features are limited only to when you are in the Dragon Isles. I also recall the devs mentioning that it would be silly for a dragon to be riding a dragon via dragon riding and that something was to be done about this… but nothing was? I had expected at the very least that when a dracthyr arrived in the dragon isles that their normal Soar would be replaced by a function similar to the Dragon Riding UI and they could take off and go as they pleaser with vigor allowing it. But once again… I was left disappointed by a race I was heavily contemplating replacing my main with as my new main.

A lot of Dracthyr players wanted to be able to use the fact they have wings to be able to fly naturally and as easily as popping a flying mount in previous expansion zones that allowed open world flying. A lot also wanted Dracthyr’s soar to be akin to dragon riding while in the Dragon Isles.

Is it too late to make these desires a reality? Or is this something we could potentially get down the road?

Let Dracthyr fly in the Dragon Isles!

21 Likes

I’ve attempted to search for a Lore reason as to why Dracthyr cannot use their wings to fly and I’m coming up blank for any justifiable reason why they can’t.

If it’s possible, I’d like to request a new ability for Dracthyr while not completely removing Soar.

To the Skies - Allows Dracthyr to use their wings as a normal flying mount. When on the Dragon Isles the ability will function like mounting a dragon riding drake and have access to the dragonriding UI.

The animations for flying are all there. All Dracthyr NPC’s know how to fly at will. But our Dracthyr, the players Dracthyr, seem to have had their wings clipped.

8 Likes

It really does look a little odd to have to see a Dracthyr ride the back of a dragon or what have you in order to be able to fly as other mounts do in the old world, and I haven’t really understood the reason to not just allow them to fly. I’d say an even more accurate comparison would be Monks’ Zen Flight (though that one is slower than the fastest mounts).

And yes, seeing other Dracthyr characters be able to simply fly away while your only option is Soar just adds insult to injury. x)

12 Likes