Dracthyr RP discussion thread

Would be nice if they opened other classes for them.
Me and my fiance have some fun names we had been holding onto for a while that would fit a pally, priest, warrior or even a DK.

Though to be fair… Not sure how some of those things would even work out lorewise :L

My Dracthyr is absolutely going to look down on those that act as if they don’t know what anything is. Probably saying something along the lines of “this is why the dragons abandoned us”

But outside of that, he’ll hold some disdain towards the dragons due to the events of the starting area, but won’t outright rebel against the dragons.
He’ll be more willing to aid the mortal factions, rather than the dragons, especially once he learns that the mortals have done a better job protecting the world than the dragons have.

If I put him in a non-Dracthyr guild, he’ll likely be helping them with expeditions to the Dragon Isles and cataloging artifacts and other forms of research.

1 Like

I plan on mine being involved with the Cenarion Circle. Not sure what I’ll do with him outside of that.

2 Likes

I’ll probably at least check them out.

I’ve decided I want mine to be a spellkeeper of sorts, one who researches, learns, maintains archives of, and protects magic. Basically a glorified librarian who also occasionally steps in when someone’s being a dummy and dangerous with their spells. She could mentor someone, and I’d love to have a moment where she’s explaining some ‘newfound’ concept/theorem and her apprentice goes “Ma’am, that’s been common knowledge for like, a thousand years.” Or the classic “That’s not how we did it when I was in school.”

She also doubles as someone who can attend combat events as well as lend her magical knowledge to a situation (which still has an avenue for failure as she obviously would need to do some catching up on discoveries in that field, so she’s not an ominscient being).

My only hope is that they let us hide all transmog on the dragon form. I don’t want the pieces from my visage form’s mog to cover up the barber shop dragon armor.

3 Likes

I probably won’t be RPing one, but I’ll at least check em out. The specs look really cool, though I wish they’d gotten a tank spec too. The healing spec in particular looks really fresh, and I’m kinda bummed blizz wasn’t willing to add in an equally fresh tank spec - the others have been kinda stale to me for a while.

I do wonder how many folks with use 'em as a ‘real dragon in disguise’ kind of thing.

1 Like

I thought about that, and I thought about making a form that’s harder to tell from existing races, but now I’m learning more towards a character who is blatantly themselves, has a perspective outside the experience of the previous WoW races, and will bluntly speak inconvenient truths.

I mean, if they’re going to be disliked anyhow, it might as well be for something I enjoy doing. :rofl:

1 Like

I think I’ll enjoy the fresh perspective their background will bring to the characters - and frick, it’ll be nice for Blizz to actually be motivated to expand on lore for once and in the future, as opposed to all the stuff that hasn’t gotten any new lore in years (wtf happened to the netherdrakes? Where are they? Void Elves? Vulpera? Etcetc).

I was super stoked to race change my “sekrit dragon” character to a Dracthyr to get to use the draconic features, unfortunately Dracthyr don’t actually have a fully mortal “hiding” form so it didn’t work out for my purposes.

I’ll probably make a separate Dracthyr version of the character just in case there’s ever a reason to use the “visage” form with the neat Draconic accents, but for everyday use it just won’t work for my character who’s still on the down-low.

2 Likes

I’m definitely going to be fully maining one in every aspect but I’m struggling to come up with anything interesting for RP for one. Beyond the idea of… the generic whole ‘exploring the lands’ because they’re brand new to everything. I still haven’t even really decided on their personality even.

1 Like

Upon learning more about the Dracthyr starting zone I am glad that not every Dracthyr is an Evoker with mastery over their magics.

I will probably be RPing mine similar to a starting 5e Sorcerer: Has the innate abilities to unleash the magic but won’t have the intricate knowledge to fully ‘cast’.
Gives my character the motivation of wanting to expand his knowledge/power with the endgame goal of earning the title of ‘Evoker’.

Definitely will have some ill will towards the dragons for locking the Dracthyr on the Forbidden Reach without a trial, but will be wanting to interact with the mortals (particularly mages) to further his magical knowledge.

1 Like

I got some early ideas.

The Dracthyr I intend on roleplaying is going to be an Evoker of the Obsidian Scales (so, an Alliance Dracthyr). I’m still figuring out their personality. So far it’s something along the lines of inquisitive, with an interest in the pursuit of knowledge.

The part I’ve really figured out is how I’d handle them in RP, d20 encounters. What’s going to set them apart from others is that he only knows five specific spells. Each spell represents a dragonflight’s magic. The kicker is that each spell is so potent that he alone cannot actually cast them. So in order to cast any one of the spells, my Evoker must rely on the actions of his allies. I’m still figuring out the kinks of the magical explanation of that, but so far it’s along the lines of absorbing residual mana they release and creating essence out of it that he can then harness. That’s not to say he can’t generate his own essence for the spells, but needs more than what he can get independently. Anyway, each spell is intended to require several actions of allies before having enough to cast, and each are suppose to be very potent.

That in mind, the function of my Evoker’s d20 mechanics is going to be used in a roleplay campaign I wish to hosting for my friends in early Dragonflight. I’m using my character to fill the mechanic for a Limit Break. Similar to FF14 mechanic of gaining a party wide resource to spend for huge results.

My gnome monk will think they’re cool and want to befriend one to know more about them and the Dragon Isles. She’ll want to someday go on an adventure in the isles.

My human death knight will be hesitant of them, given he’s from Alterac originally and it was destroyed by Deathwing.

Not sure what any other character of mine would bother doing yet.

1 Like

I’ve looked into them a bit, and i’ll probably at least play one. Not sure if i’ll try to RP one, though.

I plan on RPing one, at least in the beginning because I think it’ll be a special “once in a lifetime” type of hype with everyone wanted to try their dragons. I’m not sure if I’ll stick with it. Idk if I’m going to make mine Horde or Alliance though. That’s my dilemma.

1 Like

I have my TRP already set up. Due to the lore that is already out, what I plan on doing with mine is making her clueless on the recent events with the other races. But having her understand she has been awoken due to the threat of her own kind. Though she will remain hidden in her human visage. Because from what I have gathered the Alliance is not too keen on having them in their city.

1 Like

I wish they had more class variety. Maybe they’ll add some more in later, though. Not sure on all the lore with that.

1 Like

I will not be RPing a Dracthyr. I am however using the Dracthyr as a stand in for my Red dragon, who I thought of as an evoker type class before evokers were even announced.

1 Like

While I won’t be RPing one specifically, I hope some interesting guilds pop up around them.

1 Like

Short answer, mine will likely become my secondary main. I plan on RPing her as an export of another character of mine from FFXIV, barring that the obvious circumstances of her existence and state of being will be different.

Personally a big fan of the found family type trope and Dracthyr are PRIMED to take advantage.

Currently thinking Dracthyr who doesn’t want to be a soldier (in spite of his nature and reason for being)- wants to be a Librarian or archivist of some kind to preserve Azeroths knowledge and, more importantly, it’s many cultures and people’s traditions.

As far as i can tell there isn’t much in the way of Dracthyr culture or traditions, so he’s wanting to create his own or be invited to participate in others. I’ve done some spoiler-y reading and I’ve got some ideas about it but won’t spoil here.

I like the idea of him being extremely emotional when invited to participate in any kind of cultural or traditional event: invited for a drink? He’s gonna cry. Birthday? Cry. Hallows Eve revelry? Cry.

Otherwise not planning on having him be in awe of every little thing as i think it’s gonna get old fast, plus Dracthyr are built soldiers they probably wouldn’t get too tripped up on some new weird thing, perhaps a cool distant analysis? I’m not sure. He will be very excited just being invited to stuff. Maybe give lectures or write essays. Im excited for the class and haven’t been this inspired for a character in awhile, I’m not sure why it appeals to me so much.

At least that’s my stream of consciousness on the topic.

3 Likes